Thread: Savage 99PE Presentation Edition, .308

Basic Member

Savage 99PE Presentation Edition, .308

I purchased serial #11738XX new in the 60's, take it out of its protective sock and rifle case every few years, enjoy its incredible beauty, re-Renaissance museum coat it, put it back and wait for my children or grandchildren show an interest in my gun collection....but that has proved negative. Going on 80 now and it is time to sell. This magnificent 99PE has never been shot or seen the light of day except for previously mentioned. Thoughts and ideas of where to sell such a beautiful rifle? Noticed a 99DE edition sold on GunsAmerica and pretty rare to see a PE Presentation edition for sale and once advertised, sells in a few days. This 99PE is as close to magnificent mint new as possible. Lots of photos. Your Thoughts? Thank you.

Gunbroker or the 24hourcampfire.com forum's classifieds would probably be your best bet as many of the serious 99 collectors hang out over their in their Savage Collectors board. Beautiful guns, but after owning a left-hand 110PE in .30-06 I realized I'm not a safe queen/wall-hanger type of gun owner as if I spend the money on something I'm going to use and enjoy it as it was intended to be used.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I’ll put in a vote for Gunbroker, although I’ve only sold a few shooters, nothing high end. Lower fees than GunsAmerica. If it’s something very nice, you might interest one of the big boy auction houses like Rock Island, although I suspect it takes a lot to get their attention. A local auction house that lists with HiBid or Proxibid is another option, if you would rather not deal with packaging and shipping. Good luck! We’d love to see photos!

Basic Member
    Thank you J.Baker and Model 24...appreciate your answers!

Basic Member
    At the major auction house auctions these hammer at $1000-1500 depending on condition and wood figure.
    A fair number were made, few used, rather crude compared to pre war high grade 99s so it's a very niche collectible.
    Decide what you'll take, toss it on gunbroker starting at $1.00 with your minimum goal as a reserve.
    Been there don that many times since GB was founded. Never disappointed.

Basic Member
    you might want to check out Gunsinternational, sellers get higher prices', a lot of buyers are quitting G.B. because of their new policy's