Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oryx CAN be milled out to accept 3.85 CIP Magazine. Its beautiful 110FCP 300PRC

Still waiting on the 1000 meter/yard 5 shot target.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Still waiting on the 1000 meter/yard 5 shot target.
    Me too lol.
    its a slow process getting everything how i want it, fitting everything to me. That said the craptasitc wheeler rings are off, and the warne skyline mount is on and mocked up (waiting on a 34mm bubble level) This time i took the time to be sure the cheek rest, and scope placement fits the eye box for me spot on. The crappy wheeler rings were not only poorly made but just slightly to short to get comfortable behind the glass. The skyline is not much taller but enough so that things feel natural. Almost time to get her zeroed and see if i'll love, or hate the Strike Eagle. Wish i was rich and could just get my the MK5HD i want right now. But this, i hope will due for now. Been reading a LOT of bad about the Strike Eagle after buying it. Things i didn't see when looking into it beforehand, so i'm hoping this one is not a dud and will last while i add more funds to my firearms spending account lol

Over cast and kinda crappy outside. Just enough gap in the rain to set up the scope for standing, sitting and prone on the trailer. The hurricane is going to miss me, but the weather is not. So i didn't try that hard to make my crappy phone take a good photo.

The Strike Eagle has had it's up' and downs, The higher end magnification has been phased out.
    And they are made in China. With a street value of around $ 350, Your not doing yourself a favor.
    Seems to me you put some pride into this rifle. Not really sure about your barrel but too many
    shooters put time and money into a good build and cheat themselves on glass.

By the way.....What barrel is that ??
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Have a new MDT ORYX build going on myself presently. This one will be more then
    a cool factor, and for UBR bench work. As for magazine mods, it will be only to add
    a center block so I can use the center screw on a PTA. Somewhere in these forums
    I have an old MDT HS3 build. It won me a few match's, but a consistant 1/3rd MOA
    lost me some. Have to have it tuned for 1/4 or less. I think this one I'll shoulder up
    a Hart with my 284-ELF. Having Protekor do another bag. Seems every build needs
    it's own rear sleigh....
    Yeah but bags aint cool Fuj. lol

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Yeah but bags aint cool Fuj. lol
    got no issue with bags, just not going to carry one around with me as i do not shoot on a range with a known set up or target distance. They work fine. Just not the intended use of this rifle. As for the barrel. The barreled action is savage 110 FCP in 300 PRC. As for the strike eagle 5-25x56 i've never seen one sold anywhere used or not for $350. I paid retail just to get the rifle going for now. About to be quite busy with this hurricane about to make landfall. If so i should have something better quite soon

yobuck. That is 2 for 2 you having something to say, without saying anything at all. Just man up and spit out. Otherwise be grumpy somewhere else.

By the way.....What barrel is that ??
    barreled action is OEM. This was the starting rifle savage 22088

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nathantc View Post
    got no issue with bags, just not going to carry one around with me as i do not shoot on a range with a known set up or target distance. They work fine. Just not the intended use of this rifle. As for the barrel. The barreled action is savage 110 FCP in 300 PRC. As for the strike eagle 5-25x56 i've never seen one sold anywhere used or not for $350. I paid retail just to get the rifle going for now. About to be quite busy with this hurricane about to make landfall. If so i should have something better quite soon

yobuck. That is 2 for 2 you having something to say, without saying anything at all. Just man up and spit out. Otherwise be grumpy somewhere else.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe there will be an explanation Nate. This quote by him kinda says it all: “Well ill be the first to admit that the old cliche about old dogs learning new tricks is in fact true.
    Another fact is that many old dogs arent really interested in learning any new tricks.
    Especially when it comes to something as basic as mounting a scope onto a rifle.”

Bet he thinks Weaver bases & Leupold/Redfield Standard steel rings are the way to go. I’m also guessing he favors wood & leather over synthetic and likely would frown upon carrying a striker fire pistol, like Glock: would instead recommend carrying a 1911GI.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Unfortunately, I don’t believe there will be an explanation Nate. This quote by him kinda says it all: “Well ill be the first to admit that the old cliche about old dogs learning new tricks is in fact true.
    Another fact is that many old dogs arent really interested in learning any new tricks.
    Especially when it comes to something as basic as mounting a scope onto a rifle.”

Bet he thinks Weaver bases & Leupold/Redfield Standard steel rings are the way to go. I’m also guessing he favors wood & leather over synthetic and likely would frown upon carrying a striker fire pistol, like Glock: would instead recommend carrying a 1911GI.

Idk, its confusing. Trying to guess at what ever he is talking about, id start with the monopod, being as he mentioned a rear bag, past that, who knows. Bags work great, at a range. This will be a target/hunting rifle. Therefor i don't want to depend on a bag i may not have when needed. To me the logic is to practice with exactly what you intend to use. but what do i know.

As for the other guy asking about the barrel. I've yet to be disappointed in the accuracy of a OEM savage barrel, but if i am. ill have a custom one spun up to match this one. Profile, length, muzzle thread, and even the fluting (except full length vs half for aesthetics.) Seems silly to me to swap a barrel before i know if it even shoots or not. Oh well, back to being "cool" i guess lmfao

Banned
    The “other guy” is Fuj Nate. He is one of our resident Gunsmiths & has built some awesome rigs. Very knowledgeable. I can tell you, Fuj wasn’t rebuking the barrel. His statement was simply not knowing what barrel it was. That’s all. Honestly, I didn’t either. I thought you had an aftermarket barrel as well, until you said it was OEM. And he just glanced over you said you are saving for a Leupold Mark 5HD. Fuj & I have had some really good back & forth Wildcat talk.

As for yobuck...I’ve never had a problem with him or really seen him target thread like he has this one specifically, with the quite ignorant jabs....maybe he’s having a bad week or something.

Dave.....Get a SIG and pitch that Glock. I still carry my 1911 but lately the Compact in 45acp.

As for the barrel discussion ?? I can't trust the OEM barrels for my shooting. I prefer to start with
    a fresh blank

Dave.....Get a SIG and pitch that Glock. I still carry my 1911 but lately the Compact in 45acp.

As for the barrel discussion ?? I can't trust the OEM barrels for my shooting. I prefer to start with
    a fresh blank
    the only experience i have i with custom barrel makers is my 7.62x39 savage axis with a mcgowen barrel. Its shoots awesome to say the least. If this barrel does not produce the results im after, is there a specific maker/brand you feel is the best i could go with. I know i would want to stick with 26", same heavy/varmint profile, barrel fluting is more of a like than a need, but i would like it more if the fluting when the length of the barrel, not just half like this one. Most definitely would want muzzle threads.

Hopefully soon ill have the final details and can get a 100 yard zero/group to get started with. Maybe its luck, but i've yet to be dissapointed with a savage oem barrel. I know there is a lot of hate here for savage. I've tried a lot of the higher end brands, though a lot of them are nicer, i always seem to have the best accuracy consistency out of savage. The minor issues with savage are easily fixed, like extraction, ejection, and feeding. Anyway, im going to give this barrel a try before i ditch it. That said i did headspace it myself as i do every savage i buy. This one, like most i've gotten, had was a bit on the loose side of things.

"As for yobuck...I’ve never had a problem with him or really seen him target thread like he has this one specifically, with the quite ignorant jabs....maybe he’s having a bad week or something."

I have a funny way of bringing that out in people. Maybe it's because i do things my way, what works for me, not what is "mainstream". Like going out of my way for a not so common bipod configuration. It's one of those things i tell people "you really need to try it".

Banned

a fresh blank
    Sigs are nice. I serviced about every Sig model in existence during 2008-2010. But actually I don’t carry either. Well, technically it’s not. I carry a P80 I built myself. And of course I still love the 1911. Especially building them! But I don’t carry hammer fired period. Modern polymer frames pistils in striker fire config. No hammer, no single/double action nonsense & no thumb safety. (Aka: the Tex Grebner special) They are smaller, lighter & carry more. But I’ll always have & love shooting the 1911. The last one I built was the first gun I built after being disabled.

I do agree on barrel. I prefer starting with just a bare Action. Was just pointing point your statement wasn’t attacking, but rather simply asking what barrel it is.

Basic Member

a fresh blank
    My son down here just bought a SIG Fuj, i dont think he has even shot it yet, i guess 9mm.
    I personaly dont like semi autos of any type, so mine are all wheel guns.
    I wear two, criss crossed and tied down to my legs. lol
    Have you ever been over to Galeton where the bags are made?
    Nice little town right on Rt 6.
    It would be a nice weekend trip for you thru some very nice country.
    You could stop at Benezette and see the Elk museum and of coarse lots of Elk along the way.
    I fill my bags with small plasic beads making them very light but still very pliable.
    I somerimes use a flat rear bag with my hand or fist on top for fine adjustment.

Sigs are nice. I serviced about every Sig model in existence during 2008-2010. But actually I don’t carry either. Well, technically it’s not. I carry a P80 I built myself. And of course I still love the 1911. Especially building them! But I don’t carry hammer fired period. Modern polymer frames pistils in striker fire config. No hammer, no single/double action nonsense & no thumb safety. (Aka: the Tex Grebner special) They are smaller, lighter & carry more. But I’ll always have & love shooting the 1911. The last one I built was the first gun I built after being disabled.

I do agree on barrel. I prefer starting with just a bare Action. Was just pointing point your statement wasn’t attacking, but rather simply asking what barrel it is.
    i didn't assume it was an attack, its a pretty fair question and i fully understand why a custom barrel maker has a much higher probability of making an awesome barrel vs basically a cookie cutter barrel. Its just the OEM barrel checks all the boxes of what i wanted IF ITS A SHOOTER AS WELL lol. That said, i did start this with a $1400 OEM rifle. I cannot get this action otherwise. Its a factory trued action and more ridged than a standard 110 action. So for that price, i figured id at least try the barrel.

As for carry, i 100% carry
    Ill be the boring guy here because i know from first hand experience, if you ever use it, you will likely never see it again. 10+ years later after all court cases closed, I've yet to see my HK P30 again. That being said, i now full time carry a very old, Beretta 92S NOT FS just S. It was an Italian police trade in, imported into the US. Cost me a grand total of $300. You can not find a pistol in that price range to match the reliability and build quality. Also i don't want a $1000+ pistol to end up looking as sad as this beretta from holster wear, or be taken from me forever because i actually needed to use it.

My son down here just bought a SIG Fuj, i dont think he has even shot it yet, i guess 9mm.
    I personaly dont like semi autos of any type, so mine are all wheel guns.
    I wear two, criss crossed and tied down to my legs. lol
    Have you ever been over to Galeton where the bags are made?
    Nice little town right on Rt 6.
    It would be a nice weekend trip for you thru some very nice country.
    You could stop at Benezette and see the Elk museum and of coarse lots of Elk along the way.
    I fill my bags with small plasic beads making them very light but still very pliable.
    I somerimes use a flat rear bag with my hand or fist on top for fine adjustment.
    Been to Galeton and the area many times. Some of the best forest off road trails
    are in that area. It was always a toss up between there or Marienville.

Old carry piece when I was still shooting "IPSC" was my personal custom 3" Mod 19
    .357. Of course it was loaded with upside down wad cutters. Kind of like hitting
    something with a 1200 fps pan cake !!

Banned
    Yeah man.... cause 6 rounds is plenty for ANYONE, right? And we don’t need no ARs... just get yourself a Double Barrel SHOTGUN! Just ask Sleepy Joe the FRAUD!

Yeah man.... cause 6 rounds is plenty for ANYONE, right? And we don’t need no ARs... just get yourself a Double Barrel SHOTGUN! Just ask Sleepy Joe the FRAUD!
    I like the saying "better to have it, and not need it. Than to need it, and not have it"
    my carry load out i have 52 rounds total on me at all times. That is one in the chamber with 3 fully loaded 17rd mags. Yes i travel, no i do not care about capacity or carry laws state to state. No one has the right to tell me when and where my life matters. BETTER TO BE JUDGED BY 12 THAN TO BE CARRIED BY 6

Basic Member
    Well i dont mind that (you) have an AR Dave, and id think that should satisfy you.
    You also cant turn your backs on the facts, and they show that guys like me arent your problem in that regard, isnt that correct?
    As for a shotgun for a home defence weapon, yes that would be my personal choice.
    And ive chosen a place to live where i dont feel any need for carrying something to defend myself with.
    As for my (cool) comment.
    I happen to think that cool is as cool does, without any need for advertising in order to announce it.
    As for Savage, i currently own 6, and half of them wear plastic stocks, but yes, i do prefer wood.
    My first was bought about 1959/60 because they were the only one with a lefty bolt at the time.
    I think Savage offers a good value for the cost involved for the most part.
    But if i were spending $1500 or more, the action wouldnt be wearing a name like Savage.
    But if thats your idea of cool, we can still be friends, if not then thats ok also.

But if i were spending $1500 or more, the action wouldnt be wearing a name like Savage.
    I would like to know why you feel this way. Most don't seem to understand that the remington 700 design was not picked by the military because its better, it was picked because in reality its cheaper to manufacture, and remington won the bid on price, not quality and certainly not accuracy. I cannot imagine building a custom rifle to brag about a name attached to it, or because its what everyone else does. I only see two reasons, MAX repeatable accuracy, and reliability. That said, savage has its shortcomings. I can rid a new savage rifle of these "shortcomings" for less money spent on any 700 type action and end up with a better rifle in every way for less money. The savage tier 1 receivers are far from the savage picked up at the local walmart for $400. That same $400 walmart savage will give you less trouble and shoot straighter than just about everything out there for 2x that price. The only down side to building on a savage action is lack of aftermarket support, and that has nothing to do with the rifle, and everything to do with marketing. Kinda like a ford guy arguing that his powerjoke is as good as a cummins AFTER putting work into it (bulletproofing) lol. So really, id love to know why you think savage is a "cool" factor and not a contender when out of the box it shoots straighter than a lot of custom rifles (talking on average)

Quote Originally Posted by nathantc View Post
    I would like to know why you feel this way. Most don't seem to understand that the remington 700 design was not picked by the military because its better, it was picked because in reality its cheaper to manufacture, and remington won the bid on price, not quality and certainly not accuracy. I cannot imagine building a custom rifle to brag about a name attached to it, or because its what everyone else does. I only see two reasons, MAX repeatable accuracy, and reliability. That said, savage has its shortcomings. I can rid a new savage rifle of these "shortcomings" for less money spent on any 700 type action and end up with a better rifle in every way for less money. The savage tier 1 receivers are far from the savage picked up at the local walmart for $400. That same $400 walmart savage will give you less trouble and shoot straighter than just about everything out there for 2x that price. The only down side to building on a savage action is lack of aftermarket support, and that has nothing to do with the rifle, and everything to do with marketing. Kinda like a ford guy arguing that his powerjoke is as good as a cummins AFTER putting work into it (bulletproofing) lol. So really, id love to know why you think savage is a "cool" factor and not a contender when out of the box it shoots straighter than a lot of custom rifles (talking on average)
    I relate with what Yobuck has said and I feel the same in some respect. I would'nt kick a dog in the ass
    with a Remington, but the footprint models like what Borden or Kelbly's put's out are what he's talking
    about. Like as frog in the pond, some ponds are bigger.

I relate with what Yobuck has said and I feel the same in some respect. I would'nt kick a dog in the ass
    with a Remington, but the footprint models like what Borden or Kelbly's put's out are what he's talking
    i wan't thinking of custom actions, i was thinking in terms of complete store bought rifles. Mistake by omission on my part there. Purpose build custom actions are in a league all of their own. That said, some of those actions alone cost more than my rifle did off the shelf ($1400).

Banned
    Yobuck, if you are talking custom action...$1500 doesn’t go a long way. You’ll have enough to get a trigger. I buy cheap, used Savages. For the Action. My current rifle I‘be had for several years now, I picked up for $270 from Gunbroker. It was a Model 10 YOUTH, in 243Win $ synthetic stock. But is was used very little. So I started my custom rig with a $270 Action/trigger. And to think your WOODEN stocks can offer the same accuracy potential that an Aluminum chassis does... uh, where in the “Facts” is that thinking. Actually, I wonder if you might enlighten us on what “Facts” I’ve turned my back on? I’ll wait for your answer....

BYW... Took you quite a while to answer about your comments yobuck. You need ALL that time to think up that answer? Hmm. So I guess you’ll back to us in a week or two?

Basic Member
    Well Fuj your a competitive shooter correct?
    Your opinion is one thing, but whats the opinions of other competitors in that regard, as well as the (professional) gunsmiths who build their guns?
    Lets be honest here, my reasons for owning Savages has alot to do with loyalty, and the fact that they perform well out of the box.
    Whereas lots of others choose them because it enables them to play the part of a gunsmith and get away with it.
    Fact is its a bit foolish to pay $400 or more for any action, and then pay a professional to true the thing up when for not much more a better one can be had.
    Modern CNC machinery monitored by a Geek has changed lots of things, including the number of custom actions available today.
    People like Borden have a reputation to maintain, and that no doubt means more to him than the few bucks he might make by selling a few actions.

Banned
    And that’s all fine and well for those who have limitless funds to spend at will. Although.... NOOO... Spending $400 on an Action and having it trued will not even get one HALFWAY to the price of a good custom.

Still waiting on those “Facts” I turn my back on btw.

Banned
    Same with scopes. We can’t all spend $2K-$4K on Glass. Some of us have a pretty strict budget of under $1K. What’s sad are those who shit on that.

Ahh... so now I guess I’m “playing” the part of a Gunsmith?

Must mean I’m “playing” at being a Knifemaker because I don’t pound on garbage steel with a hammer & anvil, huh? Because everyone knows a “FORGED” knife is the best & only custom knife, right?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast