Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jamming just before fully chambering. Here is the fix for 110/10 and axis family

jamming just before fully chambering. Here is the fix for 110/10 and axis family

So i sadly sold my savage 12 because no amount of fighting magazines would solve it. Then i started my 300PRC project and found that if i cycle the bolt at normal for me speeds it would do it too. If i went really fast or very slow it would not.

Long story short its not the magazine at all. its the ejector plunger. Found a topic on snipershide about this. Seemed like a fluke to me but i decided to make my rifle do the jam again. This time i held the bolt HARD so that the jam would stay while i removed the magazine to get a look from the bottom side. Sure enough, the damn case head was sitting directly on the flat side of the ejector pin. Stopping it from dropping down so that it could feed into the chamber. Well hell.

Much like the striker on your house hold door, an angle needs to be present on the ejector plunger so that when the case head comes from the 12 o'clock position to center, it can cause the ejector plunger to go into the bolt head out of the way. Allowing the round to feed.

So about a 45* angle on exactly the firing pin side of the ejector plunger is needed. Mind you i messed up the first one and cause weak ejection. It did not need to be shorter. So the replacement came a couple days ago, and i got around to messing with it today. DONE, feeds flawlessly. Loaded and fed about 80rds now trying to get it to do it again. Feeds great, ejects great.

Last edited by J.Baker; 09-16-2021 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Fixed it for ya

apparently i cannot remember how to post a youtube video here. So the link is in the post above of the aftermath. Recorded a function test.

Basic Member
    What's Fred have to say about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262 View Post
    What's Fred have to say about this?
    Fred?

an angle needs to be present on the ejector plunger
    If you look at some of the newer Savage rifles, they did just that.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    If you look at some of the newer Savage rifles, they did just that.
    This rifle was bought brand new at Academy in Beaumont Tx as a Savage 110 FCP HS Precision in 300PRC for $1400 after tax just a matter of weeks ago. 4-6 weeks ago. So i cannot for the life of me, understand if savage has a fix already out for this, why would one of the top of the line rifles not have it. Even more so, why did all 5 of the ejectors i got from them, look exactly like the one that didn't allow proper feeding. Im not saying you are wrong, just saying that is very odd.

Banned
    Uh oh Nate..... Now you’ve gone & given us access to your YouTube page! I especially liked the video of momma falling asleep in the car coming home from a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Uh oh Nate..... Now you’ve gone & given us access to your YouTube page! I especially liked the video of momma falling asleep in the car coming home from a trip.
    ex girlfriend, now friend lol. That shit was funny though.

truth be told
    im not a content creator that's for sure lol

My 110 Tactical from last year came with the "shaved" ejector that's all I can tell you.

Course the 110T's had magazine feeding problems with the Savage magazine, later switched to PMAG magazines and the "shaved" ejector.

Seems like Fred did a thread on the "shaved" ejector idea.

Seems like Fred did a thread on the "shaved" ejector idea.
    sure wish i would have seen it before selling my savage 12. And i looked hard for an answer to this annoying issue. That is why i posted my findings here. I figured someone else figured it out before me at some point. But i could not find any info other that that one post on snipershide. Which is surprising on there being as everyone there has the same answer. "savage sucks, sell it and buy brand x"

If you had an early 110 Tactical you probably would have discovered the issue early. People were blaming the magazines, and that may have been the true to some degree, but the ultimate "fix" was the ejector modification.

If you had an early 110 Tactical you probably would have discovered the issue early. People were blaming the magazines, and that may have been the true to some degree, but the ultimate "fix" was the ejector modification.
    first time i had issue with this type of jam can be seen in these two thread where i mentioned it while trying to figure it out. First rifle was doing it (6.5cm) in the plastic oem stock with oem savage magazines. swapped to a promag stock with its proprietary magazine system. weakened the hell out of the magazine spring, and got it ALMOST working perfect but fail to feed due to weak magazine was an issue. Replaced the spring with a cut one from an ar15 magpul pmag and that helped. Long story sort i never got it corrected and sold the rifle. It was never the fault of the magazine lol.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...-action-6-5-cm

and

https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...940#post492940

Basic Member
    I had the same jam problem while working on an ejection problem. After building some new ejector plungers I inadveryantly made them too long which amplified the feedingproblem. Eventually I ended uptapering thepinfor obviousreasons. After case hardening filing in thanglie was painstakingly difficult by this impatient old fool at midnight.
    Eventually my home built plungers took on a whole new look over the factory ones and extractor modifications made extraction-ejection reliable again.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    I had the same jam problem while working on an ejection problem. After building some new ejector plungers I inadveryantly made them too long which amplified the feedingproblem. Eventually I ended uptapering thepinfor obviousreasons. After case hardening filing in thanglie was painstakingly difficult by this impatient old fool at midnight.
    Eventually my home built plungers took on a whole new look over the factory ones and extractor modifications made extraction-ejection reliable again.
    the oem design on this one was chamfered/tapered all the way around, no sharp edge. Still caused the jamming until the angle was made. Then i had to shape the flat top of the plunger so it would stop leaving marks on my brass. Now she feeds and ejects like it should have new. Sure wish savage would 100% redesign the bolt head. It could be done with no other modifications to the rifle at all. Except maybe headspace. Clearly the ar15 design is quite similar in terms of extractor and ejector. That design with the deeper recesses in the bolt face would make a nice difference. Its such a simple design flaw, i cannot understand why savage as a manufacturer would not correct it.

Basic Member
    Can someone help me with what exactly needs to be modified, and where to modify it? My 110 Tactical has an issue on occasion loading rounds (picture attached); it jams about 1/4" before the round is fully seated. And just so you know, this is a left handed model which is why everything looks backwards.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yoda4x4 View Post
    Can someone help me with what exactly needs to be modified, and where to modify it? My 110 Tactical has an issue on occasion loading rounds (picture attached); it jams about 1/4" before the round is fully seated. And just so you know, this is a left handed model which is why everything looks backwards.

David

remove the bolt. remove the ejector plunger from bolt. file it to have a 45* angle facing exactly towards the firing pin. If you want to test this with no mods. Remove the ejector and cycle rounds until your are convinced. They will not eject without it, so you will have to pick them out. But they will never make that exact jam... Also if you get it to jam like it is right now, and can hold it tightly so the jam stays, remove the magazine and look in from the bottom you will see the case of the brass sitting directly on top of the ejector stopping it from falling down into place and chambering.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nathantc View Post
    remove the bolt. remove the ejector plunger from bolt. file it to have a 45* angle facing exactly towards the firing pin. If you want to test this with no mods. Remove the ejector and cycle rounds until your are convinced. They will not eject without it, so you will have to pick them out. But they will never make that exact jam... Also if you get it to jam like it is right now, and can hold it tightly so the jam stays, remove the magazine and look in from the bottom you will see the case of the brass sitting directly on top of the ejector stopping it from falling down into place and chambering.

That sounds great but I'm an idiot when it comes to this. What exactly is the ejector plunger? I seriously have no idea. Can you draw an arrow showing it? And, how do you remove it?

David

That sounds great but I'm an idiot when it comes to this. What exactly is the ejector plunger? I seriously have no idea. Can you draw an arrow showing it?

David

That sounds great but I'm an idiot when it comes to this. What exactly is the ejector plunger? I seriously have no idea. Can you draw an arrow showing it? And, how do you remove it?

David

helpful to order multiple so that if you mess one up, its no big deal.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005114862?pid=117919

also helpful to order some retaining pins and springs just incase again, you make a mistake and loose one.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005123012?pid=782010

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005115354?pid=132303

Basic Member
    Interesting. I have had this issue on my 223 that I built a few times. I was thinking it was just the case rubbing/sticking the top edge of the chamber and causing the issue. Never thought about it being the ejector.
    I may have to pick up a couple spares and give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Interesting. I have had this issue on my 223 that I built a few times. I was thinking it was just the case rubbing/sticking the top edge of the chamber and causing the issue. Never thought about it being the ejector.
    I may have to pick up a couple spares and give this a try.
    that is exactly what i used to think too. Thought the guy was crazy who told me it was the ejector. But if you can get it to jam, and hold it in place, you can look threw the magwell and see it plain as day sitting on the ejector. Gotta give it an angle so it will work like the latch on a household door. best way i can explain it. I cant help but cycle rounds at various speeds to try and make it do it again. It works, just cant help but expect the issue lol. You will love never having that damn lock up again.

Basic Member
    I ordered a couple extra ejectors, springs, and retaining pins from midway last night to have spares in case I mess one up.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I ordered a couple extra ejectors, springs, and retaining pins from midway last night to have spares in case I mess one up.
    i ended up making a punch from the stem of a 1/32 drill bit. A 1/16 punch is to big, and smaller than a 1/16 punch is near impossible to find. Just letting you know in advance. Also when taking them apart i used a ziplock baggie. And worked on it with the bolt and my hands in the bag. Small parts under spring pressure can get lost very easily.

Basic Member
    Yea I actually have a punch that is perfectly sized for the ejector pin. I have had the ejectors and extractors out of my rifles several times over the years.
    I punch the pin loose, then use a empty piece of brass and place it under the extractor and compress the ejector and then push the pin out and then carefully release it. Reassembly is the same.
    Have not lost one yet, but there is always a first time for everything. Plus having spare parts is always nice.

Funny, now that I think about it, I think only my short actions have done this (308 and 223). I do not remember my long action in 6.5x55 has had this issue that I can remember.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast