Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedding compound

Basic Member

Bedding compound

I am going to bed the action on my 116 with devcon, I hear it's good stuff. Is this the stuff? http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=970250

A store in town has the 2oz stuff if it is. I don't think I would need a whole pound for one stock. If the 2oz stuff is the same as this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=647161

I will just pick it up here.

Also, my 116 has a detachable box mag, is there anything special that I need to do bedding wise with/for it, or anything to watch for?

Thanks

glockeyed

Re: Bedding compound

not trying to hijack, but i was wondering if this would work.
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=51585993403

I've used the 2 oz Devcon on a number of bedding jobs with good results. Yes, it's a little runny when first mixed but, if you let it sit for about 15-20 minutes it will be more like putty and easier to work with. I get it locally at a building supply/hardware store. For whatever reason, the local Lowe's and Home Depot doesn't carry it.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage

Has anybody used the stuff from Ace the Glockeye asked about? I have looked at it but think it might be runny and hard to work with. I just never see Devcon Plastic Steel 10110 in our local hardware stores.

The stuff from ACE looks just like the Devcon Plastic Steel putty in the 2 ounce tubes, just a bit more of it in the syringe.

Basic Member

Well, I just got finished bedding my 116 with synthetic stock. I hope I have not screwed anything up. I have read and read but it's scary the first time. :)

Did the bedding turn out ok?

Basic Member

Looks decent, I had one spot that stuck to the action and it tore loose. I thought great I am going to have to grind that off now, I touched it with my finger and it dropped. I am going to rework that small area and put it back in, but so far so good.

Good to hear.The minor tearout will be a simple fix. If you have very small voids, they can be ignored.

BillPa

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat 74
    Looks decent, I had one spot that stuck to the action and it tore loose.
    Next time forget the thing even exists for a few days regardless what the instructions say the curing time is. I never take one apart in less than three days. It may be "workable", but not fully cured depending on the temperature of the parts, the goop and how thick or thin it was applied. The longer its allowed to cure the easier it will be to take apart.

Another "Trick". If you have some excess goop left over from the bedding job stick it in a freezer before it starts to set. It can be allowed to warm and reused for a few days or even weeks.

Bill

Good info, thanks Bill

Basic Member

Bill, I would have loved to have waited but I was so nervous with it being my first bedding job I was ready to pull it and check it out after about 15mins.

I took her shooting today, at first there wasn't a whole lot of improvement, better not but ground breaking. I went back and loaded up a charge that showed promise before bedding. I was rewarded with a .657" group at 130yds. The group was fired prone with bags in 10-12mph winds at 38 degree temps. This load was 2" before bedding.

SAVAGE SHOOTERS RULES!!!

I read all the posts I could on bedding. Lion's was very informative, as was Bedding 101 and then I got a lot of help from L.H. Clark.

59.0grs H4831
    CCI200
    WW Cases
    180gr NBT
    3.325" OAL

[img width=553 height=450]http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss29/Tom_Foolery_74/P1010765.jpg[/img]

BillPa

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat 74
    Bill, I would have loved to have waited but I was so nervous with it being my first bedding job I was ready to pull it and check it out after about 15mins.
    You did a lot better than I did on my first one about 30 or so years ago. I speak from first hand experience when I say "release agent is required"! ;D

longpoker

I have used several types over the years. I,m now using J.B.Weld Regular. It work better than Devcon or steel bed. I use shoe wax for a release agent. Cleans up easy,just use masking tape where you don,t want it to go.

Basic Member

I used Hornady One Shot for relase agent and lots of blue tape. My action and barrel looked like it was turning into a Smurf.

ultramag44

shoe wax works great, but " 'Da Bomb" in release agents is Sno-Seal! It's totally off the hook, best I've ever used.

Never heard of it, where's the best placed to get it?

as in shoe water sealer?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

bbradford71

that should work well! thick enough you could fill a lot of the voids in the nut.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Now to order some, thanks.

barthmonster

I'm planning on my first bedding job soon (normal 1st time, then pillar for my Remmy)

Going to use the Neutral Shoe Polish for release, and this for bedding:

http://www.scorehi.com/epoxy-pillar.htm

Wish me luck..!

You got it, keep us informed of your progress.

Banned

i use pam and the devcon is great they have fast dry and slow i like the slow better theres a vid on youtube a guy will take you through the whole process

rogn

Marine tex is used commonly with good results as is PC-7 or JB weld. Johnson pastewax will give you a perfect negative cast of your action and is good for waxing the stock and metal work for everyday protection. Bisonite is still my favorite, Brownells still carries I beleive. Google says championshooters .com is source. As a note the stell containing epoxies ahve shown some tendency in the past to cause hidden rusting whereas the aluminum products did not. Devcon also comes in aluminum based form and in 2 consistencies, one a paste the other a flowable for casting or precision resurfacing a"rough bedding" job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast