Thread: Gun shack parts for older Savage rifles.

Team Savage

Gun shack parts for older Savage rifles.

Gun Shack says their parts will only fit post 1999 Savage rifles. What happened in 1999? I own a savage 110C purchased in about 1981, a Savage model 11, 300 wsm, purchased in 1991, and the wife has a model 16, 270wsm, we bought around 2010.
    Is Gun Shack correct? A tactical bolt handle for a LH 110 won't fit my 1980s 110C? Or my model 11. Both my rifles are LH, the wife's 270 is RH.

Edit........the 1980s 110C has an ER Shaw barrel kit on it. 30-06 to 338-06. Shaw doesn't mention anything about pre 1999.

Basic Member
    Good question as i am looking for a tactical bolt handle for my 1963 110 LH.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

There were some differences in the key slots in the bolt body that fit the bolt handle. I don't remember what those were but I think Glades armory had information. I also don't remember the years. What it amounted to was one wont fit the other and the other had slop in the movement when mated to the one...:) I will look around and see what I can find...unless One of the forum gurus like James or Fred chime in.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

How did you manage to purchase a rifle in .300 WSM in 1991 when the round didn't exist commercially until 2001?

As for the bolt handle fitment, the design hasn't changed since 1966. All the companies out there who supply parts for Savage's will basically give you a cut-off date (usually 1996) as that's when Ron Coburn took ownership of Savage out of bankruptcy protection so they aren't liable/responsible for anything made prior to that. Also, given all the small changes Savage has made over the years such supply companies have no way of knowing what will/won't fit a given rifle of a given vintage. Last but not least, most such suppliers only have access to current production parts as that's all that's available to them from Savage. So for example, if you have an older rifle with the stagger feed magazine system and you need a new magazine follower, you aren't likely going to find one for sale from any parts supplier (Numrick's being the exception since they disassemble and part out old guns).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    How did you manage to purchase a rifle in .300 WSM in 1991 when the round didn't exist commercially until 2001?

As for the bolt handle fitment, the design hasn't changed since 1966. All the companies out there who supply parts for Savage's will basically give you a cut-off date (usually 1996) as that's when Ron Coburn took ownership of Savage out of bankruptcy protection so they aren't liable/responsible for anything made prior to that. Also, given all the small changes Savage has made over the years such supply companies have no way of knowing what will/won't fit a given rifle of a given vintage. Last but not least, most such suppliers only have access to current production parts as that's all that's available to them from Savage. So for example, if you have an older rifle with the stagger feed magazine system and you need a new magazine follower, you aren't likely going to find one for sale from any parts supplier (Numrick's being the exception since they disassemble and part out old guns).
    Just saw this and paid more attention to it. My 300wsm was actually purchased in 2002 or early 03. Lapse in memory!