Thread: 7mm WSM action question

Basic Member

7mm WSM action question

I have a small shank action (30-06). I know I have read on different sites and may be here also that if you wan to build a WSM you need a large shank barrel, right? What if I do away with the barrel nut to increase the diameter of the barrel at that point and have it installed like a factory remington. Will this work?

Any and all comments welcome.

Re: 7mm WSM action question

If you have a large shank barrel and a small shank receiver, the barrel nut is just part of the problem. The diameter of the large shank is too large for the small shank receiver. I have had two large shank WSM barrels turned down and re-threaded to fit in the small shank receivers. Took less than half-an-hour and cost me about $25. To me it is better than doing a Remington style because the barrel nut makes switching and head spacing much easier.

Basic Member

So are you saying I can use a small shank for the 7mm WSM. If so, I was under the impression that I needed the large shank barrel/receiver for a WSM.

Savage made some small shank WSM rifles at first and then went to the large shank. However, there are two ways to look at the large shank. First, if you take of material from the receiver to accommodate the large shank barrel you have more metal on the barrel but less on the receiver. I don't know whether that is good, bad or makes no difference. Second, if you take off material from a large shank to fit in the thicker, small shank receiver you have just done the opposite. I guess it's a personal decision. I have never heard of problems in either kind of setup. I think most people trade a small shank for a large shank receiver or have the large shank turned down. Course if you order a barrel in WSM they will make it in either small or large shank.

Basic Member

wbm:
    I did the same thing with a 243 to 300 WSM conversion. I bought new mag box/follower but can't get it to feed. I can't even get it to LOAD!!! Seems the receiver is scrunching the mag box and a WSM case will not fit into the opening (width wise).
    Do you know how to fix this??

Is it a center feed or stagger feed magazine?

I've built several long action small shank WSM's. On staggerfeed and centerfeeds. The centerfeed feeds flawless through the long action dbm. The staggerfeed blind mag feeds fine too.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

The 243 receiver was a stagger feed. I think the mag box is for a centerfeed. My other WSM is a centerfeed and the mag box looks identical.
    Any pointers on how to get this rifle up and running would be greatly appriciated 8)