Thread: Hey Everyone, New Guy Here!

Basic Member

Hey Everyone, New Guy Here!

Just found this site yesterday! First to admit I`m no expert when it comes to rifles, know a lot more about shotguns. Haven`t spent any time with anything other than 16s and 14s more years ago than I care to think about when I worked for the " government". Just acquired an Apex Storm in 223 as a part of a project with a buddy to thin the coyote population on his 600 acres here in Georgia. Hope to get to the range this week to hopefully get the rifle and scope on the same page. Sure hope what Savage says about bore sighting at the factory is legit! Appreciate any input and I`m looking forward to learning a lot from you guys!

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    with a buddy to thin the coyote population on his 600 acres here in Georgia.
    Now that sounds like fun!!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by semaj View Post
    Welcome!

Now that sounds like fun!!!
    Well, we`ll see. I`m recently retired, so it`s kind of a new endeavor. Doing a lot of reading about calls and tactics and such. Fun to be learning something new! Thanks for the welcome!

Basic Member
    Welcome. If your rifle is sighted in anywhere near close it will be different than a lot of us experienced. Good luck with your new 'job'. Sounds like fun :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Welcome. If your rifle is sighted in anywhere near close it will be different than a lot of us experienced. Good luck with your new 'job'. Sounds like fun :)
    Yep, just hope it`s on paper and a decent group. I can adjust from there. If it`s WAY off I guess I`ll be doing my own bore sighting and heading back to the range.

Banned
    Good to have another Savage fan. Or any other rifle for that matter.... I like ‘em all for the most part. Just took to Savage since I was 18, and have become kinda attached to to them.

Good place here. Lotta guys who really care & many who will go out of their way to help out another member. And a good core group with enough rifle/pistol/auto loader/reloading & Machining knowledge to answer about any question you might come up with. Welcome aboard & have a blast!

Oh yeah...can’t wait to hear how your rig shoots.

Basic Member
    That`s an interesting comment. Thanks. Is it meant to imply that the XP package rifles are NOT bore sighted or if they are, not particularly well?

Basic Member
    That`s an interesting comment. Thanks. Is it meant to imply that the XP package rifles are NOT bore sighted or if they are, not particularly well?

Well, there is no way to know what bullet you are using and the different weights are going to shoot differently and even the same weight between different manufacturers will shoot differently. It is just meant to get you somewhat close so you don't waste a lot of ammo getting it where it needs to be.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    Well, there is no way to know what bullet you are using and the different weights are going to shoot differently and even the same weight between different manufacturers will shoot differently. It is just meant to get you somewhat close so you don't waste a lot of ammo getting it where it needs to be.
    Ammunition variability is something of which I`m aware. If it`s bore sighted just well enough to get me on paper, that`s really all I hope for and can ask.

Team Savage

Simple to do, set a target out at 50 - 100yrds, pull the bolt, look through barrel and position so centered on target, now look through scope and adjust until crosshairs match what you see through barrel. Will get you on paper in one shot if scope was properly mounted which I would not trust "from the factory".

Banned
    shoot a couple at 25yd a few at 50yd get a decent group move to 100 then 200 if you want. never bore sighted a rifle yet and have probably built and refinished 50 in my lifetime.

Banned

I would never trust a manufacturers claim of bore sighting. Grab one of these or one of the other inexpensive options, and make certain yourself. https://www.amazon.com/EZshoot-Sight...3+bore+&sr=8-5

Remember, bore sighting is only to get you on paper. Use your distance math, angular measurement from there... MOA, Mil-rad. I encourage knowing both & being able to convert on the fly.

Basic Member
    Thanks everybody, appreciate the input. The plan will be to go to the range with the initial assumption, based on statements from Savage, that the scope/gun is bore sighted. it will be an interesting test. If I`m on paper and able to dial in, great. If not, and I`m either not on paper or all over the place, I won`t chase it, I`ll just come home, bore sight, and go back to the range( (another range trip is never a bad thing if one likes to shoot!). It`s all part of the fun, or at least that`s how I look at it! Bottom line, I`m confident I`ll be able to dial in.

Basic Member
    My Axis was not on paper when I first fired it. Probably cause the scope mount screws were a little loose. It would pay to check everything and then either take a big piece of paper to shoot at or boresight it before going to the range.

We have big dirt mounds for target backing so I just pick a rock and shoot at it. Then adjust the scope and put rounds on paper.

Basic Member
    I was curious what exactly the Apex Storm was and went to the Savage site to look and I see they come with a Vortex scope. Is Savage using Vortex on all their package guns or does it vary by model and price?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    I was curious what exactly the Apex Storm was and went to the Savage site to look and I see they come with a Vortex scope. Is Savage using Vortex on all their package guns or does it vary by model and price?
    No, several models come with a Vortex, but I believe at least one model has a Bushnell.

Banned
    My Buddy Bought an expensive savage chassis rifle scope mounts were loose as could be right out of the box!

Basic Member
    Well, went to the range today to see if I could get my Apex Storm 223 and its Crossfire II scope on the same page. If my gun/scope is an example, then Savage`s claim that their gun/scope packages are bore sighted is indeed legit. First round easily on paper at 100. About 4" left and 2" down had me with good " hunting groups" for yotes at 1" high. That was with Frontier ( Hornady ) 55 grain HP Match rounds. Now, the not so good. Shot several rounds of what I had hoped would be my hunting rounds ( PPU 55grain SP ). Those things were literally from one side of the target to the other and points in between! I`m not a great shot by anyone`s definition....but I ain`t THAT bad! Let things cool some between shots, but they still sprayed. Could be that I`ll be evaluating some other hunting loads! That`s too bad because they`re not cheap.

Basic Member
    Sorry about the grouping. I had some really bad experience with factory ammo as well. Maybe not as bad as yours, but, 4" groups at 100yd.

FYI, Savage says they use Federal GMM with the 69gn SMK as their test ammo.

Basic Member
    Sorry about the grouping. I had some really bad experience with factory ammo as well. Maybe not as bad as yours, but, 4" groups at 100yd.

FYI, Savage says they use Federal GMM with the 69gn SMK as their test ammo.
    Thanks Charlie. I had a good time and was satisfied with the Frontier ( Hornady ) grouping, especially when I take my shooting ability into consideration! All in all, pleased with the gun and scope. Just have to work through some variability with hunting loads, I think.

Basic Member
    You are very close to the edge of the rabbit hole. Your next thought will be to wander if I could reload to achieve better accuracy. Just pull another $300 or $400 out of your account and go for it. This $hit is addictive. You have been warned

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strut64 View Post
    You are very close to the edge of the rabbit hole. Your next thought will be to wander if I could reload to achieve better accuracy. Just pull another $300 or $400 out of your account and go for it. This $hit is addictive. You have been warned
    LOL!! Thanks much! As far as accuracy is concerned, I`m really not concerned with necessarily putting three rounds inside of a i" square at 100 yards. I am, however, interested in consistently hitting within a coyote`s physical kill zone. It`s nice to shoot a tight group, sure, but I`ll never be much of a precision shooter I fear! With all that in mind, I`ll probably stick with factory loads. It sure is fun to go shoot at the range, though!

Basic Member
    “Three rounds in a one inch square” ..... oh my, you have been away from rifles too long!

A Savage bolt gun with worked up handload in good varmint cartridges such as the 223 is going to require smaller squares than that!

Anyway a big welcome to the forum!

You want coyote confab? Check out Predator Masters Forum

Three44s

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    “Three rounds in a one inch square” ..... oh my, you have been away from rifles too long!

A Savage bolt gun with worked up handload in good varmint cartridges such as the 223 is going to require smaller squares than that!

Anyway a big welcome to the forum!

You want coyote confab? Check out Predator Masters Forum

Three44s
    Thank you sir. Already been to Predator Masters. I hope and imagine that this gun will do more accuracy wise than I`m capable of as a marksman! Just need " minute of coyote " groups and I`ll be happy.