Thread: Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 - loss of clarity at higher magnifications?

Basic Member

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 - loss of clarity at higher magnifications?

My new Viper 6.5-20x44 arrived today. I went outside and put the crosshairs (target dot actually) on something at about 200 yards and was immediately pleased with the clarity. I looked the scope over and noticed it was only set to 6.5x power so cranked it up midrange to 14x and re-sighted on the same object. Right away I noticed it was less clear and harder to maintain eye relief without a dark halo appearing around the outer edge. I have heard such rave reviews about this scope line that I was a little surprised to see this happen. It reminded me of the cheaper Tasco I have of the same size. I have not cranked it up further to the full 20x yet but can only assume it will exhibit the same and worse.

I am curious if anybody else has experienced this? I am 100% sure the Vortex folks will offer to look at it and swap it out but not sure if this is simply to be expected for this scope.

Basic Member

Re: Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 - loss of clarity at higher magnifications?

I have four of that same scope and I haven't seen that in any of them. You can be sure that Vortex will make it right.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

Basic Member

All variable power scopes will have more light in lower power. Once you get the scope mounted on a gun, the halo will not be noticeable with your head supported by the stock.
    You will have to focus the reticle at high power to get the best clarity.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Pete K.

Wahoowad,

Your post begins with " My Vortex Viper arrived today". You need to read all you can two times about adjusting the scope. Read this link "two times or more" until it is easy to remember. Then on a fairly clear sunny day do as it says to adjust it. Take your time and repeat the adjustments until you find the best settings. Your scope is far better than what you have experienced so far. Be patient.

http://vortexcanada.net/images/docum...per_manual.pdf

Pete K.

Captain Finlander

I have the same scope and I think I know what your talking about. What I have noticed about it first thing is that it is very parallax sensitive. More so than objective adjustable scopes so you need to adjust it as your target ranges change. At 20x you are also going to loose field of view and I noticed right off it has tighter eye relief and centerline focus at 20x. I am still testing mine out but am pleased with its performance so far. Once you get it mounted and your actually sighting it in I'll be curious to get an update.

Basic Member

I sighted it in last week but the range and time of day did not afford me a chance to evaluate the clarity. I had no issues whatsoever sighting it in though. I might get out today and bust a groundhog or two so that will be a good test. Reading the manual twice is supposed to also make the optics more clear from what I hear.

I love mine, I use a number of Vortex, to include the 8.5X32 and they perform well. I had a paralax adjustment problem with one of my 6.5X20s so sent it back to Vortex to be repaired. Total turn around time was 10 days and I received a nice explainantion on what they found and repaired.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Captain Finlander

Speaking about Vortex Vipers, does anyone have any experience with the 2-7x32's. I am considering buying one while they are still on sale.

Yes, I have bought 4 of the 2-7x's. They are great. Get one (or more).

I currently have one on my 375 H&H that has taken over 200 rounds so far, no problem.

Very sharp and clear scope, and a steal at twice the price.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Captain Finlander

As if I could turn one down after that endorsement. I kind of planned on buying one but it never hurts to ask around.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim

and a steal at twice the price.
    pretty sure you meant at " half the price" they normally are, right?

If they are a steal at twice the price I&#39;ll buy a couple at normal price and sell them to ya...LOL

I have had 6 or 7 Vipers, with every reticle they offer, and have not had a problem with any of them. Tracking on them while shooting from 100-800+ yards has always been perfect. I just recently got a Diamondback 3.5-10x50 and it looks just as good as the Vipers, and Im sure will be just as reliable.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

pdog,

No, I really meant it was a steal at twice the price. I bought my first 2 viper&#39;s at full price, before the "sale" came along. I&#39;m still just as happy with those scopes as I could be with any other scope I&#39;ve purchased. I think they are of higher quality than their original price should represent.

I&#39;d still like to buy a few more while they last on closeout, to just have sitting on the shelf for future possibilities.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot