Thread: Zeroing a Couple of .223 Hunting Loads; 62 Grain Vs. 55 Grain

Basic Member

Zeroing a Couple of .223 Hunting Loads; 62 Grain Vs. 55 Grain

In my 110 Storm in .223, a 55 grain Hornady V-Max shoots consistently higher than a 62 grain Nosler Varmageddon HP. Is it accurate to assume that in general a heavier, slower bullet will shoot lower than a lighter, faster one ? Sorry for a basic question such as this, but I`m a relative beginner when it comes to rifle ballistics. By the way, I like the way the rifle shoots both rounds. I have a hunch that there are more factors involved, such as barrel harmonics and such. Both loads require different zeros to give 1-2 inches high at 100 yards with good groups.

Basic Member
    Normally, yes. There can be cases where a heavy bullet drops less depending on velocity differences. Basically the heavier bullet has more momentum so it loses velocity slower. At some point the heavier bullet may be going faster and drop less. Usually this happens at longer ranges, beyond 500yd.

This assumes the same bullet type. Then there is ballistic coefficient, which is usually higher for heavier match type bullets.

Banned
    Weight has no bearing on drop whatsoever. Speed & BC dictate the drop. Don’t believe me? Plug the data into your favorite Ballistics Calculator. Choose two different calibers, say 223 & 30-06. Then try a 69gr & 180. But make sure the velocity & BC (G1) are relatively close, if not same. What’s the outcome?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Weight has no bearing on drop whatsoever. Speed & BC dictate the drop. Don’t believe me? Plug the data into your favorite Ballistics Calculator. Choose two different calibers, say 223 & 30-06. Then try a 69gr & 180. But make sure the velocity & BC (G1) are relatively close, if not same. What’s the outcome?
    You wont really know untill you know.
    And you wont know untill you shoot them at various distances.
    BC has much in common with BS, at least as to how its sold by the bullet makers.

Banned
    Uh-huh... ok, thank you for that. I’ll stick with ballistics calculators which use math. (Again, evidence provided). Are they perfect? Of course not, because not all variables remain constant & we don’t live in a VACUUM! But they give great starting points(which is, I think, I believe the purpose of them?) Anyone who wishes can believe your “because I said so” argument. But I & I’m sure many other shooters will use BC for what it is; overcoming air resistance in flight. Oh, and those little things Math & Physics provided by Ballistics Calculators.

But I guess you just “KNOW”, huh?

Oh yeah... and since my little “test” gave the results of my hypothesis....... I.G.N.O.R.E.

Basic Member
    Didn`t really mean for my question to turn into an argument! Anyway, whatever the reason(s), they both group well enough (particularly so the Hornady 55 grain V-Max ) for predators.

Basic Member
    Nobody accused you of being wrong Dave, everybody today has access to that type information to at least some degree.
    You know full well that velocity plays a large roll in establishing the BC of any bullet.
    So some guy buys a Savage 338 lapua and picks say a Berger 300 gr bullet because it has a great BC.
    Problem is that probably wont be the case with his gun because of the velocity.
    And you will probably have a hard time convincing the guy that he might have better results with a 250 gr having a lower BC but higher velocity in his gun.
    But Berger, like most others dosent say on the box that the BC# was established using a velocity of say 3000 fps and maybe an 8 twist barrel.
    Because they know what that might do to their sale numbers.
    Call Cutting Edge Bullets and ask the BC # of their 300 gr 338 bullet, or any other for that matter.
    You can use what ever formula you want, and what ever method for obtaining it you want, but you will find out when you shoot and not before.
    Did you leave the ammo in your vehicle last night when the temps went to 20 deg?
    Has the gun been fired 3 times and the round now in the chamber has been in there 5 minits while you wait for the wind to lay back down?
    Any chart is best considered to give reasonably close information, best varified at the time and place by using a sighter shot.
    And yes, a first round miss serves very well as a sighter shot.
    First round cold bore perfect hit eh, great, just great, now do it again tomorrow. lol

they both group well enough,,,,,for predators.
    And that is what really counts. Sent you a PM.