Thread: AICS mags that work in Impulse Predator

Basic Member

AICS mags that work in Impulse Predator

NO AICS pattern mags with polymer feed lips work in an unmodified Savage Impulse Predator.

At this time, Savage Arms is only recommending AICS pattern magazines with steel feed lips. Accuracy International & Accurate-Mag make compatible all steel magazines. MDT makes all steel magazines and also magazines that have steel top & lips, with polymer lower portions.

The actual magwell opening in the aluminum receiver is 0.72" wide.

The feed lips of the magazine have to fit into this opening.

The width of the lower portion of the steel feed lips on commercial magazines are 0.72" wide. They fit tightly into the receiver opening.

I have tested AICS polymer feed lip magazines from Magpul, Ruger, and MDT. All polymer lipped magazines I have tested are around 0.88" to 0.89" wide where the feed lips hit this receiver opening and are stopped from further insertion. At that point they would need to be pushed into the magwell approximately 0.222" further to be locked into the magwell by the magazine catch/release. I do not think that much material could be removed from the magazine without severely compromising the strength of the polymer feed lips.

Removal of material from the magwell opening in the aluminum receiver would have to be performed in order for the unmodified polymer feed lips to go further into the receiver and the magazine be retained.

I am disappointed that popular, well made AICS pattern all polymer feed lip magazines, that are available and much less expensive, will not work with the stock Savage Impulse Predator at this time. Savage specs show this firearm as using AICS magazines, and that is PARTIALLY NOT TRUE.

At this time Savage Impulse Predator rifles are only chambered in calibers that use AICS pattern Short Action "308" size magazines. .22-250, .243 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, .308 Winchester.

At this time Savage Impulse Elite Precision rifles are only chambered in calibers that use AICS pattern magazines. 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, .308 Winchester, .300 Win Mag, .300 PRC and .338 Lapua.
    Savage Impulse Predator 6.5 Creedmoor 10rd AICS

Basic Member
    Added more information about AICS magazine usage:

At this time Savage Impulse Elite Precision rifles are only chambered in calibers that use AICS pattern magazines. 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, .308 Winchester, .300 Win Mag, .300 PRC and .338 Lapua.
    Savage Impulse Predator 6.5 Creedmoor 10rd AICS