Thread: Problems after bolt handle swap

Problems after bolt handle swap

I just swapped the bolt handle on my 110 Storm. No problems getting the handles swapped out.

Now that I have reassembled the bolt, every so often if I work the bolt hard I have an issue. The cocking indicator will drop half-way (it's visibly moved, but isn't all the way down). When this happens the accutrigger safety mechanism gets locked in place and the trigger can't be pulled. Lifting the bolt re-cocks the rifle and it's back to business as usual. The problem probably occurs 1/20 times I work the bolt and only when running it really hard. But it never happened prior to me switching the handles out.

I haven't live-fired the rifle since noticing this, but I'm assuming that there isn't the potential for a slam fire given the position of the cocking indicator and the trigger being stuck. Just being as cautious as possible.

Anybody else experienced this issue? Did I manage to screw something up reassembling the bolt?

Basic Member
    It is slam firing.... but the safety sear is doing its job and catching the firing pin assembly and keeping it from striking a primer. And then you are re-cocking the gun when you run the bolt again.

Basic Member
    Did you put a bigger bolt handle on that you can run with more force? Or did you lube everything up?

My first guess would not be bolt assembly.... I would adjust the trigger (check out a youtube video). Good luck

I did move to a bigger bolt handle. But after the issue popped up I went back to the original bolt and it still happened.

I have the accutrigger adjusted as light as it will go per the instructions and I've heard that can cause slam firing issues. I'll try setting it a little heavier. Just weirds me out that the issue never occurred until I swapped the bolt handles.

Thanks for the response.

Banned
    I’m thinking you adjusted the ACCUTRIGGER as light as possible at the same time, huh? That’s the problem. When adjusted to the lightest point, the trigger/sear surfaces do not have enough preload to keep from tripping upon closing the bolt. Adjust it a little heavier and it will be fine.

Team Savage
    (I did move to a bigger bolt handle. But after the issue popped up I went back to the original bolt and it still happened)

You just eliminated the bolt handle as the problem.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.