Thread: .308 to 6mmBR advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

.308 to 6mmBR advice

I’ve hit the limitations of my .308, I’m done with it. Tossed around.243 AI but I’ve decided on 6br. Can you fellas help me with barrel brand, twist for 1000yrd goal. Barrel length and a starting load. Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    Is this for fun or serious competition?

If just for fun you can get along with quite a few mfgs. If for competition then mfgs like Kreiger, Bartlein, etc would be the choice.

Pick the mfg and give them a call. They can set you up with something suitable.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Is this for fun or serious competition?

If just for fun you can get along with quite a few mfgs. If for competition then mfgs like Kreiger, Bartlein, etc would be the choice.

Pick the mfg and give them a call. They can set you up with something suitable.

I only compete with myself. Ha

Basic Member
    Prefits are available in 6BR, so if you're a member of the change your own barrel club, Northland shooter supply sells Criterion and Shilen in a Savage Prefit. They're both excellent and typically can be in your hands in a few days. I've used both on my Savage actions. The Criterion is as good looking on the inside as the Shilen select match. I bought a 28 inch 8 twist heavy varmint and put a tuner/break on it and it'll do 1000 yds easily. !07 SMK over 30 gr. Varget, lapua case, CCI 450. 400. BR-4, Fed 205, or what have you.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Prefit are available in 6BR, so if you're a member of the change your own barrel club, Northland shooter supply sells Criterion and Shilen in a Savage Prefit. They're both excellent and typically can be in your hands in a few days. I've used both on my Savage actions. The Criterion is as good looking on the inside as the Shilen select match. I bought a 28 inch 8 twist heavy varmint and put a tuner/break on it and it'll do 1000 yds easily. !07 SMK over 30 gr. Varget, lapua case, CCI 450. 400. BR-4, Fed 205, or what have you.
    +1
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

I just screwed a 8T Shilen 24" on a FV12 action about 3 weeks ago, have about 50 rds down it so far, but only the light bullets. Heavies are hard to come by and $$. I might try mine out at 600yds for giggles just to see how it does for future pdog trips.

Welp. Get a .300wm

JK. Do as you please.

Copy the 1000yd bench champs gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I do understand the arguement.

If you are going to build a 1000yd rifle then why do anything less than the winners? Especially when the difference is simply a chamber and fireform?

I guess the other side of the coin is why would anyone choose a Savage to start with for a 1000yd rifle? I am using mine cause it is what I have. It will never be competitive so that is not part of the decision process.

I gave my reasons for why I am going the way I am. Some just won't understand why I am making my decisions that way.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

I’m still trying to figure out what pdshooter is arguing??
    +1

Basic Member
    Yep, the monument is really pretty. The best time to visit is when they ar eopen at night. During a full moon and clear night it is one of those 'sould searching' times.

Of course, half the year we have to put up with winds that will sandblast your car, so pick the season wisely :)

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Banned
    let's "circle back to that"
    when the author gets his rifle built and can produce some
    DOCUMENTATION of its accuracy at 1000 yards.

when people cannot have a fact driven conversation, typically because they are wrong, they stoop to name calling.
    it appears some of you have gone thare.

Banned
    Pdshooter... first of all, what are you talking about?? And B, what is your purpose here? All you’ve done is bring a whole mess o’ drama. Also, NO ONE has told you once you are wrong! Only what they prefer. However, you have told others, point plank, they are wrong... you’ve been divisive & constantly confrontational.

Your new here and seem to know what you are talking about. But as I see it, either you are a former member who was BANNED, and just looking to start ISH. Or, you are a dug in at maybe Snipers Hide or the like, and are just looking to start ISH. I hope I’m wrong on both accounts.

Team Savage

Since powderburnz, the guy who started this topic, last commented at the bottom of page 2, I think he got the answers he was looking for and the topic has run its course. Suggest those who wish to continue arguing over powderburnz' decision take it off forum as the senseless bickering serves no further useful purpose.

Jim can reopen this topic if he disagrees my decision.