Thread: Torn new long range shooter ( 110 precision elite)

Torn new long range shooter ( 110 precision elite)

I’m torn

I won a savage 110 precision elite ( 6mm creedmoor) in a raffle. I’m a bit torn. I seen the rifle has a really bad reputation for various issues( feeding, extracting, etc).

Should I keep it, and invest money, time to get it working correctly or should i try and sell it and get a Howa 1500 american chassis?

My oldest son is excited about the prospect of learning to shoot long range, so a rifle like the Howa is tempting. Especially if it doesn’t come with the know issues of the savage.

Banned
    LOL! You’re on a Savage enthusiast forum & asking which rifle?? LOL!

Honestly, I don’t think anyone would recommend another rifle save for a custom Action build. It’s very easy to get a Savage to run right, IF it happens to have issues. Also, you are getting one of the stiffest factory actions sold. The Precision Elite uses the Hooded Action. It’s basically a model 12 Target Action with mag well machined. Not to mention, it already has a very nice chassis.

Basic Member
    Welcome to the new guy!

Dave, it's his first post so I think this is his first Savage.

OP, if you have the rifle in hand then try it. At least test feeding and extraction, to see if the rumors you have heard are true or not. I can understand you don't want to shoot it and devalue it for resale, but, I suspect that a few shots through it may actually help selling it, especially if you have a target with a small group to show prospective buyers.

PS I'd consider the 16x scope on the Howa APC Chassis rifle to be a bit low in power if you are serious about long range shooting. But, it is a decent package price even if you are stuck with 6.5CM or .308

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newlongrangeshooter View Post
    I’m torn

I seen the rifle has a really bad reputation for various issues( feeding, extracting, etc).

Especially if it doesn’t come with the know issues of the savage.
    LOL, You should be banned for even asking! The ACC alone retails for $1100.
    The main complaint is the feeding (Which doesn't happen to every 110 precision), can be fixed with a replacement ejector plunger from Savage at no cost or sending it if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.

KEEP IT

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Welcome to the new guy!

Dave, it's his first post so I think this is his first Savage.

I do agree. Did my post somehow make it seem otherwise? I’m sorry if it did. Wasn’t the intention.

There are much better rifles for the seasoned competitor. Your rifle was free and it is a great place to start. I suggest you use the hell out of it and find its weakness. Then sell and move up. You may be surprised at it's performance. I have impressed a lot of people that laughed at Savage rifles. Made them up their game from the embarrassment.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    My 10T-S/R (or is it 10T/S-R?... anyway...) was very stiff to cycle at first. After about 25 rounds shot, it cycled smoother. Now that I am about 50-75 rounds through it, it's running fine. My suggestion is only that (as was offered to me here), the actions seems to get better with use over time. I'd be surprised if it never gets smoother after some fun plinking days. Once it gets itself settled (and recheck all the screws - somebody here had that suggestion), you'll likely find it's a good shooter.