Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Model 12 308 to 7.62x39

Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Actually I thought it was Serbian ammo. It was hot though.

Huh, I wonder if the Monarch stuff is Serbian, if that will still be available. That would be cool.
    i keep my x39 lose in ammo cans after sorting them by advertised grain weight, then sorting by headstamp. Find the best consistency this way. For instance. These 4 rounds all came out fo the same sealed 1000 rd case of wolf. Can you tell which of the 4 is different. One the headstamp is different. 230+ of them were marked "wolf" the rest were barnaul. I found this to be true of monarch as well. Kind of a hodgepodge of who knows what in them boxes. I always check the head stamps of each and every round and sort accordingly due to this.

Team Savage
    Never seen anything but Serbian head stamps on Academy's Monarch ammo. It's not the same as all the Russian x39 stuff we're so used to.

Never seen anything but Serbian head stamps on Academy's Monarch ammo. It's not the same as all the Russian x39 stuff we're so used to.
    hmm, i could be mistaken.
    If the Beaumont Tx academy ever quits getting panic bought out by losers trying to resell at gouging prices, ill have to pick up another box and have a second look.

GOD i wish people would just stop buying from those "people". Then the insanity would stop. That is the only way ammogeddon will end.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by nathantc View Post
    hmm, i could be mistaken.
    If the Beaumont Tx academy ever quits getting panic bought out by losers trying to resell at gouging prices, ill have to pick up another box and have a second look.

GOD i wish people would just stop buying from those "people". Then the insanity would stop. That is the only way ammogeddon will end.
    I still have a few at home. I'll look when I get there.

Team Savage
    Alright - I checked when I got home. I still have about a 1/2 box of those Monarch hollow points. Sure enough, they are made in Russia, not Serbia. I think I got confused with the brass cased Monarch ammo which is made in Serbia, probably by PPU, for Academy. But the 7.62x39 $6/box stuff I've been buying the last 5-6 years is Russian. So, perhaps it will be subject to a ban if one comes around. Who knows.

I don't currently own a 7.62x39 (got talked out of every one I've owned so far by people who shot mine!) but I don't doubt I will again. However if someone - ANYONE - ever makes a lever action 7.62x39, I'd be all over that. :D

.30 cal 123/125's at 2600 fps. make a dandy deer and pig rifle, and I love lever guns for pig hunting.

Alright - I checked when I got home. I still have about a 1/2 box of those Monarch hollow points. Sure enough, they are made in Russia
    lol and you had me questioning myself. lol Yeah the most consistently accurate steel cased ammo i have found is the ones with the Barnaul headstamp. Unlike most AK guys, i actually shoot mine for accuracy and for destroying crawfish mounds lol. Sure going to miss my AK when ammo for it is the same as .308 in cost. My beloved c39v2 with all polish internals that consistently keeps 1.5" at 100 yards when scoped. Irons i can some times match that. I only shoot it with the irons, but scoped it to see what it could do.. This and my little savage will be shelved until ammo is realistic again. Even in the brass PPU stuff ill never understand why x39 does not mirror .223 price, yet mirrors .308 price.

Basic Member
    Just got a line on a model 11 in 243, going to check it out this weekend- this project may move forward yet.

Basic Member
    Anyone know if x39 will feed from an internal (staggerfeed) mag?

Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Anyone know if x39 will feed from an internal (staggerfeed) mag?
    I actually tried this on a 308 before i bought the axis to build off of. Was going to buy the older 308 if it worked but it was not at all going to. Im sure anything can be modified but it does not feed well at all if at all.

Basic Member
    Well hell.

Banned
    Need to use a spacer in the longer 308 mag. Same as if you running a 223 in the 308 mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Need to use a spacer in the longer 308 mag. Same as if you running a 223 in the 308 mag.
    in the staggered feed blind mag i found that the shape of the 7.62x39 would not feed even if that was there without other modifications. The part that acts as feed lips ends to soon making the rounds want to tip up to soon or flat out nose dive. Im sure work could be done to correct this, but i personally chose to just stick to a detachable box mag as they are easier to make work without changing the rifle its self.

Basic Member

Hogue uses a reversible pillar on their stocks so they can be used with either 4.27 or 4.4 action spacing.

Any reason you couldn't use one of their dbm stocks, flip the pillar so it fits the stagger feed spacing and run it with dbms?

Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post

Hogue uses a reversible pillar on their stocks so they can be used with either 4.27 or 4.4 action spacing.

Any reason you couldn't use one of their dbm stocks, flip the pillar so it fits the stagger feed spacing and run it with dbms?
    i believe a feed ramp change is required and some inletting on the action to do that.

Basic Member
    Hmm, might be worth looking into.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123