Thread: Ejection Problems

Ejection Problems

I have a 111 Receiver that I have used for years. Never given me any problems until recently. I changed the barrel to .308 last year to use as my back up match rifle. I used new Peterson small primer brass and the extractor doesn't seem to want to let the empty casing go, just keeps it shoved against the opposite side of the receiver. If I wiggle it a little bit it will let it go and drop on the follower. This is for bench rest and I single load it so its not a huge issue, just annoying. I started with changing the ejector and spring, same problem. I then cut a few coils off the new ejector spring, same problem. I then changed the extractor and detent ball, same problem. I then changed out the entire bolt head and used a new extractor and ejector. Same problem. So from there I figured it must be an issue with the Peterson brass and gave up and shot it as is. Well this past weekend I put my old .260 Ackley barrel on to fire form some new cases for a new build I plan on doing. Again, Peterson brass and the same problem. Everything works just fine just wont let the brass go. So I decided to grab some of my old Lapua .260 Ackley cases and shoot a few of those. Same problem again, with brass and loads that had previously worked just fine without issue. What the heck is going on with this thing? I have taken the bolt apart multiple times cleaned things very well and the problem persists. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Banned
    I’m a little confused, as you say the extractor keeps the case “shoved” against the opposite side of the receiver. But, the extractor is on the ejection port side. So it should be “shoved” out the EJECTION PORT. You know what I mean?

With the bolt open, the EXTRACTOR is on the side of the Ehection port. And the EJECTOR is on the “opposite” side. So I’m having trouble understanding how the case could be shoved to the wrong side?? You don’t have the Bolt Head on upside down, do you?

Banned
    Yeah, after reading your post again, the ONLY thing I can think, is you installed the Bolt Head UPSIDE DOWN. This would essentially “eject” the brass AWAY from the ejection port.

Trust me, that was the first thing I checked. It is installed correctly. Weirdest thing I have ever seen.

Basic Member
    I'm with Dave on this one.... I can't picture how it could be doing this without either a wrong part or something installed wrong. When my spring broke and the gun had poor ejection it would just drop it on the mag because it didn't have enough juice to send it flying.... and same thing with weak extractor. It would let go of the rim so that it wasn't holding it in place for the ejector to shoot out of there. Not sure how it could pull it to the wrong side of the action unless it is upside down or you have a bolt face that was made for a left port in a right port rifle or vice versa.

Banned
    It can’t!

Can you show us a picture of it. That will help to visualize.

Basic Member
    Have you tried replacing the ejector? I have found there are small differences in them and sometimes changing to a different one will fix the issues.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Have you tried replacing the ejector? I have found there are small differences in them and sometimes changing to a different one will fix the issues.

Texas10, He hasn’t been back since his last post in this thread. His problem was EXACTLY as I said. It’s the only thing it COULD be! With the bolt head upside down, it would eject into the action. Thus, being pinned. I’m guessing he finally figured it out, even AFTER arguing.

What the heck is going on with this thing?
    Well did you cuss it yet? Sometimes you have to do that ya know.

Basic Member
    I bought a used action from a forum member and as soon ad my build was complete I suffered the same symptoms. Turns out the bolt head was not the 308 (.473) that it was advertised as but instead it was a 308 (.473) left hand bolt head. After contacting the seller he explained that is the only bolt head he had to install on the bolt before shipping. Turns out the bolt heads are I identical except for the ejector plunger location.
    Only if someone at the factory blundered it for you, could your problem be from the wrong bolt head.

Ordered another complete bolt head, ejector and spring from Gunshack. Problem is resolved.

Banned
    We’re sure.

So Stomp, was it a left hand bolt head or something else?
    I think Bogboy called it.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.