Thread: Savage110 fp 223

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Savage110 fp 223

Hello I have purchased a savage 110fp in 223. This rifle was previously owned by a LEO that was supposed to be a very good shot. He passed several years ago I bought it from the person that bought it from his wife. It has a F prefix and is a later model. As far as I know it's not been worked on . It has a warne 20moa steel rail on it . I'm not sure of the twist rate there is nothing on the rifle. It still has the factory stock on it not really a fan of it but if it shoots as good as my friend says I can probably get used to it. What would be a good bullet to start working up loads with. I have 55gr fmjbt 40gr fbhp 50gr wsp and 88gr eld match for powders I have varget IMR4895 IMR4064 CFE223 . Thanks

Basic Member
    If it is the FP/FP-SR in 223, then it should have a 1-9 twist. 55gr is probably the minimum bullet weight you should ideally Reloder with it. The 1-9 twist is supposed to shine with 62-70gr bullet weights, and probably a little heavier doesn’t hurt; say 75 Hornady BTHP or a 77 SMK.

Depending on age of the rifle, it may be in an Accustock; either way HS-Precision does offer aftermarket stocks for the 10/12 series with top bolt release. Available on Optics Planet.

Good luck!

Isaac

God, Gold, & Glory... Just not in that order

Banned
    It’s a 1:9 twist. Little slow for best results with the 88’s, but will still shoot them ok. Everything else will work fine. No way to say for certain, but I’d wager you’ll likely find best results in the 75/77 grain territory. All the powders will work. CFE223 is a top choice. I like it almost as much as BLC-2. They are almost identical in burn rate..only the slower side. While 4895 & 4064 are a little faster. (Better for the lighter pills). They are close burn rate to the AA2495 I just picked up.

Experiment with them all. Certainly enough to keep you busy for awhile. I’m a huge fan of 223/556...although not bolt guns. The AR15 is my favorite firearm. Never owned anything except my own “assembled” ARs, and actually been building them with 80% Receivers for several years now. Sorry for the tangent...

Anyway, I am quite fond of 223, like I said. Looking forward to seeing your results.

EDIT: LOL! Isaac posted right before me. But you see our posts are quite similar. Good stuff!

Basic Member
    I have been playing with a Model 10 in 223 with a 22" barrel with 1:9 twist. The little bit I played with 55gr bullets was a bit disappointing but maybe I just didn't get them going fast enough. I have been using 62gr Hornady FMJBT and RMR 69gr HPBT. Have gone thru a lb of Varget and didn't find a nice load until I was near max with either of the bullets. Have used BL-C2 and need to try more loads. Basically my loads have all been revolving around Ramshot TAC and Benchmark with the edge starting to lean towards Benchmark.

I did try some 75gr ELD and couldn't get them to stabilize.

I have had my best results with 53 gr SMK's over h322. I would concentrate on the CFE223. Also the 69 gr. MK

Banned
    This is what I love about 223. The vast differences in loading habit. Few calibers show this versatility with powders. KMW likes Benchmark... Chood likes H322. And I’m a fan of BLC-2/CFE223. Look at those powders on the burn rate chart. The difference is eye opening.

Basic Member
    Varget or IMR4166. 69 or 77gn SMK (TMK's are supposed to be a little better). Just a little below max in the Sierra book. 23.5gn Varget for the 77SMK is my load (Rem or CCI BR primers), 2850fps, 22" barrel, solid 1/2MOA even with me shooting :)

The .223 is very forgiving if all you need is MOA. Even the budget Hornady 55gn FMJBT (used to be $11/100) will do 1MOA. If you want better it takes some searching and tweaking loads. Powders the same. I settled on the heavier SMK's because I like to shoot at longer ranges, 500 and 600yd. Varget and 4166 because of temperature stability.

Nosler 69/77gn match and Hornady 75ELD match were pretty good as well, very close to the SMK's. The Hornady 68 HPBT match bullets were as bad as the cheap 55gn bullets.

PS if you try the 88gn bullets let us know how they do. According to Sierra the 77gn is at the upper end for stability with 1-9 twist.

I like peanut butter and jelly’s.

But weird bread and almond butter isn’t cutting it.

US special folks people use the match king for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I used the same load for the 77SMK with the 75ELD-M. Did not have a chronograph back then so not sure of velocity. Since the 77gn comes out at 2850 then I suspect the Hornady would be close or slightly more than that.

The link on this site has the date of manufacture between 11/95 and 11/01 don't know if it has the accustock. Will try the 55gr first have a load for my ar. Shooting golf balls at 100 yards is relaxing. Will need to get a scope and bipod . Took the scope off the ar it sits to high got about a quarter inch of clearance between it and the bolt handle. Will try an find some 62 to 70gr to try .

Banned
    Yeah, truth is there are Sierra Match Kings.....and then everything else! Sierra kinda broke the mold.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yeah, truth is there are Sierra Match Kings.....and then everything else! Sierra kinda broke the mold.
    Seems the guys shooting 300yd Bench all lean towards a Yellow Box with a B. and hardly touch the Green Box. Though for me I'm shooting a lot of 69gr RMR HPBT.