Thread: Boyds at-one thumbhole or mdt lss xl gen 2?

Boyds at-one thumbhole or mdt lss xl gen 2?

So I've been hunting with my factory model 11 trophy hunter .308 for years, and I'm mostly happy with it's performance, but being the type that can't leave well enough alone, I'm ready to play around some. First thing first I'm looking at upgrading from the tupperware factory stock. My rifle has the bottom bolt release, detachable box mag, and plastic trigger guard.

The question: Boyds At-One Thumbhole Wood Stock or MDT LSS XL Gen 2 chassis?

The considerations: the boyds stock is cheaper but after the seeming rigamarole of trying to find bottom metal I'd have a persistent itch to scratch about bedding the thing, which I'm not ready to try on my own.

The MDT chassis seems pretty straightforward with a super appealing instant gratification angle, plus the options for future customization. Downsides are I prefer the look of the boyds, and the MDT doesn't come with a buttstock, so that adds to the cost.

There isn't much direct comparison between the two online, so I'm wondering if y'all have opinions about them that may help. This is my go to hunting rifle, but both seem up to the task.

Basic Member
    I'm not going to lie, the LSS XL is very nice. It is not too heavy, looks nice and just as you expect, it is rigid. I like it a LOT. With the addition of a stock, it is a LOT more expensive option of the two.

The only experience i have with the At one is from handling it at a local store that has some on guns they display. it felt pretty good, but i don't think i can give a good comparison just because of the limited time i have with the At-One.

I have several chassis (6mm creed, 6.5 creed,308, etc.) along with the one you’re inquiring about. I also have a Magpul Hunter 700 stock in 243 that I love and been waiting for them to release the Hunter stock for a Savage.

I have a Savage in a Boyd’s thumbhole stock which I bedded and cut down (LOP). I need adjustability (LOP and cheek riser) so I just ordered the At-One thumbhole for my Savage with 26” SS BB in .223.

You pretty much listed the pro’s and con’s so it boils down to personal choice.

............EDIT...............

The .223 will be used for PD and predator hunting (calling). I mainly use the chassis’ to shoot steel (prone, bench and tripod) to 1000 yds.

I also hunt hogs and prefer the AR platform.

Everything I own is purpose built so not much help.

PS: I reload and all my rifles shoot MOA or better so I can’t say that I would go with one over the other as far as accuracy.
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 01-23-2021 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Afterthought

weight and feel

Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    I have several chassis (6mm creed, 6.5 creed,308, etc.) along with the one you’re inquiring about. I also have a Magpul Hunter 700 stock in 243 that I love and been waiting for them to release the Hunter stock for a Savage.

I have a Savage in a Boyd’s thumbhole stock which I bedded and cut down (LOP). I need adjustability (LOP and cheek riser) so I just ordered the At-One thumbhole for my Savage with 26” SS BB in .223.

You pretty much listed the pro’s and con’s so it boils down to personal choice.

............EDIT...............

The .223 will be used for PD and predator hunting (calling). I mainly use the chassis’ to shoot steel (prone, bench and tripod) to 1000 yds.

I also hunt hogs and prefer the AR platform.

Everything I own is purpose built so not much help.

PS: I reload and all my rifles shoot MOA or better so I can’t say that I would go with one over the other as far as accuracy.
    i am in the same position as xltedder, what opinion i am looking for is which stock/chassis you would prefer for
    1. weight/balance
    2. feel

mine is going to go on a howa 1500 .308 action for a hunting platform to carry around.

Quote Originally Posted by xltedder View Post
    So I've been hunting with my factory model 11 trophy hunter .308 for years, and I'm mostly happy with it's performance, but being the type that can't leave well enough alone, I'm ready to play around some. First thing first I'm looking at upgrading from the tupperware factory stock. My rifle has the bottom bolt release, detachable box mag, and plastic trigger guard.

The question: Boyds At-One Thumbhole Wood Stock or MDT LSS XL Gen 2 chassis?

The considerations: the boyds stock is cheaper but after the seeming rigamarole of trying to find bottom metal I'd have a persistent itch to scratch about bedding the thing, which I'm not ready to try on my own.

The MDT chassis seems pretty straightforward with a super appealing instant gratification angle, plus the options for future customization. Downsides are I prefer the look of the boyds, and the MDT doesn't come with a buttstock, so that adds to the cost.

There isn't much direct comparison between the two online, so I'm wondering if y'all have opinions about them that may help. This is my go to hunting rifle, but both seem up to the task.
    Have you considered the Oryx chassis? It's made by MDT and runs around the price of an At-One that has been pillar bedded.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa_D View Post
    Have you considered the Oryx chassis? It's made by MDT and runs around the price of an At-One that has been pillar bedded.

This was from January! I'm guessing he's likely figured it out & chosen a stock by now.

Basic Member
    Hands down get the chassis.

I've got a Boyd's pro-varmint on my competition 22lr. I I like it but I bedded it and I pillered it and i camoed it. It was more work than I expected but it Turned out pretty good. And it's definitely a cheaper way to go.

I also have the MTD Chassis for my Creedmoor love it. Sucker is rock solid. Big advantage, any AR grips, and buttstock are compatible. Disadvantage, cost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210728_173219.jpg   IMG_20210315_182527.jpg  

Banned
    LOL! No, no... I recommend you get an H-S Precision....since you are still looking for one after 9 months, Apparantly! Oh wait... I mean a Choate...UHH, no, no... make that a KRG.. or, or an Masterpiece Arms!

Screw it... just listen to all the people on Sniperhide....BURN the Savage & get a "REAL" rifle!

Basic Member
    Yes, I'm replying to a very old thread.....

If anyone is buying a MDT chassis (in my opinion) you should get the ones that do not take the AR Buttstock tube. The other options are so much nicer and feel better- even after you put a better ar style stock on them. It is a money saving option- but not worth it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    Yes, I'm replying to a very old thread.....

If anyone is buying a MDT chassis (in my opinion) you should get the ones that do not take the AR Buttstock tube.
    With one exception.....The MDT HS3 if you can still find it. It was discontinued just prior
    to the Oryx release. I'm still shooting one in competition with a PTA action. They pop up
    every now and then in the trades market.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    This was from January! I'm guessing he's likely figured it out & chosen a stock by now.
    Oops.. saw the guy before me posted a few days ago. Sorry for my part of zombie thread.