Thread: Axis chamber

Basic Member

Axis chamber

My Axis has what I believe is a very long chamber. On the Remington, a case that measures 1.457" on the Hornady case length gauge will not chamber. On the Axis I don't know what the limit is but a case that measures 1.4615 with the same gauge chambers easily. According to that guy on youtube (his name is Eric something) it is desirable to keep about a .002" clearance between the bolt and cartridge. The way I am doing it now is keep two separate case lots, one for the Remington and one for the Axis. This is kind of a pain and if you have to actually full length resize you have to readjust your dies for each rifle. Would it be worthwhile to tighten the Axis up to match the Remington?

It seems to shoot pretty good though and I believe it is getting better as more rounds go through it. It is easily a 1/2" rifle and I just shot a 3/8" with it so no real complaints on accuracy.

Basic Member
    How about a second set of dies?
    Otherwise a thin spacer under the die might work.
    Sorta like useing a 38 special pistiol die for a 357.

Basic Member
    I guess that would work but it would be nice to be able to make a batch of bullets and use them in either gun and not have to keep track of them separately. I figured you could just loosen the barrel nut and crank it down until you got the desired clearance but that might not be as simple as it sounds. I also don't have any tools to do it with properly. Maybe it doesn't even make much difference like the bullet being so close to the lands as I have found out, at least with what I have been shooting so far. It does look like it would be desirable to get a very close clearance but I could be wasting my time too.

In my opinion it only makes sense to make your brass fit all of your rifles with one setup. However the chambers will not be matching, only the base to shoulder length. It is good to do this as you don't need to adjust your dies. Not discounting yobucks solution as it does work and there are plenty of guys doing it. Unless they have Savages then it is only if you don't have the tools to set headspace. Personally I would still try to keep it within the go and no go ranges if possible. It gets tricky to keep dimensions that close without having a barrel vice, a nut wrench and an action wrench.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

According to that guy on youtube (his name is Eric something)
    Just getting my first post in. I believe his name is Eric Cortina. Has lots of interesting videos.

Basic Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Yes, his name is Eric Cortina and he does have a lot of good videos as do a couple of other F class shooters. Lots of information in there.

He is the same in person as he is on the vid's. Usually too busy to BS with though.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Yeah. He has what, two businesses and he competes at the top levels.