Thread: Starting a new thread because I don't know how to change the header on my old one.

Starting a new thread because I don't know how to change the header on my old one.

Mike Britton here.
    I have had a couple threads going about re-barreling my 1959 110L from .30-06 to 6mm Remington.
    I should bring one of those threads back to the top, but I don't know how to change the header.

Anywayyy, further research compels me to look harder at the .243 as a viable cartridge for my barrel swap.
    My concern is the .243 in a long action like the early 110. I have seen, and actually own a large ring 98 Mauser that was 8mm Mauser but is now .308, and cycles like butta!

I would like to hear from any of you guys that have .243's in long actions. How do they cycle? What twist do you like?

The .243 is beginning to look very much more practical than the anachronistic 6mm Rem, brass/ammo will be available for a long time!

Thanks for putting up with an old man that needs lessons on how to negotiate the forums! Mike
    "Omnia Mea Mecum Porto"

I built my 243 on a stagger feed long action and have no feed problems at all. I used a factory Savage sporter barrel that I believe is something like 1 in 9.5" twist.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Banned
    It will feed perfectly. 243’s parent case is 308. Feeds just as 308 does in a long action. Very nicely.

Is there anything I need to do to the magazine to make it work okay? I tried some of those red plastic.308 dummies in the .30-06 110L and found that they cycled best if I put them in toward the front of the mag.
    "Omnia Mea Mecum Porto"

Banned
    Well, yes...obviously the internal box is longer, being 30-06. So yes it will have more distance. You could modify it with a block. But I’ve never heard of anyone having major problems I guess if you intend on “speed cycling” the action, you may run into a slight hang up here & there. I think you be fine.

I've never encountered any feed issues while hunting with my long action 243. Extraction was another issue until I replaced my original extractor, ejector and spring and added larger detent ball.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Why wouldnt you at least (think) about a 6.5x06 ?
    Change nothing but the barrel and end up with a better gun.

Team Savage

Please keep in mind Mike's 110 was made in 1959, which means his bolt is unique to pre-66 110s. It does not have an ejector assembly, in fact, the bolt has none at all, and the extractor is nothing like post '66 110s.

Edit to add: I knew I had posted bolt pics previously, a little searching and found the topic, you can see pictures of these bolts, including bolt head, in this topic

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Please keep in mind Mike's 110 was made in 1959, which means his bolt is unique to pre-66 110s. It does not have an ejector assembly, in fact, the bolt has none at all, and the extractor is nothing like post '66 110s.

Edit to add: I knew I had posted bolt pics previously, a little searching and found the topic, you can see pictures of these bolts, including bolt head, in this topic
    Well wouldnt that in itself give more reason for sticking with the original case?

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Well wouldnt that in itself give more reason for sticking with the original case?
    I don't know if it would matter and I've never tried with mine. Primarily wanted to clarify the differences between the original and later bolt versions. He cannot change the ejector as can be done with post '66 110s.

Basic Member

As an owner of two 6mm rems, I would go that direction rather then a 243, bigger case.
    BUT being a 3006 I would go to a 6mm06 hands down. WAY bigger case.

Banned
    6mm-06 certainly is not a bad idea. But you would be relegated to handloading exclusively. Now, many don’t frown on that either. I myself ONLY reload for my 260Rem. But something to consider, as 243 continues to be one the most stocked rifle rounds across the country. And I’m still quite certain you would not encounter a problem. As Phil pointed out, he was simply noting the difference of the bolt, NOT implying it’s more likely to cause issue.

But it is your choice Mike. Go with your gut. I doubt you will have regret upon completion, regardless of your choice.

I really like all the advice,thanks.
    The reason I am moving away from the -06 in the first place is because after several seasons prone, shooting full load 190 gr Sierra Match Kings in an -06 Palma rifle, I'm pretty much done with the -06.
    I'm 73, diabetic, and dealing with my 3rd go around of cancer. I'm not real keen on having to pick myself back up whenever I touch one off. Call me what you will, put yourself in this body and get back to me with that.

So...I started out looking for something that wouldn't water my eyes every time I pulled the trigger, and being a long action I gravitated toward the 6mm Rem.
    But then I started thinking that 50 years worth of .243 brass has something going for it.

I'm sure there are all kinds of new wizz-bang cartridges around that will cook my dinner and wash the dishes, and once they have been around for 50 years and haven't died on the vine because the gun writers found something else that paid better I might try one.

I can buy .243 at Wal-Mart, if I ask for 6.5-06 you know what kind of response I will get.

If a .243 will cycle relatively well in my long action a number 5 McGowan barrel will suit my needs fine. I will have to study twists to know which one will work best all around.
    The rifle will spend 99% of it's time on the bench poking holes in paper. And that occasional deer probably won't know the difference in 75-100 feet of velocity.
    So......looking lately at used brass at the shows and new ammo, It's hard to discount the .243......
    "Omnia Mea Mecum Porto"

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by mikebritton View Post
    The rifle will spend 99% of it's time on the bench poking holes in paper. And that occasional deer probably won't know the difference in 75-100 feet of velocity.
    So......looking lately at used brass at the shows and new ammo, It's hard to discount the .243......
    Like the way you think.

25-06 The best of all three worlds.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    In my opinion 243 really only has one advantage over 6mm rem and that is availability... (and possibly length requirements if you are going with a short action). It is not even comparable how much ammo is available for each- with the 243 being the winner. But if 99% of your shooting will be punching paper then you will probably be looking at reloading with either of them. I've never seen a target or match factory loading for the 243, lots of varmint loads and then some very good hunting loads. But depending on the distance you will be target shooting you may not find what you are looking for in loaded ammo. If you are shooting at short distance then it doesn't matter- but if you want to shoot long distance then you would need to reload for either-- and that puts 6mm Rem back on top.

25-06 The best of all three worlds.
    +1.

Cool

The reason I am moving away from the -06 in the first place is because after several seasons prone, shooting full load 190 gr Sierra Match Kings in an -06 Palma rifle, I'm pretty much done with the -06.
    I'm 73, diabetic, and dealing with my 3rd go around of cancer. I'm not real keen on having to pick myself back up whenever I touch one off. Call me what you will…

We’re not calling you anything. Nothing says that you have to load a 6mm-06 to maximum levels either. Instead load it to .243 power and you will be at low chamber pressures to reduce muzzle blast and recoil. Too, there will be no question about any feeding issues. The biggest “problem” will be no factory ammo - but that’s been a big problem all year for the .243 and most others anyway.

Basic Member
    I will throw out my 2 cents :)

I'd stick with the .243 as well. I only shoot paper, but, I tend to shoot a lot. When looking for a replacement for my .223 I am going to a 6mm as well, but, it will be an even smaller case, the 6BR. If I shot at shorter distances (<600yd) I'd get another .223 barrel.

I want the barrel to last a while. Max loads in the bigger capacity 6mm's wear out barrels 'quickly'. Yes, you can download, but, when you can get a cartridge with a smaller case then why bother? The efficiency of the smaller case means better accuracy at the lower loads. Difference in velocity is minimal for my shooting.

For bench shooting I don't use the magazines so any feed issues are not applicable.

If I were to shoot factory loads only, then the .243 is the easiest to get off the shelf. Match ammo may be hard to find, but, at least you can usually find something to shoot.

Team Savage

Just ran a couple 7-08 dummy rounds through my mine and they fed from magazine just fine. Would expect no different with the 243.