Thread: Early F prefix upgrades, input appreciated

Basic Member

Early F prefix upgrades, input appreciated

I know this is my first post here, but I figured before I spend much money, I should consult the Savage experts. Yesterday I got a pretty good deal on a 110 .223 with an earlier F serial #. It has a heavy tapered barrel, staggered mag with rear spacer block and of course long action. The action and barrel look to be in very good condition with little use. My intention is to upgrade as a groundhog and target rifle.

I will likely do some trigger adjustment as it seems a bit heavy but crisp. Also I don't really care for the stock which is not free floated and looks like years of closet dings and scratches. I am trying to keep it economical but functional. I have already ordered a Burris 4.5-14 and hoping it will fit the already installed Leupold bases and rings, if not I guess I'll add a pic rail.

I am considering this stock. https://www.eabco.net/Choate-Tactica...s_p_14690.html . Other suggestions in this price range appreciated. Options to convert to detachable mag?

Any other suggestions?

Welcome on board from Texas! you will find a plethora of information here, and have some fun in the meantime!
    "Omnia Mea Mecum Porto"

Basic Member
    Thanks. So far I decided on the hogue full bedded stock. I

Banned
    Yes, you have one of those 223 Long Actions that Savage started in the late 80’s. Your F prefix, depending on number, could be an 1989 rifle. You’ll get many different answers on Stock preference. Those you listed work fine. Depends on what you are looking to do with the rifle. Boyd’s is another solid competitor among lower cost choices. Same with Scope Rings/Bases. The most popular & trusted, is using a 1-piece Picatinny rail in 7075-T6 Billet, along with Picatinny rings or scope mount. But your Leupold bases/rings
    (I’m guessing they are Standard style)will work fine, albeit dated & a bit out of place if this is to be a Target rifle.

I had a Savage identical to yours and it was a tack driver at 200 yards with the Sierra 52 grain match bullet.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. My intention is to use this rifle primarily for groundhog hunting. I thought the barrel taper a bit strange, Bull at barrel nut tapering to a sporter profile at the muzzel. This is a 24" barrel. I am contemplating having it cut and crowned to 20".

Quote Originally Posted by shotar View Post
    Thanks guys. My intention is to use this rifle primarily for groundhog hunting. I thought the barrel taper a bit strange, Bull at barrel nut tapering to a sporter profile at the muzzle. This is a 24" barrel. I am contemplating having it cut and crowned to 20".
    Probably is considered a heavy sporter barrel. The rifle I had sported a full varmint weight to the muzzle at 24".
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    So in the course of working through my upgrades I found something odd. The original extractor is brass, not steel. It has now been replaced with steel.

The barrel is also 1-14 twist rate. I will likely replace this with something like 1-9 ish to increase versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by shotar View Post
    So in the course of working through my upgrades I found something odd. The original extractor is brass, not steel. It has now been replaced with steel.

The barrel is also 1-14 twist rate. I will likely replace this with something like 1-9 ish to increase versatility.
    Did you use a magnet or did you go by color?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Did you use a magnet or did you go by color?
    Magnet.