Thread: Savage model 16 270 WSM to 284

Team Savage

Savage model 16 270 WSM to 284

Thinking of turning the 16 into a 284. I assume the 284 will feed in the short action. Speak up if you think I'm wrong. Seen a deal on a 284 barrel that is large shank. Google sites say the WSM savages are large shank receivers. How can you tell if you have a small or large shank action?
    Thanks.

Large shank actions have a shorter barrel nut than the standard action. Large shank barrel has a stepped area near the chamber that is not present on a standard action barrel. You might get away with just changing the barrel and bolt head, 284 brass may feed from the current magazine. I'm sure someone with a bit more knowledge will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Banned

To add to the confusion is you have a bolt that has a different length bolt head and firing pin. It is not as easy as swapping bolt heads and setting firing pin protrusion.

Centerfeed pin is 1/8'' longer than standard
    Staggerfeed pin is 1/16" longer than standard

If it is a staggerfeed with control round feed bolthead you have a special machined action with a provision for the standing ejector.

The best option is to swap complete bolts with someone who needs what you have. I could help you out if you want a trade.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    Thanks Robinhood. I see what you mean. That is the bolt I have except your pic doesn't have the claw on the right side to grab the case rim. My 16 is a center feed. I definitely have a large shank receiver. The 284 is very similar in COL to the 270 wsm. I ran a couple 284s thru the wsm and it appears to work. I can buy the large shank barrel and get it installed...........so I'm interested in anything you might have to trade/sell to get a working bolt.
    Thanks.

If your claw is oriented different than the one in the picture(the ejector is different) Then you have a left hand gun and I can't help you.

If it is in the same location I can help unless someone beats me to it. I will have to look to see what I have available but the firing pin and the bolt head are the main differences. A complete bolt swap minus the bolt handle is way to go. If your finish is the same then the bolt handle is not as critical.

Team Savage
    It is a right handed gun. Let me know what you have. I'm willing to trade.

You said you had a center feed. So I assumed(yeah, I know) that you had the longer Short Action Magnum push feed BH. The one you show is control round feed bolthead and was common on the staggerfeed actions. It has a standing ejector that is attached via the trigger hanger pin with a special provision machined into the action. I was not aware that they used your combination. It has a round back so I am learning something here. Must be something from the early 2000's. 2003?

This really doesn't matter for you since you are going to a push feed style BH, but the parts are worthless for someone who does not have that particular action that takes the CR ejector. So a trade is out for me, I have two already and only one of those types of actions.

I have a stripped bolt head that has been trued. As for the firing pin, after doing some comparing and measuring i am sure firing pin length you have will work.....contingent on it being a small pin. Otherwise we will have to find the appropriate drill bit to open the hole. You will need all of the ejector and extractor parts as I am all out of those parts.

If you can tell me the diameter of the firing pin We can determine if we need to drill this one out. This Bolt head has a small pin hole and I am almost certain yours is a large pin.

The firing pin you have is only a 16th longer/different than the one for the standard size BH. When you set the firing pin protrusion you will basically rotate the firing pin spring stop 1.5 +or- .25 turns if my math is reliable.

Let me know. You can PM me if you want.

You can also purchase this part and drill it out yourself. I have given you all the info you need to make it work. I would not drill it out more than .002 larger than the pin to start with.
    Gun Shack Bolt Head

Banned
    I have a stock 10 308 bolt head you can have, if you want.. Been sitting in one of my parts drawers for a few years now. Happy to give it to a member who needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I have a stock 10 308 bolt head you can have, if you want.. Been sitting in one of my parts drawers for a few years now. Happy to give it to a member who needs it.

You can't beat that!

Team Savage
    We, wife and I, have 2 WSM rifles. One is a 300 model 11 purchased in 2001. Left hand action/bolt. it is my rifle. The other is the 270, model 16, right handed. Not sure how old it is; s/n G485755. Stainless action and barrel.
    Spent some more time with rifles last night. I was wrong about the center feed. The 270, as the LH 300 are stagger feed. Here are a couple pics of the bolts:

The left hand bolt is on the left, the 270 bolt with a slightly longer bolt head is on the right.

Here are the bolt faces:

The 270 bolt is on the left and appears to have a smaller firing pin hole.

If that stock 308 head would work on the 270wsm bolt and in the action I'll take it. Hopefully the pics are enough to answer that question.

As a side note, my goal with this 270wsm to 284 change is to have a rifle with somewhat less kick than the wsm. I'm thinking that goal may not be noticeably achievable but We will worry about that after we get a workable 284 rifle.
    Thanks to all.

I would take Dave up on his offer. Set the firing pin protrusion at .035" to .045" by turning the firing pin stop. Test for function.

You will need to adjust the cocking piece also. The same amount as the pin stop on the other end probably. (it has been a very long time...) There is a correct process for that too. I adjust mine to where when the bolt is assembled the cocking piece pin is near or very close to the bottom of the cocking ramp but not touching the bottom. Within .020". You will probably end up very close to th exact same length of assemble spring length so measure that if you have calipers.

If the bolt lift effort increased after the swap you will need to buy a standard 308 firing pin assembly.

If you were using the other rifle/bolthead I don't think the firing pin would work.

Good luck and come back and tell us how it turned out.

Team Savage
    Just to add my .02 - the Savage short action is dandy for the .284 Win. I built one on a long action and then realized I didn't need the long action because all my loads were a hair under 3.00" and you can fit that into a Savage short action. So I sold the rifle, bought a short action LW Storm, and am having another .284 Win barrel made for it.

Most other manufacturers short actions are limited to 2.80" which I wouldn't use for a .284, but with Savage's 3.00" mag box, it's a great fit for the cartridge.