Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ?? Boyds pro varm. - no pillar/bedding (thoughts) ??

Basic Member

Good idea, I will try to get some pics of it tommorrow night of it mounted in the stock w/ screws finger tight. Function is the #1 concern, I'd like to keep it cosmetically nice, as long as it's practical, but don't want to go extremes to do so. thanks

Basic Member
    ice tea, going to send a PM with a link.

Banned
    As for function, you won’t have a problem. The sides of the stock inlet don’t “hold” the Action from going anywhere. It’s only the immediate bottom surface...not sure exactly, but only a small degree of the circumference from each of the Action screw center line.

I would absolutely 100% recommend bedding it though. There are dozens of epoxies and really any of well known brands work well. I use Devcon Plastic Steel https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-62345-...3910770&sr=8-1

Everyone here will tell you the same. You’ll be glad you did. It’s really the only way to prevent creep. Again, I’d push aluminum pillars as well, but at least the bedding.

Basic Member
    With my Spike Camp stock I was having hard contact with the rear tang where the safety tab is. I have been told these Savage like that area free floated just as well as the barrel. I built up two layers of tape on the stock under the rear tang before I did my bedding. The bedding did make a tremendous difference in the way it shot. Your stock inletting looks exactly as mine did.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    With my Spike Camp stock I was having hard contact with the rear tang where the safety tab is. I have been told these Savage like that area free floated just as well as the barrel. I built up two layers of tape on the stock under the rear tang before I did my bedding. The bedding did make a tremendous difference in the way it shot. Your stock inletting looks exactly as mine did.
    Absolutly you are correct in that. The tang should be floated. About the space of a piece of card stock. Your tape trick works well also.

Basic Member
    Thanks for that. I took a lot of mentoring from the folks at Shooters Forum and The High Road forums before attempting my first try. It actually took me two attempts to get it good. At that point I had nothing to loose because the stock Boyds sent wouldn't shoot worth a dam. Went from 2" groups at 200yds to 10" groups just from the stock change. This stock was purchased from Boyds Rapid Fire page so it was as-is, no returns.

But in my mind the stock purchase and then bedding work were worth the cost and the experience of doing this. Yes I would do it again and am actually right now working on a Richards Microfit stock for a Model 11.

Basic Member

Basic Member
    Very nice, thanks for sharing! I wanted a Pro Varmint but instead bought the Spike Camp because I'm cheap!

Banned
    Good pictures. It’s fine man. No problem with it. Like I said, that area is not critical in preventing creep. The much bigger issue is bedding. I would also even the barrel channel. The gap between barrel & forearm is uneven in picture #6.

Basic Member
    OK, good, thank you guys for checking that out. On this rifle/223 , Id like to get it operational asap, so i can try out stock. If things are likeable, I will immediatly order another stock, for the 308, which i will plan to pillar/bed, before using. if successful/happy w that, i will come back to this rifle and do the same. So, to get this one temporarally operational, Id like to get the safety tang floated, as right now, its making contact to stock and screws arent even torqued. So I was thinking of laying in a layer or two of emery cloth, upside down b/t receiver and supports to shim it up? Sound good, or any thoughts of something else/better to shim receiver up ? I got sheetmetal also, actually have all kinds of crap layin around.

In 9th pic down, suffix "86v", you can see I cant get bolt lever to close, as it don't line up w/ notch. Does a dremel w/ a barrel shaped sander sound good to remove wood material there? Also, thinking of using it to widen trigger guard valley in stock, as its a lil to narrow, so I can get guard in there, unless someone suggest something else. Yes, Dave, Ill do something to even the barrel gap. KMW, I got the stock shipped for a couple bucks under $200. I thought that was reasonable. t he only thing i added custom was the colored laminate. Boyds offers many options, but the price increases/adds up quick. I figured I can try to do something myself later to increase the LOP. I'm not familiar w/ the stock or pricing of the Spike Camp you got.

Banned
    I wouldn't use emery cloth or ANY cloth of any kind. And no tape of any kind. Nothing soft. The contact between Stock & Action surfaces must be solid. Anything malleable(cloth or tape), is a recipe for massive creep! If anything, I would sand under the tang to give it just a little float. Or, honestly... if you are in a rush to shoot it...just leave it until you bed the whole thing. With no bedding, it's not going to be night & day difference with a floated/not floated tang. But again.. DO NOT use a soft material like cloth, tape, etc, under the lugs. Can't use solid shims either obviously. MUST be bedding compound or just leave it. There really is no "get me by" here man. Either bed it properly, or leave it alone to shoot.

For the hard component fitting sure, you can use a Dremel....as long as YOU CAN USE a Dremel. Know what I mean? For the bolt handle U notch, I'd say try sand paper first. I can't imagine it needing much material removed. Just remember... you can take it off, but y can't put it back!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    ...you can use a Dremel....as long as YOU CAN USE a Dremel....
    I have lost count of the number of parts I have ruined with a Dremel. It doesn't take off enough material...then it takes off too much!

Basic Member
    In the second picture everything looks to fit better? Are you able to get the action screws in and does it slide fore and aft?
    I used a Dremel and a small sanding drum to open up the inletting on the bottom metal and trigger guard. Also used a large handled screw driver wrapped in 120grit sandpaper to open up under the rear tang. I sanded up to the bolt handle cutout. Just go slow and try refitting often.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I have lost count of the number of parts I have ruined with a Dremel. It doesn't take off enough material...then it takes off too much!
    Indeed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12