Thread: Other very early 110's out there?

Other very early 110's out there?

I have started down the rabbit hole of re-barreling my 1958? # 2099X 110L from .30-06 to 6mm Remington.
    You have all been very helpful with advice on the process, and as soon as I move some inventory off the gun show table, the project will move forward with a McGowan barrel.
    The more time I spend with this action in my hands, the more I really like it. I have owned several 1903A3's, and several Remington 700 series actions, and I think, overall, the 110 is superior.

In the mean time, I was wondering just how many of these pre 1966 110's are still out there?
    There are apparently still enough that the barrel makers will work on them as long as you have the original barrel for them to take measurements from.
    Does anyone here still have any of the "clip" extractor type actions, or have they been discarded for the most part in favor of the newer actions.

Just thought I would see if I could stir up some discussion and learn any more about the early action. Thanks, Mike
    "Omnia Mea Mecum Porto"

Team Savage

Do you still have the original barrel for yours? If yes, look at barrel for an oval stamp containing 2digits followed by a letter, the letter converts to year of manufacture. Here's the chart

1957 = I
    1958 = J
    1959 = K
    1960 = M
    1961 = N
    1962 = O
    1963 = P
    1964 = Q
    1965 = R
    1966 = S
    1967 = T
    1968 = U*

(* used only until Savage added an alpha character preceding serial numbers in compliance with the 1968 Gun Control Act.)

To my knowledge (I've not seen a lower serial number yet) this is the oldest 110 known to date.

Only markings on the barrel are Proof tested cal.30-06

and then an oval with SP inside. And then an X very near the front edge of the barrel nut.

The action is a left hand marked Savage Arms Corporation on the front ring is Savage On the other side of the front ring is 2099X
    Chicopee Falls Mass USA Model 110L
    The barrel has the swell for the rear sight, but no dovetail cut. No holes for a front sight, but the action is drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. I was told that early in production Savage sold barreled actions without wood for custom stock makers.
    This makes sense to me as the action is inletted into a beautiful slim classic stock with 20 line cut checkering.
    "Omnia Mea Mecum Porto"

Basic Member
    Ive got one in 30.06 made in 1963. Bought by my father at Montgomery Wards in February 1963. I still have the reciept. And its a lefty.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Here are my four 110L’s from 1959 (one of each caliber). The two short actions are in the 17,xxx range and have K date codes. I’ve previously owned another 243 that was 17,1xx but had a J date code (1958).

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by mikebritton View Post
    Only markings on the barrel are Proof tested cal.30-06

and then an oval with SP inside. And then an X very near the front edge of the barrel nut.

The action is a left hand marked Savage Arms Corporation on the front ring is Savage On the other side of the front ring is 2099X
    Chicopee Falls Mass USA Model 110L
    The barrel has the swell for the rear sight, but no dovetail cut. No holes for a front sight, but the action is drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. I was told that early in production Savage sold barreled actions without wood for custom stock makers.
    This makes sense to me as the action is inletted into a beautiful slim classic stock with 20 line cut checkering.
    Hmm, am wondering if that may be a replacement barrel since it doesn't have the inspector stamp, rear sight dovetail, and not drilled/tapped for front sight base.

Would it have the machined "lump" for the rear sight if it was a replacement?
    "Omnia Mea Mecum Porto"

Team Savage

Back in the day nothing would surprise me. If you have the ability to do so, some pictures would be intriguing.

Sorry, I have this thing about having to pay to post pictures.....
    "Omnia Mea Mecum Porto"

Banned
    Sorry, I have this thing about having to pay to post pictures.....
    Don’t need to. You can host the pics on Imgbb. https://imgbb.com/
    Very simple to third party host. Don’t even need to sign up or enter email. Upload, click on pic, click “About” on left hand side and copy & past the “BBCode”.

“It’s SO easy, even a Caveman can do it!”

Basic Member
    I had early lefty Savage 06 in a premier grade.
    I also bought a lefty barreled action in 300 Win mag and installed a Fajian laminated stock on it.
    As i recall the barreled action was about $90 in the 60s.

Team Savage
    I have started down the rabbit hole of re-barreling my 1958? # 2099X 110L from .30-06 to 6mm Remington.
    You have all been very helpful with advice on the process, and as soon as I move some inventory off the gun show table, the project will move forward with a McGowan barrel.
    The more time I spend with this action in my hands, the more I really like it. I have owned several 1903A3's, and several Remington 700 series actions, and I think, overall, the 110 is superior.

In the mean time, I was wondering just how many of these pre 1966 110's are still out there?
    There are apparently still enough that the barrel makers will work on them as long as you have the original barrel for them to take measurements from.
    Does anyone here still have any of the "clip" extractor type actions, or have they been discarded for the most part in favor of the newer actions.

Just thought I would see if I could stir up some discussion and learn any more about the early action. Thanks, Mike
    I have to agree with you here. I spent most of the winter rebarreling a pre-patent 110 from '06 to 7x57 and fitting a Timney trigger to it. But that action. It was just fantastic. I'm not sure I've ever had an action that fed rounds better than that old 110 did. It was just a joy to use.

Eventually I sold my project to someone who really wanted a vintage Savage in 7x57. It was a fun project though and I learned a ton in the process.