Thread: Oryx 308 Chassis magazine help

Basic Member

Oryx 308 Chassis magazine help

I am a bit confused over which AICS style magazine is best for 308. I have read some Oryx reviews where there were problems with Pmags and that the polymer MDT mags are fairly thick and may not accommodate longer COALs and that they may be a bit tight and not drop free.

I have also been looking at metal AICS options and MDT lists two versions for the 308, one is described as (standard) and the other is described as (no binder plate). Of course there is no description or information to tell me what 'no binder plate' means or what chassis/furniture they would be for.

Any help will be appreciated.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    I am a bit confused over which AICS style magazine is best for 308. I have read some Oryx reviews where there were problems with Pmags and that the polymer MDT mags are fairly thick and may not accommodate longer COALs and that they may be a bit tight and not drop free.

I have also been looking at metal AICS options and MDT lists two versions for the 308, one is described as (standard) and the other is described as (no binder plate). Of course there is no description or information to tell me what 'no binder plate' means or what chassis/furniture they would be for.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Since posting, I did some searches and found an MDI video on YouTube explaining the differences between the standard and no binding plate magazines, (no binding plate is for longer cartridges and actions that have been cut to accept the greater lengths). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Me4M3cQFk

still hoping for some info/experience with polymer magazines fit and function in the oryx short chassis.

Basic Member
    Magpul AICS single stack and MDT metal double stack mags work fine in mine. ARC mags tend to hang up on the last round as the follower catches the lip of the Savage action.

Basic Member
    I have a MDT and an AI mag with a binder plate for my .308 with an Oryx stock.
    I load for jumps of 0.020 or less so the internal mag dimension of the MDT creates a problem for me.
    The internal dimension of the mags are:
    MDT = 2.845 (The mag walls are 0.1 and 0.150 so that is what is using up the available space for added seating depth for longer bullets ).
    AI = 2.905 (the mag walls are 0.040 and 0.123 with the binder plate).

If you are going to be loading 168 or 175 grain SMKs or TMKs, and load to jumps of 0.020 or less, you might want to consider the AI or something with an even greater internal dimension. The AICS mag overall limit is fixed so I needed a mag that used up the minimal amount of internal space.

Basic Member
    I have an MDT 308/6.5 No binder plate, Max COAL is 2.960 ;Never thought i would need it until i tried the 145 Barnes matchburner IN 6.5 Creed which are extremely long and hit the lands at 2.949. You won't need that much in 308 .

Basic Member
    I guess it depends. My rifle likes the 155's. The Bergers and Lapua Scenars are longer than the 175SMKs. The Berger Full Bores load out to 2.975" to touch the lands.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    I have a MDT and an AI mag with a binder plate for my .308 with an Oryx stock.
    I load for jumps of 0.020 or less so the internal mag dimension of the MDT creates a problem for me.
    The internal dimension of the mags are:
    MDT = 2.845 (The mag walls are 0.1 and 0.150 so that is what is using up the available space for added seating depth for longer bullets ).
    AI = 2.905 (the mag walls are 0.040 and 0.123 with the binder plate).

If you are going to be loading 168 or 175 grain SMKs or TMKs, and load to jumps of 0.020 or less, you might want to consider the AI or something with an even greater internal dimension. The AICS mag overall limit is fixed so I needed a mag that used up the minimal amount of internal space.
    Do you happen to know if AI makes a 300WSM AICS magazine?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    Do you happen to know if AI makes a 300WSM AICS magazine?
    these folks seem to have the full line of AI mags, but I do not see the 300W(short)Magnum listed.
    https://www.milehighshooting.com/acc.../ai-magazines/

Banned
    I love my Magpul 10rd AICS mags. I can load to 2.85”, which is just fine.