Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: .308 to 6mmBR advice

Basic Member

.308 to 6mmBR advice

I’ve hit the limitations of my .308, I’m done with it. Tossed around.243 AI but I’ve decided on 6br. Can you fellas help me with barrel brand, twist for 1000yrd goal. Barrel length and a starting load. Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    Is this for fun or serious competition?

If just for fun you can get along with quite a few mfgs. If for competition then mfgs like Kreiger, Bartlein, etc would be the choice.

Pick the mfg and give them a call. They can set you up with something suitable.

Welp. Get a .300wm

JK. Do as you please.

Copy the 1000yd bench champs gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Is this for fun or serious competition?

If just for fun you can get along with quite a few mfgs. If for competition then mfgs like Kreiger, Bartlein, etc would be the choice.

Pick the mfg and give them a call. They can set you up with something suitable.

I only compete with myself. Ha

Basic Member
    Prefits are available in 6BR, so if you're a member of the change your own barrel club, Northland shooter supply sells Criterion and Shilen in a Savage Prefit. They're both excellent and typically can be in your hands in a few days. I've used both on my Savage actions. The Criterion is as good looking on the inside as the Shilen select match. I bought a 28 inch 8 twist heavy varmint and put a tuner/break on it and it'll do 1000 yds easily. !07 SMK over 30 gr. Varget, lapua case, CCI 450. 400. BR-4, Fed 205, or what have you.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Prefit are available in 6BR, so if you're a member of the change your own barrel club, Northland shooter supply sells Criterion and Shilen in a Savage Prefit. They're both excellent and typically can be in your hands in a few days. I've used both on my Savage actions. The Criterion is as good looking on the inside as the Shilen select match. I bought a 28 inch 8 twist heavy varmint and put a tuner/break on it and it'll do 1000 yds easily. !07 SMK over 30 gr. Varget, lapua case, CCI 450. 400. BR-4, Fed 205, or what have you.
    +1
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

I just screwed a 8T Shilen 24" on a FV12 action about 3 weeks ago, have about 50 rds down it so far, but only the light bullets. Heavies are hard to come by and $$. I might try mine out at 600yds for giggles just to see how it does for future pdog trips.

Basic Member
    So, for fun or hunting, the Criterion, Shilen, or Shaw will work well. I am thinking of a Krieger or Bartlein for mine. I've always wanted a custom cut barrel.

Basic Member
    So what’s the difference between ratchet rifling and 5R

Quote Originally Posted by powderburnz View Post
    So what’s the difference between ratchet rifling and 5R
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    It’s a secret! But it has something to do with making new things & then people BUYING those new things.....because they’re NEW THINGS! It’s all very sciency and stuff.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    It’s a secret! But it has something to do with making new things & then people BUYING those new things.....because they’re NEW THINGS! It’s all very sciency and stuff.
    Ha!! Awesome

Basic Member
    I always found it interesting that barrels advertised as polygonal rifling are not polygonal. They should have called it multi-lobe rifling, but, that probably doesn't sound interesting enough.

Been playing with guns since the early 60's.
    Learn something new every day. Had no idea about the different types of rifling! Cool!

Ratchet rifling looks as if it might be hard to keep clean.
    "Omnia Mea Mecum Porto"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I always found it interesting that barrels advertised as polygonal rifling are not polygonal. They should have called it multi-lobe rifling, but, that probably doesn't sound interesting enough.
    Well, they wanted to call it POLYGAMAL Rifling, because of the multi-lobe factor. But that would have been a little...., ya know... WEIRD!

Banned
    BTW, here is Shilen’s Ratchet rifling next to is conventional 6-groove.

POLYGAMAL
    All the different rifling profiles come down to the, "Well you still Lieutenant Dan", kinda thing for me.

Basic Member
    And some people still swear the 2 groove rifling in the 03's and Enfields. :)

Banned
    Honestly, I don’t see any benefit to one over the other. My first post in this thread was worded in jest, but it reflects my true feelings. I don’t believe there is any empirical data or case study to support the superiority of one over the rest. Much like the caliber debate. New, more “BETTER-er” calibers come out year after year. What....are the they getting into NEGATIVE MOA groups?? (I’m sure a few Creedmoor fan boys think so...LOL!) No...it’s just a new spin on the SAME product, supported by clever marketing. Same thing with rifling.

Well if it were me with a 6mm, I'd skip the BR and go with a Dasher and 4 groove Brux barrel.
    Or skip the 6mm, and do a straight 284 Winchester and 180 class bullets.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

[QUOTE=Dave Hoback;493111]I don’t believe there is any empirical data or case study to support the superiority of one over the rest. /QUOTE]

Ahh but there is. Each discipline puts down it's own data by simply reading national match results.
    In most national results, you can find equipment lists. Bartllen barrels are most prominent with 5R.
    Brux will mainly be 4 groove. Krieger has a 4 groove in the mix. In short game BR, a good old 6 groove
    can still be highly competitive, but rarely used in the long games.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

I'd skip the BR and go with a Dasher
    +1

Banned
    [QUOTE=Fuj';493121]
    I don’t believe there is any empirical data or case study to support the superiority of one over the rest. /QUOTE]

Ahh but there is. Each discipline puts down it's own data by simply reading national match results.
    In most national results, you can find equipment lists. Bartllen barrels are most prominent with 5R.
    Brux will mainly be 4 groove. Krieger has a 4 groove in the mix. In short game BR, a good old 6 groove
    Keyword being “Prominent” Fuj. I.e, “popularly known”. Yes, I agree 5R is heavily favored now. As is 6mmBR, Dasher, etc., in target shooting. My point is no caliber, rifling, Action, etc., has INCREASED overall accuracy from other times before on their own merit. Sure, records are broken all the time. But there is No compounded data which would otherwise lead one to believe this is the result of the rifling alone, but rather the system as a whole. And most notably, the shooter’s prowess on THAT particular round. I know.... because I’ve researched for years. The ONLY evidence we have is anecdotal.

That’s all I meant. Don’t get me wrong....I’m also not saying conventional 8groove or 6groove is better either. Nor am I stating we should stick with 30-06, 308 & 30-30 because of their age somehow making them better. No sir. I am actually a fan of NEW stuff. I’m simply careful not to let it determine an thinking outcome. Just as I don’t allow the NAME of said products.

Banned
    I DO concur though, on the 4 groove Brux. While I am happy with my Shilen in 260Rem...my next barrel will begin with a “B”...either Brux or Bartlein and in 260AI.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=Fuj';493121]
    I don’t believe there is any empirical data or case study to support the superiority of one over the rest. /QUOTE]

The idea is, there is not enough data to say that one rifling profile is better than another. Maybe if you got someone to shoot a test rifle indoors with three different rifling profiles you could make a case for it. Competition results will show a trend, sometimes. But, eg, does a Bartlein 5R barrel outshoot a Brux 4 groove because 1) the rifling profile is better, 2) the barrel is more precisely made, 3) the shooter is better or 4) that shooter had better wind conditions than the other top shooters, etc. etc

I am another who would stay with 6BR for informal use. Ready made brass. Proven easy to load for. And won't burn out a barrel in a couple seasons of shooting. I want the lower recoil of the 100-110 gn bullets, lower case capacity to give higher load densities, and longer barrel life. The Dasher gets an extra 200fps, not something that is important to me. If the velocity was important I'd go with a larger case cartridge (6x47, CM, .243) and plan on changing the barrel more often. I already have a .308 if I feel the need to shoot heavier bullets. And I am limited to 1000yd so anything more is just excess.

My only decision is a Krieger or Bartlein :)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast