Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Out My Savage 111 Barrel for an Aftermarket Shaw 35 Whelen

Changing Out My Savage 111 Barrel for an Aftermarket Shaw 35 Whelen

Hello all!

This is my first time posting on the forum, but I’m not new to Savage rifles.

I want to change out the .270 Win barrel and turn it into a .35 Whelen or to a .338-06!

I’m wondering if anyone else has done the same thing?

Plus, which cartridge would you choose?

Both are pretty much a hand loaders dream.

Plus, I know they’re both pretty equal when it comes to range of game they can take, using the same bullet weights.
    Anyways, I would like to hear your opinions, and expertise.

Hawk

Basic Member
    I like the 338-06 and it is a pretty good hunting round. Bullets from 160 to 210 grain are good for most game and if you need a little more then you can shoot some 250,s but they tend to be a bit harsh on the shoulder.
    The down side is that most bullets are designed for either the 338 WM or 338 Lapua so you have to be selective when picking components.

Banned
    270Win will take any game 338/358-06 will. Why so eager to swap? I wouldn’t really label either one a “reloader’s dream”. Especially not the Whelen with it’s .358 pills with their abysmal BC’s...some in the .200’s! If a gun was was put to my head to choose(no pun intended..oh, well, maybe it was), I’d go with the 338-06. Still get the extra energy for the make believe “knock down power”, but higher velocity, BC and range as well. Not to mention better accuracy.

I converted an Axis 30-06 to 35 Whelen and took it to Alaska black bear hunting. Used a 200 grain Nosler Accubond. Shot a bear, it turned upside down in its tracks and was dead. I reloaded with IMR8028 and got about 2850 fps at muzzel. It was very accurate. I used the Shaw barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    270Win will take any game 338/358-06 will. Why so eager to swap? I wouldn’t really label either one a “reloader’s dream”. Especially not the Whelen with it’s .358 pills with their abysmal BC’s...some in the .200’s! If a gun was was put to my head to choose(no pun intended..oh, well, maybe it was), I’d go with the 338-06. Still get the extra energy for the make believe “knock down power”, but higher velocity, BC and range as well. Not to mention better accuracy.
    Well....the main reason I want to switch the .270 to .338-06 or .35 Whelen is because I already have a
    .30-06, and a 6.5x55, and don't need the .270. With the .338-06 & the .35 Whelen, you have a lot of "AUTHORITY" when you're hunting elk, black bear, and moose.
    That's what I like about those cartridges. One shot and done, DRT.
    Not so much with a .270 Win.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry O View Post
    I converted an Axis 30-06 to 35 Whelen and took it to Alaska black bear hunting. Used a 200 grain Nosler Accubond. Shot a bear, it turned upside down in its tracks and was dead. I reloaded with IMR8028 and got about 2850 fps at muzzel. It was very accurate. I used the Shaw barrel.
    SEE! That is what I'm talking about right there!

Hawk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyesatx823 View Post
    Well....the main reason I want to switch the .270 to .338-06 or .35 Whelen is because I already have a
    .30-06, and a 6.5x55, and don't need the .270. With the .338-06 & the .35 Whelen, you have a lot of "AUTHORITY" when you're hunting elk, black bear, and moose.
    That's what I like about those cartridges. One shot and done, DRT.
    Not so much with a .270 Win.

Hawk

I hear ya. Differing opinions out there of course. Hundreds of accounts & videos on YouTube of hunters taking big elk with 270. A good video talking about it, and funny enough, states how a bad shot with a 338 or 375 is still a bad shot. Where as a perfect shot with a 243 will put the elk down. That said, I’m a fan of more powerful for large game like elk. Though, by MORE power, I’m talking about a Magnum. I’m not a believer of “SHOCKING” the animal to death with Ft.Lbs. & the Hydrostatic SHOCK myth! I am, however, a believer in Sectional Density.

Id still say 338-06. Many more options of higher bc bullets. Not really big on so & so guy giving this or that story on his caliber choice. They ALL kill. Ballistic are the evidence we use. Not stories. Another thing, almost everyone I know that have taken elk, took fairly long range shots. A couple at 400yds+. The 35 Whelen loses steam real fast(for those who buy into the Energy “knock down” power thing). Just plug it into your ballistics calculator. The Whelen with 200gr Accubond against the 270 Winchester & 140gr Accubond, the 270 shaves off a THIRD of that energy deficit in the first 100yds. And then catches up & passes the 35 completely in energy by 500yds. Now I’m not using that to say it’s ok to take a 500yd shot with a 270.... Just that ballistics show the 35 Whelen only has a real energy edge for about 100yds or so.

Basic Member
    Depends on where you hunt elk. Shot a few in past years. .50 cal muzzleloader. Longest shot was 150yd. Others were less than 100yd.

Banned
    Yes, I do know that Charlie....thank you for catching for clarification. Sorry, didn’t mean to make it sound like ALL elk shots are many hundreds of yards distance.

Honestly, I just really enjoy Caliber Choice* & Ballistics* conversations. That “Thing” which drives each of us to our caliber/cartridge fondness, I just find fascinating.

Basic Member
    I have done two 35 whelens. Used Shaw barrels both times no issues and very easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yes, I do know that Charlie....thank you for catching for clarification. Sorry, didn’t mean to make it sound like ALL elk shots are many hundreds of yards distance.

Honestly, I just really enjoy Caliber Choice* & Ballistics* conversations. That “Thing” which drives each of us to our caliber/cartridge fondness, I just find fascinating.
    Me too.

Basic Member
    Heck, if 'we' didn't enjoy the cartridge combinations we probably would not own Savage rifles :)

Being able to get a 'plug and play' barrel from places like Shilen and Krieger is just wonderful.

Why do others stick their noses up when someone mentions Savage 110/111 rifles?

My first high powered rifle was the Savage 110GXP3 combo in 7mm REM Mag. I loved that rifle. It wasn’t flashy and shiny, but I didn’t want that, and I still don’t.
    It did it’s job admirably, and the informal shooting competitions I had with my buddies, it and I won more bets than I can remember, even when I let my friends borrow it to just play around with. They all knew it was hyper-accurate.
    Man! I hated letting that rifle go, since I was in dire needs to pay for a divorce lawyer.
    If Savage would make one of their new rifles in .338-06 or .35 Whelen, I’d jump all over it and buy it in a New York minute.
    I’m happier than a pig in slop that I can swap a barrel out.
    If I knew then what I know now, I’d have found a way to keep my first Savage, and just swap the barrels out.

Hawk

Basic Member
    My first savage build was a 338-06. I took a new Steven's m200 and made the swap. Only problem I have with it is I went with a 25" barrel. I plan on eventually having it cut down to 20", it will lighten it a bit and make it more handy for the woods. I usually grab a shorter 338 federal or 308 for woods hunting, but wouldn't mind the 338-06 if it were handier.

I load mainly 200gr bullets in it, between the Fusion, and nosler Ballistic Tip or Accubond. I really enjoy the rifle and wouldn't think twice about using it on a moose. I have better rifles for elk.

Team Savage
    I put a er shaw 35 Whelen barrel in stainless on my 110. I also have an 358 Win shaw barrel that was cut down to 20" on another Savage. The shorter barrel does help for hiking through the woods.

Basic Member
    Put a Shaw 35 Whelen barrel on my 110 receiver for the chassis build. I haven’t had a chance to really exercise it yet. Easy build as usual, a bit front heavy with the magnum contour barrel.

With the magnum contour barrel, I plan on putting some weight in the stock to kinda balance the rifle out.

I do look forward to changing the barrel out, and having essentially a whole new rifle.

Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by LLOYD17 View Post
    Put a Shaw 35 Whelen barrel on my 110 receiver for the chassis build. I haven’t had a chance to really exercise it yet. Easy build as usual, a bit front heavy with the magnum contour barrel.

Yeah, you kind of need the chassis with a longer forearm.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    Swapped an 06 barrel for a 338-06 a couple years ago. 1980s 110C. does well but kicks hard!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Swapped an 06 barrel for a 338-06 a couple years ago. 1980s 110C. does well but kicks hard!
    That’s awesome!

How well does it do on big game?

I had a Savage 110gpx3 combo in 7mm Mag, and that kicked quite a bit. It just had the plain plastic butt plate, with the hardwood walnut stain stock.

Hawk

I finally got the chance to order my barrel change kit to make my Savage 111 into a 35 Whelen!

It’ll be here just before my birthday!!

I’m SO pumped!!!

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of Shank does an old Savage 111 30-06 have on the barrel?

I have found a place that has 2 more older Savage 111's, pre accutrigger, going for really decent prices.

Also, would a 35 Whelen go guage and no-go guage work in a .338-06 barrel?

Would they also work in a 9.3x62 barrel?

Just curious.

Hawk

Basic Member
    This should help you with shank size and ID.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...el-Shank-Sizes

Basic Member
    35 Whelen, 25-06, 338-06 and many other cartridge based the 30-06 will use the same Go and NoGo gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    This should help you with shank size and ID.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...el-Shank-Sizes
    Thank you! That did help out a lot!

Hawk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast