Thread: Stock re-assembly problem--help needed

Basic Member

Stock re-assembly problem--help needed

I'm unable to get the stock back on my model 16 Weather Warrior. The problem is that the trigger guard bolt release won't move back far enuf to let me get to the rear screw to tighten it when the action is placed in the stock. If I remove the trigger guard assembly so that I can drop the screw in, then I can't get the trigger guard assembly properly back into the stock? I notice that there is a hair pin type spring that is kinda sticking outta the one side of the front of the trigger. Is that normal? what do I do now? This shouldn't be rocket science just to get a stock back into a rifle, but it sure seems like it to me!

When you have the bits together you want to make sure the little tab slides into the recess cut on the base. The bolt release should slide back far enough to clear the screw head recess.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Savage-Trigger-Guard-Metal-SS-Bottom-Bolt-Release-_57.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	8088
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Team Savage

I'm meeting Shuz this afternoon to help resolve this.

Banned
    Post up when it’s done. A picture might would us....I’m having trouble visualizing exactly what’s happening.

Awesome Phil. The world needs more guys like you!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Indeed...

Phil gets the "Good Neighbor" trophy.

There is hope for the world.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Team Savage

I forgot to bring my camera so no pics. Was a combination of the bottom bolt release plunger, pulling trigger and holding in position while attempting to place the rear action screw in position and tighten. Shuz has some physical challenges that made it almost impossible for him to do, but we got 'er done.

I'll see Shuz again today for the local CBA shoot. Had hoped to compete but the load test in my 6.5CM was a dismal failure Thursday so I'll be a looky-loo, hump targets, help score, whatever.

RH your inbox is full.

Basic Member
    Yep, Phil was the third hand needed to get this puppy back together. Trigger pull tested by Phil and I registered 16oz. That weight turned out to be too light because the trigger safety kept engaging, not allowing the rifle to fire for most of the match without me re-cycling the bolt many times. Finaly when we got to the score portion of the match, the trigger would not "set" properly, engaging the trigger safety every time I closed thew bolt. Looks like I can look forward to taking this action out of the stock and setting the trigger up a few ounces. Hopefully I can get the action back in the stock, if I can borrow a third hand!
    I am sure thankful for the help from Phil!

Team Savage

My pleasure, call anytime!

Banned
    Shuz, I’m curious as to your physical challenge? Most people here know I’m a member of that “club” myself. Too my knowledge, I’m still the ONLY Gunsmith/builder & Custom Knifemaker in the country with use of One Arm/Hand. But I do understand certain limitations as being paralyzed is only part of my being disabled...very small part in fact. Just curious...if it’s a topic you’d rather not speak on, I understand, and apologize. I’m just pretty “open book” with this stuff.

Basic Member
    CBA as in cast bullets? Near and dear to my heart. What caliber/bullets?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Shuz, I’m curious as to your physical challenge? Most people here know I’m a member of that “club” myself. Too my knowledge, I’m still the ONLY Gunsmith/builder & Custom Knifemaker in the country with use of One Arm/Hand. But I do understand certain limitations as being paralyzed is only part of my being disabled...very small part in fact. Just curious...if it’s a topic you’d rather not speak on, I understand, and apologize. I’m just pretty “open book” with this stuff.
    Dave--I've been dealing with idiopathic neuropathy for about ten years now(I'm 80). I've lost all feeling in my feet and hands so it makes it difficult for me to do many things. I've had to quit hunting big game as I can no longer walk very far without my legs just giving out. I'm really having a hard time with the Accu-trigger because of it's sensitivity to sideward pressure. I have to use the "crook" of my index finger to fire my rifles because I can't feel the blade and trigger like most folks. But, hey, I'm blessed cause there are many like yourself who don't have good use of all of their limbs.

I did take the action out and adjust the trigger pull to 22 ounces according to my RCBS spring gauge, and I was able to get it back into the stock by myself!!
    We'll see if that holds up now.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    CBA as in cast bullets? Near and dear to my heart. What caliber/bullets?
    Charlie--I enjoy the special challenge of shooting my Savage 16 in .250 Savage in our local CBA registered matches in Spokane Wa. This past Saturday I shot 4/ea 5shot groups at 100 yards of 1.5", 1.25", 1,75", and 1.563". This was a 4 group agg of 1.547" and was good enuf to win the Hunter Class 5 shot group. For the 10 shot group agg I shot a 2.125" and a 4.75" group. I had 1 boolit that dropped way low for some reason and gave me the 4.75" group. I came in second with a 3.475 group on that one. I hasten to say it's easy when there was only 2 of us in Hunter class!!!
    The boolit I've been using lately is the RCBS 25-100.

Basic Member
    Outstanding!! Even with just two participants, those are good shooting. 'Watching' the CBA match results site shooting 1.5" on a regular basis is good. Those fliers are pesky little things. I've had many groups 'ruined' by that one bullet that decided to not follow the crowd. :)

I use the .308 12BVSS for all my cast bullet work. Most of the time I am shooting an Accurate 210gn Eagan design. I got the .308 specifically because I wanted to shoot cast and was not confident enough in my casting abilities to go for smaller dia bullets. I have been trying to get up the nerve to do a Postal Match.

I must say that doing all the work to cast and process the bullets, along with the issues of precision shooting, you are doing well indeed. I hope I am still able to do the same at 80 (only 68 now).

Basic Member
    Charlie--Thanks for the kind words--Shuz