Thread: A22 Trigger mods ? ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Exclamation A22 Trigger mods - 2 Solutions 01-22-2022

SEE SOLUTIONS on POST ON 01/21/2022 ** I just wanted to ask if anyone has found 'good' DIY mods for the 5# A22 trigger? I've found the 'Cut the Spring' mod and vague references to replacing the T-spring with a weaker one, and a couple others. But nothing else in the last couple years and nothing (except for 2 pics) with pics or vids. And if I wanted to spend another $3-400 on a jard or timney I'd just buy a CZ or something. I just bought an A22 after getting a 1/2" B22 and wasn't expecting a Tupperware trigger assy. that couldn't keep under 1". I got frustrated after about 75 rounds and switched to another gun for the afternoon.
    Anyway, I'll be tearing the assy apart and polishing, but I can't find anything for other suggestions. I'll be contacting Savage about getting a Varmint spring, which is the only 'good' idea I've found. Maybe they'll send me one out of pity.
    PS - I'm posting this on other forums too. I've spent lots of time searching inet for answers.
    Last edited by Fasteddie01; 01-22-2022 at 12:18 PM. Reason: UPDATE TITLE

JARD, period end of discussion. Spend the money and try to wipe the big grin off of your face afterwards. I found that the 'accutrigger' was anything but with a minimum pull of 5.5#. Spent the bucks and got a JARD at 2.5# and problem solved. They are a bit of a fit so take your time, voice of experience here.

Basic Member
    Well, like I said if I wanted to have $5-600 in a rifle I'd just go with a CZ or something. Thanks for the suggestion, tho. I got tired of waiting to see if anyone had any 'new fixes' so I went ahead with some of the suggestions I'd found on other forums. Mine is the 'Standard' barrel and I have a Limbsaver rubber 'harmonic reducer' to put on after I get a better feel for the gun's potential. At 25yds I got it zeroed - within 1/2" using Fed Champion 40g, but at 50 I only got a couple groups under 1". Most were 1.5-2" or worse.
    So last nite I took the trigger assy out and switched springs a bit. I'd read on some forum that you could take the 'Safety spring' and put that in place of the Trigger spring with a bit of stretching, then I put part (3/4) of a 'clik-pen' spring on the Safety. I did that and dry fires are down around 2-2.5# with a crisp break. I plan to go out Monday to test fire, cause earlier with 'no-spring' on the safety it wouldn't reset consistently. Only 1-2 shots then I had to manually rack the bolt to reset the trigger. I'll post my results later in the week, with notes and pics.
    PS - I just wanted to add : I have NOT fired the gun yet with these mods, so I cannot guarantee they work properly. I DON'T KNOW for sure . . . so be advised.

I wasn’t planning going there either BUT ont thing led to another and here I am. The Boyd stock wasn’t necessary but. WTH. Got a cheap BSA Sweet 17 that works well. I’m getting ground squirrels out about 175 yards so yeah it’s fun.

Basic Member
    Well, I've experimented with the trigger set-up and found on RimfireCentral an 'old post' describing a relatively simple mod that may work. I've tried a few others (see my thread on RFC) so I won't go into the details here, but this one seems to be good. I still haven't fired this mod so it may not be the answer. I posted this "new - old" mod on RFC tonite and will update this thread when I test fire.

Basic Member

Thumbs Up UPDATE on trigger-mod 9/02/21

UPDATE - I was out y-day and got the 'RFC mod by nebbiolo' working right. I had to increase the trigger-pull a bit, to around 2.5# (guess-no gage) but it cycled and re-set properly and was shooting under 1" @ 50yds with a 3-9x42 scope. Good enough for the first 30-40 shots, it was windy so I didn't shoot a lot. Can't waste that grey-gold ;-O
    Here's what the mod looks like - I think it's a #4x28 3/4" bolt & nuts to lock place. Need to adjust it for correct depth, sorta fussy, then adjusted the trigger-thing a bit heavier with that 'tool' they included. I may fiddle with that some more later.
    Here's my RFC post :
    " ... I got frustrated with searching for another 'fix' and did the mods that Nebbiolo had posted on the link in my previous post, his is at Post #10 and includes pics. The hardest part was finding a bolt small enough to fit into the "reset bar" hole, along with a couple nuts to lock it in place. I have lots of 'odds 'n ends' of that sort and finally found what I needed. It was like a #4-28 x 3/4", I think, my stuff isn't all categorized and id'd The locking nut that fit on the end measured 0.10" thick and when tightened onto the bolt with the 'upper' was slightly ( ca. 0.01-0.02" ) so there was a bit of 'free-play' for the reset. I've tested the trigger-pull and it's about 1.5-2#, like Nebbiolo's so that's promising. It works fine with dry-fire (as have the other 'solutions') but still needs to be fired. That comes in a few days, barring remnants of Ida coming here. My pics are similar to his, except I didn't have room for a 'lower' washer. BTW, I also have detailed the steps on reducing the tension on the mags, to facilitate loading. Pretty simple but always helps to have instructions. I'll post that in another thread, with several pics.

[IMG][/IMG]