Thread: Alliant Reloder TS 15.5 !!

Basic Member

Alliant Reloder TS 15.5 !!

Any of you power rangers tried this powder yet?
    RL15 is one of my favorite powder for 308 and 223 cause of brass life, accuracy and low SD number.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/wp-c...s155loadv2.pdf

Have not tried. But if it is currently actually available I'd see if it woked as well or better than R-19 I'm using in my .260 Rem.

If I could get large rifle primers.

Good thing I stocked up when Obama ran. ;-)
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Sometimes I think that the powder companies sit around and think about this stuff with some mixed up logic.

Kinda like, 'Hey, RL15 sales have dropped. Let's introduce a new powder and call it 15.5. That way all the reloaders will buy at least a pound to try it out. When sales drop off we can then come out with 15.25 and stir the pot again!"

First I've heard of 15.5. Rest assured, it will probably be made from "unobtanium" around here like most other powders.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

. Since it's a Nammo powder, probably just made from Airbus & Finland tears.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

I still have a bunch of Reloader 15.0. I have yet to get any cartridge to shoot that stuff as well or better than anything else. Do ya think 15.5 will help?

Basic Member
    Yes, it will!!! Guaranteed!! Even maybe get your money back if not LOL

Promise?

Pretty sure he pinky swears, it's ultra-mega-tactical....

Basic Member
    Yep. I'll even send you a special 'E' card with a phone number to call if you want your money back! Don't be alarmed if you see an area code that looks like it is based in the White House. :)

R15 is great in the 223(heavies), 7mm08 and 308. Probably more but untested by me.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I have tried it in all three of those. That powder does not like me!

Basic Member
    LMAO, you guys are hilarious.
    On a serious note , this powder is ghost like Retumbo ,i have searched every Ottawa store this past weekend.
    Every powder, primer and bullets were available (no jacked price or limit), what a beautiful sight.
    I officially give up .

Basic Member
    That's better than here.

We still don't see very much in the weekly shipments. But, thinking about pre-COVID, the Sportsmans here never did get a lot of powder/primers/bullets in each week. The difference was back then not many people were buying it so their stock levels increased.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    I have tried it in all three of those. That powder does not like me!
    Don't feel bad. I have had mediocre results with RL15 as well.
    I never found anything it shot well in.

Yeah like today. I loaded some in 6.5CM 100gr ELD-M...thinking this may be the ONE! First two shots? Touching. Got really pumped. Next three? Wah Waah Waaaaa! Had to get help finding them on the target. RL-15 really hates me.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Yeah like today. I loaded some in 6.5CM 100gr ELD-M...thinking this may be the ONE! First two shots? Touching. Got really pumped. Next three? Wah Waah Waaaaa! Had to get help finding them on the target. RL-15 really hates me.
    That's too bad. Could be the primer or the bullet. Varget is like that with me. 4064 Now that finds a sweet spot in many cartridges. Like the 270. Who would have figured 47 grains behind a 130 game king would be so accurate and have speed too.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

4064 has been a good powder for me also.

Basic Member
    I've had good luck with R15 in two 250 Savage 99's (G and EG Models) and a Ruger 77, also in two 300 Savage Remington 81's and a Savage 99R (Pre War). Use Speer 150 grain SP's and cast 150 grain bullets in the 300 Savage's and 75 grain Hornady BT and Speer 87 grain SP's in the 250 Savages and Ruger. Just getting into 87 grain cast bullets in the 250's. Have good luck with IMR 3031 and Varget also in both calibers. Bought some R16 not to long after it came out figuring to try a slower burn powder for both calibers, but loading data was hard to find. Called Alliant and was told they really didn't have any load data at the time for 250 and 300 Savage calibers and it was more intune to the .243-.308-30/06 line of cartridges. Traded it back in to the dealer for some 3031. Have to check if Alliant or any of the other load manual outfits have anything for the 15.5, but unfortunately the old war horses (250 and 300 Savage) aren't given much time anymore due to all the designer calibers.

Basic Member
    I haven't looked, but, aren't the .308 and .300 Savage cases close enough to use the same data if the oal is the same?

Basic Member
    300 Savage was the parent case for the .308. Back at the time I questioned what grain load/bullet combo's could be used for both the 250 and 300 Savage. Put feelers out on forums. Answers received back were from 'I don't know' to 'Just basically experiment'. I didn't want to take the time to do that when I had other powders available including R15, plus I'll only load established loads from manuals and online reloaders I can trust. Alliant rep basically told me the same. Alliant rep advised due to the shorter neck and lower case capacity of the 300 Savage vs the .308 was the reason why R16 (a slower burner) probably and won't work in the 300 Savage. Good enough for me, as I mentioned in my previous post, Varget, 3031, and R15 worked well for all of the loadings I was doing. My hunting with both calibers is restricted in my state for deer, out only really 'big game' animal. No bottle neck cartridges, only a dozen or so straight wall ones for rifles or use a shotgun slug. I do go after coyote's with my Ruger top tang safety M77 250 Savage, a 1" MOA killer. Have used my Savage 99G 250 with Stithe mount and Vintage Weaver 4x also which will reach out to closer range coyote. Take it out when I want to feel old timey. A accurate killer also. Other than that my 250 and 300 Savage shootin is mainly various target work.

Basic Member
    That is the problem with many of the older cartridges. And many of us like to stick to the 'older' powders as well, sometimes for that reason. And, of course, they work and work well. I know that once I work up an accurate load I don't want to go to the trouble of changing components. These days it is worse since I frequently cannot find the powder I want so am forced to develop new loads. Which means using up more primers, which are in short supply as well.

I could just enjoy the fact that my 'troubles' are so minor, but, it is frustrating to not be able to enjoy the things I like to do. At least I can still work on sewing machines, tie flies, and fish :)