Thread: Hey Everyone, New Guy Here!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Hey Everyone, New Guy Here!

Just found this site yesterday! First to admit I`m no expert when it comes to rifles, know a lot more about shotguns. Haven`t spent any time with anything other than 16s and 14s more years ago than I care to think about when I worked for the " government". Just acquired an Apex Storm in 223 as a part of a project with a buddy to thin the coyote population on his 600 acres here in Georgia. Hope to get to the range this week to hopefully get the rifle and scope on the same page. Sure hope what Savage says about bore sighting at the factory is legit! Appreciate any input and I`m looking forward to learning a lot from you guys!

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    with a buddy to thin the coyote population on his 600 acres here in Georgia.
    Now that sounds like fun!!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by semaj View Post
    Welcome!

Now that sounds like fun!!!
    Well, we`ll see. I`m recently retired, so it`s kind of a new endeavor. Doing a lot of reading about calls and tactics and such. Fun to be learning something new! Thanks for the welcome!

Basic Member
    Welcome. If your rifle is sighted in anywhere near close it will be different than a lot of us experienced. Good luck with your new 'job'. Sounds like fun :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Welcome. If your rifle is sighted in anywhere near close it will be different than a lot of us experienced. Good luck with your new 'job'. Sounds like fun :)
    Yep, just hope it`s on paper and a decent group. I can adjust from there. If it`s WAY off I guess I`ll be doing my own bore sighting and heading back to the range.

Banned
    Good to have another Savage fan. Or any other rifle for that matter.... I like ‘em all for the most part. Just took to Savage since I was 18, and have become kinda attached to to them.

Good place here. Lotta guys who really care & many who will go out of their way to help out another member. And a good core group with enough rifle/pistol/auto loader/reloading & Machining knowledge to answer about any question you might come up with. Welcome aboard & have a blast!

Oh yeah...can’t wait to hear how your rig shoots.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    That`s an interesting comment. Thanks. Is it meant to imply that the XP package rifles are NOT bore sighted or if they are, not particularly well?

Basic Member
    That`s an interesting comment. Thanks. Is it meant to imply that the XP package rifles are NOT bore sighted or if they are, not particularly well?

Well, there is no way to know what bullet you are using and the different weights are going to shoot differently and even the same weight between different manufacturers will shoot differently. It is just meant to get you somewhat close so you don't waste a lot of ammo getting it where it needs to be.

Banned

I would never trust a manufacturers claim of bore sighting. Grab one of these or one of the other inexpensive options, and make certain yourself. https://www.amazon.com/EZshoot-Sight...3+bore+&sr=8-5

Remember, bore sighting is only to get you on paper. Use your distance math, angular measurement from there... MOA, Mil-rad. I encourage knowing both & being able to convert on the fly.