Thread: 110 SA Hunter factory stock LOP fitment issues/question/observation/whining a bit...

110 SA Hunter factory stock LOP fitment issues/question/observation/whining a bit...

Was going to finally get my Hunter LOP set up last night. I grabbed the bits that came in the zip locked bag from my box. Measured the length of pull with the old 90/90 method. Turns out the longest provided spacer is about 1.5" too short. No biggie, because I have enough spacers to get Freyja and I fitting together correctly. BUT not the right length screws. I know they are just a couple of cents from my local hardware store, but why are they not supplied from the factory, if this is supposed to be a complete package? Like I said in the title, more observation and whining then anything.

Has anyone else ran into a similar issue?

Am I the only guy here that needs to use ALL of the spacers?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Banned
    To be honest, I think many people misjudge LOP. For years my son has thought he needs the LONGEST LOP possible. He even put a 1.5” spacer on his already A2 stocked AR15!! He quickly found that the WRONG setup, which I told him it would be from the beginning. I think it comes from peoples natural habit of leaning back when shooting. When I was an instructor, I would find it fascinating that different people, from completely different backgrounds..all shapes & sizes, would ALL consistently do things the WRONG WAY! Even with many who consider themselves “experienced”. It was oddly fascinating to see almost ALL instinctively pick up a handgun with finger on trigger, ALL hold the pistol the WRONG WAY(but all I’m the SAME wrong way), and almost ALL tend to lean backwards when shooting. With my AR’s, I actually prefer the stock at almost it’s shortest length. And I’m 6’4”! It’s just that I maintain a very compact shooting stance. Of course my bench rifle has a much longer LOP, but it’s still within about standard A2 length. I don’t know....guess I just come from a different thinking. I have always learned, I’m shooting, if holding the weapon for “comfort”, you are likely holding it WRONG! This is apparent often with pistol grip. The words “Comfort”, & “Ergonomic”, have never been in my firearms vocabulary.

Follow up post:
    I went to a local hardware store and picked up a pair of 3" Wood Screws. This allowed me to get closer to my proper LOP setup of 90 / 90. Got my scope leveled and zeroed. Went to the range and hit an 8" plate and then one of those tiny (expired) fire extinguishers. It feels much better and more like a grown up rifle, instead of like a hard hitting version of a cramped .22lr rifle.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Savage states the LOP adjustment range is 12.75 to 13.75 inches and provides appropriate screw lengths for that range. Typical rifle LOP for the "average" size adult male is 13.5" If you need to stack multiple spacers to achieve a longer LOP you have to source your own screws. Also keep in mind that most every firearm that comes with an adjustable LOP feature like this is designed around those needing a shorter LOP (kids and women), not those needing a longer LOP. And like you noted, it's not too difficult or costly to run down to the local hardware store to pick up a couple longer screws if needed.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain