Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage110 fp 223

Not bouncing just loose . I tightened it up and it dont move anymore. Was wondering if it being loose would cause the primers to back out . After being fired the primer sits proud. Does not do that in my ar. Same batch of ammo . Once fired 223 s&b srp 24grs varget rmr 55gr fmjbt. Still cant get pictures to post haven't used a hosting site before. Thanks

Basic Member
    If Your Bolt Assembly Screw was loose, it’s good You got that tightened up.

Proud primers can can come from excessive Head Space, or thin primers bleeding back into the firing pin hole. I have had this situation bad enough with CCI 400 primers that a spent case would not go into the shell holder. My bolts are now Bushed with the firing pin turned to match. No more off center strikes, no more primer bleed, no more Fail to Fire with Small Rifle Primers.

Its not primer bleed the whole primer is proud. Tried to upgrade to paid so I could post pictures but I don't do PayPal

Basic Member
    Your description is adequate without pictures. If Your Bolt Assembly Screw (BAS) was loose, I guess it could cause Your problem, don’t know, I’ve never seen it before. But it’s almost positive, for what ever reason, You have too much Head Space.

Basic Member
    As far as the Bolt Bounce issue is concerned, I wonder if it occurs “after” the firing pin contacts the primer, or in the case of an empty chamber, the firing pin hits its stop. This could explain why it doesn’t detract from Savage accuracy?

Or maybe it “only” occurs when dry firing.

I just know I’m not paying attention to it when I’m shooting a relay.

Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    As far as the Bolt Bounce issue is concerned, I wonder if it occurs “after” the firing pin contacts the primer, or in the case of an empty chamber, the firing pin hits its stop. This could explain why it doesn’t detract from Savage accuracy?

Or maybe it “only” occurs when dry firing.

I just know I’m not paying attention to it when I’m shooting a relay.
    Also when I spoke about "Bounce" I neglected to mention any upwards movement of bolt body. I described rotational movement causes.

I have only noticed it when dry firing also...for reason you mentioned there is a difference in the way energy is applied to the bolt assembly. That could cause the bolt to move up and down in the raceway. Im not sure I buy into that causing the rotional/bolt handle movement. Again that is my opinion. There is only so much that can cause it and I think between the two of us we have covered it. I don't know what to think about a loose BAS.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    I could be wrong, but it seems slight bolt bounce with Savage is not a big deal because of the floating bolt head. It’s no secret that the factory bolt body has quite a bit of play in the Action. I don’t know.... just how I’m seeing it through it’s function.

To the OP: look at my answer in post #21. It’s very easy to Third party host. It’s actually beneficial to the Admin., (Jim Baker) as it doesn’t use their Server’s memory.

Just the bolt handle was moving you could move it up and down and front to back. Tightened up the bolt screw and it dont move. Was just wondering if that would allow the bolt to move back upon firing. Picked up a case gauge yesterday. Brass is sized to spec . Don't know if I want to get a set of go no go gauges and try to fix it myself or take it to a gunsmith.

Banned
    Just get a "Go" gauge. No reason for a "No Go". Piece of take works just fine. Or I can even make you up a headspacing shim. .002", .003"...whatever headspace you wanted. I use a .0025" on mine.

Basic Member
    Take it to a Gunsmith.

Banned
    Is this factory ammo the primers are doing this with? And, is this happening with every shot or did just a few exhibit this condition? If this is the norm now with factory ammo(not your or another's reloads) & you are not confident in isolating & correcting the cause, the smart option is to take it to a gunsmith.

Not factory ammo my reload's. Have measured brass from both rifles the savage and the ar. The brass from both rifles is within. 001 to .002 of each other . The only difference is the brass from the savage the primer sits proud. 010 to .015 on all 50 rounds of mixed headstamp 223 once fired brass. Not worried about setting headspace just wondering why the primers are sitting proud. Still haven't figured out how to post pictures from a third party host might have better luck from a laptop. But at 100 yards you can cover a five shot group with a quarter.

Banned
    Well, if it's happening with these, but not factory ammo, the problem is your reloaded rounds. Does not matter that it doesn't happen in your AR. Your AR uses a 5.56 chamber. The 110 is a 223 chamber.

Excessive headspace, underpressure loads, loose primer pockets or not being fully seated from the start known causes. Perhaps the shoulders are bumped back too much...perhaps they are cut too short....or THAT SPECIFIC CHAMBER in your 110. If I had your rifle and the cases, I could narrow down the exact "WHY". If you are reloading you should be able to as well.

Don't have any factory ammo but will pick up a box when I can I work 12 days on 2 off. Don't think its under pressure loads 24grs of varget is a compressed load. Have shot these loads in another ar and a couple of bolt guns with no problems. So I'm pretty sure its this rifle was just wondering what to look for as far as worn spots or other issues that other members that have these rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Hnusz View Post
    Don't have any factory ammo but will pick up a box when I can I work 12 days on 2 off. Don't think its under pressure loads 24grs of varget is a compressed load. Have shot these loads in another ar and a couple of bolt guns with no problems. So I'm pretty sure its this rifle was just wondering what to look for as far as worn spots or other issues that other members that have these rifles.
    Must work In golf.. quit now

There is life to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No golf not my thing unless I'm shooting them. I'm a machinist in a plastic factory. I make all of the tooling between new customers and new machines I'm busy all the time . The up side is they are getting me new lathes and mills and moving me to a new building.

Finally got to the range got a couple of factory rounds from a buddy at work. Fired them no proud primers. They sit in a hornady case gauge between minimum and maximum the same as my reload's. Reload's and factory rounds were both 55gr fmjbt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12