Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6mm arc

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    If velocity is always the most important metric to gauge the value of a cartridge may I interest you in my new wildcat the 6mm-50BMG?”

HAHAHA.... Funny, I did like that. But obviously we know it’s not a viable concept. I believe it’s actually been tried... Someone called it a 50BMG-243 or something. I’ve only read about it..never seen it. The problem is, and the reason the powder/velocity % correlation you used is moot, is that a given projectile needs exponentially more pressure to reach higher velocities. Simply using larger & larger cases becomes futile above a certain threshold. I’m not interested in MAX velocity. I’m interested in the CORRECT velocity given diameter, weight & length of the projectile. There is a reason people don’t load the ultra heavy 220gr 30cal pills in 308. And it’s NOT oal, as we’ve been playing with that forever! The given powder column is insufficient to reach stabilizing velocity.

Although, more velocity was not my argument. I was simply pointing out the powder/velocity percentage argument as fallible.

The fact is the arc was another attempt at stimulating the “more-better-er” mindset in much the AR15 enthusiast crowd. The 6.5 Grendel was a failure(not completely like the 300Whisper, but pretty bad). However, the 300aac was a hit.. go figure. The 6mm projectile is UBER popular, and they are trying to tap into that.

And once again I’ll say it... if it tickles your fancy, have at it. But I’ll continue listing actual credible evidence we’ve seen. The Grendel cartridge was NO accuracy wonder as it was touted. It never achieved any shooting greatness in the sport. And remember, it’s ok if we disagree. Certainly no need to hurl attacks as *some feel the need.
    Absolutely man. I was just being goofy about the 6mm-50BMG.

Quote Originally Posted by kingdombuilder View Post
    According to Hornady , 108 eldm in 6 arc with a BOLT GUN can get 2850 with 31.2 gr leverevolution and yes 62000 psi . That's a small powder charge for the velocity . In todays economy approx 10 grain of powder is alot . That's a free powder charge every 3 rounds . With that info and the accuracy to me that puts it in better competition than br and dashers . It's also a lot less br,ss work than some of those br wild cats
    Sounds like a 6 BR or a derivative.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianm1972 View Post
    Absolutely man. I was just being goofy about the 6mm-50BMG.
    Oh yeah I got you right way. You can actually Google some pics and they look ridiculous. The one I was thinking of was actually a 22 in a necked down 378 Weatherby Magnum case. Itwssdone in the 60’s by P.O. Ackley and hit 4600fps with a 50gr bullet.

Called the 22 Eagersplitten Loudenboomer Pretty ridiculous!
    https://blade-city.com/blogs/gun-kni...n-loudenboomer

Basic Member
    How does one have the time, or the interest, to keep up with all this irrevellant bull sh—t ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    How does one have the time, or the interest, to keep up with all this irrevellant bull sh—t ?
    Yobuck, I’m completely disabled and in severe pain 24 hours a day. Severe nerve pain with no cure & no end in sight, from a Brachial Plexus Injury. I don’t drive any longer, get violently ill when I’m in a vehicle, don’t walk so good, and being on my feet for more than a couple minutes triggers massive pain fits. I also suffered brain damage which causes me to severely overheat. Pretty much need to be in AC & have a fan on me at all times. I can usually muster an hour or two some days to mess with gun projects, or making my custom knives. Other than that, I’m pretty much relegated to my living room sofa. (Some days pain has me stuck in bed)

So I read and research A LOT! That’s the “HOW”.... as for interest. Well, you’d be surprised. Boredom is a horrible thing.

Im sorry you think it’s bull dung.

Basic Member
    The Grendel is a great cartridge In the platform it's designed for , an AR. It didnt catch on because the military never picked it up . Ballistically it's Superior to every other ar caliber . I built one a psa with an 18 inch barrel . It shoots under 5/8 of an inch with hand loads . That's amazing In a budget ar . Its so Good it needed a redo in the 6 arc . Just my opinion and experiences . Sorry to hear about your health Dave . I get it, had a stroke 2 years ago but getting better . Hang
    in there and pray brother .

Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    Interesting discussion though it is not helping me to decide which to rebarrel to.

Latest discussion I have been participating in is the use of the 250 Savage as a 100 to 300yd target chambering. Then with the new bullet offerings I am giving it serious consideration. Yes just to be different!
    A buddy I shoot with at the Anderson Creek UBR matches is in the middle of a 250 Savage short course build.
    Great cartridge back when, and still more then viable today.....Never myself fancied anything in 6mm, Sneeze,
    and a new variation pops up. Their all good at the proper place and the right time though.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yobuck, I’m completely disabled and in severe pain 24 hours a day. Severe nerve pain with no cure & no end in sight, from a Brachial Plexus Injury. I don’t drive any longer, get violently ill when I’m in a vehicle, don’t walk so good, and being on my feet for more than a couple minutes triggers massive pain fits. I also suffered brain damage which causes me to severely overheat. Pretty much need to be in AC & have a fan on me at all times. I can usually muster an hour or two some days to mess with gun projects, or making my custom knives. Other than that, I’m pretty much relegated to my living room sofa. (Some days pain has me stuck in bed)

So I read and research A LOT! That’s the “HOW”.... as for interest. Well, you’d be surprised. Boredom is a horrible thing.

Im sorry you think it’s bull dung.
    Well Dave im truly sorry about your condition.
    Based upon what youve said about it im somewhat surprised your able to accomplish what you do.
    I suppose there could be others here who might also have health issues which prevents them from from doing all they might like.
    As for your being sorry about what i might think, im quite willing to take on that responsibility on my own.
    I had no opinion on what the OP asked about so i didnt offer any.
    Fact is i wasent even aware of that cartridge untill he posted his question.
    He mentioned his reason for having an interest in it, and it seems there are quite a few who feel it is a good choice.
    Except you, and i guess it might be fair to ask who are you?
    And why should your opinion matter more than others, including mine.
    It might be a good idea for you to spend some of that time you have thinking about that.

And while im at it id like to thank Darkerr about his Lego building comment.
    I wish i had thought that one up. lol

Basic Member
    If I were to choose now I would still pick a 6BR. For shooting at long range I am not going to worry about how many boxes of ammo are on the shelf at the store. Mine will be all hand made to a much higher standard than the mfg stuff (except maybe Lapua :) ).

I don't see the long range target crowd going 'backward' to the 6ARC. They have already gone past the 6BR with the Dasher. I still don't see why folks have chosen the Dasher over the 6x47, 6XC or 6CM. In that small crowd all it takes is one or two people to win consistently and others will follow what they are using. When you go through a barrel or two a season, changing cartridges is not that big a deal. And many of 'them' seem to enjoy tinkering with wildcats.

Will the 6ARC become popular? Maybe it will. As a true AR cartridge and Hornady's pushing I suspect it has a good chance. I do not believe the military will be as accepting, but, they always seem to do things differently. We have seen the 6.8 rumors come and go, now the 6 will bounce around for a while. Without a big war to push it I suspect the Army will not change calibers any time soon.

A hurdle to the 6ARC is the bolt face issue. Many AR users would be more than willing to swap uppers with the same bolt assy. The 300BO is a good example. When you have to change magazines and bolt, then you have another 'hurdle' for wide spread acceptance.

OTOH, the deer hunters out there have been looking for a good round to use in the AR. The BO was ok but not great for many folks. Maybe this 6mm will tip the scales.

Banned
    Nevermind...I take that back. My initial thoughts were correct.

And another thread turns into soap opera drama.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12