Thread: jamming just before fully chambering. Here is the fix for 110/10 and axis family

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

jamming just before fully chambering. Here is the fix for 110/10 and axis family

So i sadly sold my savage 12 because no amount of fighting magazines would solve it. Then i started my 300PRC project and found that if i cycle the bolt at normal for me speeds it would do it too. If i went really fast or very slow it would not.

Long story short its not the magazine at all. its the ejector plunger. Found a topic on snipershide about this. Seemed like a fluke to me but i decided to make my rifle do the jam again. This time i held the bolt HARD so that the jam would stay while i removed the magazine to get a look from the bottom side. Sure enough, the damn case head was sitting directly on the flat side of the ejector pin. Stopping it from dropping down so that it could feed into the chamber. Well hell.

Much like the striker on your house hold door, an angle needs to be present on the ejector plunger so that when the case head comes from the 12 o'clock position to center, it can cause the ejector plunger to go into the bolt head out of the way. Allowing the round to feed.

So about a 45* angle on exactly the firing pin side of the ejector plunger is needed. Mind you i messed up the first one and cause weak ejection. It did not need to be shorter. So the replacement came a couple days ago, and i got around to messing with it today. DONE, feeds flawlessly. Loaded and fed about 80rds now trying to get it to do it again. Feeds great, ejects great.

Last edited by J.Baker; 09-16-2021 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Fixed it for ya

apparently i cannot remember how to post a youtube video here. So the link is in the post above of the aftermath. Recorded a function test.

Basic Member
    What's Fred have to say about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262 View Post
    What's Fred have to say about this?
    Fred?

an angle needs to be present on the ejector plunger
    If you look at some of the newer Savage rifles, they did just that.

Basic Member
    Can someone help me with what exactly needs to be modified, and where to modify it? My 110 Tactical has an issue on occasion loading rounds (picture attached); it jams about 1/4" before the round is fully seated. And just so you know, this is a left handed model which is why everything looks backwards.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yoda4x4 View Post
    Can someone help me with what exactly needs to be modified, and where to modify it? My 110 Tactical has an issue on occasion loading rounds (picture attached); it jams about 1/4" before the round is fully seated. And just so you know, this is a left handed model which is why everything looks backwards.

David

remove the bolt. remove the ejector plunger from bolt. file it to have a 45* angle facing exactly towards the firing pin. If you want to test this with no mods. Remove the ejector and cycle rounds until your are convinced. They will not eject without it, so you will have to pick them out. But they will never make that exact jam... Also if you get it to jam like it is right now, and can hold it tightly so the jam stays, remove the magazine and look in from the bottom you will see the case of the brass sitting directly on top of the ejector stopping it from falling down into place and chambering.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nathantc View Post
    remove the bolt. remove the ejector plunger from bolt. file it to have a 45* angle facing exactly towards the firing pin. If you want to test this with no mods. Remove the ejector and cycle rounds until your are convinced. They will not eject without it, so you will have to pick them out. But they will never make that exact jam... Also if you get it to jam like it is right now, and can hold it tightly so the jam stays, remove the magazine and look in from the bottom you will see the case of the brass sitting directly on top of the ejector stopping it from falling down into place and chambering.

That sounds great but I'm an idiot when it comes to this. What exactly is the ejector plunger? I seriously have no idea. Can you draw an arrow showing it? And, how do you remove it?

David

That sounds great but I'm an idiot when it comes to this. What exactly is the ejector plunger? I seriously have no idea. Can you draw an arrow showing it?

David

That sounds great but I'm an idiot when it comes to this. What exactly is the ejector plunger? I seriously have no idea. Can you draw an arrow showing it? And, how do you remove it?

David

helpful to order multiple so that if you mess one up, its no big deal.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005114862?pid=117919

also helpful to order some retaining pins and springs just incase again, you make a mistake and loose one.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005123012?pid=782010

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005115354?pid=132303

Basic Member
    Interesting. I have had this issue on my 223 that I built a few times. I was thinking it was just the case rubbing/sticking the top edge of the chamber and causing the issue. Never thought about it being the ejector.
    I may have to pick up a couple spares and give this a try.