Thread: How far can I build my 111 FCX?

How far can I build my 111 FCX?

Afternoon, guys. I have a 111 FCX P3 in 30-06 that I've had for a while now and have only swapped out the scope/base, trigger, and added a small bipod for bench and prone shooting. I would like to build it out. I'm thinking caliber swap and modular chassis. Are there any good resources I can read up on to find out what calibers the 30-06 111 action can chamber, and if there are any peculiarities on the 111 that would make it not compatible with normal 10/110 parts?

Right now the plan is to get an XLR Element 4.0 side-folder long action chassis with a Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock and a Nill AR target grip. Haven't decided on a barrel maker yet, but I'd love to step up to 300 WM if the 111 30-06 action can support that OAL. I've done some searching on bolt requirements when changing calibers, but haven't found much of any information, or even been able to find a source to buy Savage bolts. Any info you guys can give or links you can point me to would be seriously appreciated. Thanks!

Basic Member
    When I changed my older staggered feed 110 FLP from 300 WM to 6.5-06, I had to change the bolt head, firing pin, magazine box & follower.
    Check Gun Shack, Midway, or Brownells for parts.

Banned
    That’s actually what I was going to recommend...6.5mm-06. However, if you are set on 300wm, yes...barrel, and bolt head. Don’t need to swap the firing pin. Places list them different ways, but they are the same part. There is a Long Action & Short Action firing pin.

The easiest options are stay with the cartridges in the 30-06 case size and case head. The 6.5-06 is good for reloaders as is the 280 and the 284. The 270 is way underrated due to the once and still moderately limited match/target projectiles. The next step is the magnums requiring more parts replacements.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Thanks guys, this is awesome info. I don't reload yet, and don't have the space or time right now to set up a bench and learn (though it is on the bucket list), so I'm looking to get into an established LR/ELR cartridge with a huge variety of factory match options, which is why I'm leaning 300 WM right now. I was thinking 300 PRC, but it doesn't look like it'll fit in the Savage 30-06 action, and for the price of the Bergara I was looking at buying I could build exactly the platform I'm wanting out of the Savage in 300 WM and have a bit of cash left over to chip in toward better glass.

I saw this on Gun Shack:

https://www.gunshack.com/savage-part...gnum-bolt-head

Would my 30-06 extractor and ejector fit that bolt head? Also the page lists it as a 'small hole firing pin' - is that something I need to worry about, or are all modern Savage 1xx firing pins small-hole?

Also-also, I think I just added a dozen parts to my build just by browsing the Savage Parts page there. Thanks guys. lol That fluted bolt body would look mighty nice in an XLR chassis...

Anything else in the bolt I should replace while I have it apart, just for maintenance? The bolt assembly probably has about 500 rounds of 30-06 through it.

Banned
    Of course your action would fit a 300prc. Only thing that’s an issue might be the mag inlet. But in precision shooting, people single load anyway....as many Savage fans choose the 112 Target Action from the start. (3-screw). Anyway...it would fit if you’d rather go that route.

The Extractor/Ejector is the same among all Actions. Your stock parts will fit another bolt head just fine. And you can upgrade the Extractor bearing ball at the same time.

Banned
    Oh sorry...the firing pin question. I need to correct my first post. The magnums actually used a smaller diameter pin through the cross pin @ .095”. Standard caliber pins are .145”. Ref: https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...ins-Bolt-Faces

This is for older models only. In 2001 ALL were changed to .095”. So just measure your stock parts to find out.

*EDIT* Robin pointed something out to me. I edited so because what was obvious in my head, made it sound incorrectly confusing in reading. I had a word mess not thinking that what is obvious to me, may not be to the reader. Thanks Robin.

Contact XLR Ind. to be sure your rifle, a long action stagger feed, will function in their chassis as a 300 win mag. We know the bolt spacing is correct but the magazine port on the bottom is in a slightly different location than the center feed mag port. The concern being feeding without problem. I think it will work but I would make sure.

I believe both the standard long action bolt head and the Magnum long action bolt head are the same lug length at .500' so your firing pin is good. As Dave said the only thing is the older firing pin may be slightly larger so if you get a new bolt head you may have to drill it slightly oversize. That will require some a drill bit that falls into the letter system. I would measure the portion of the pin that goes through the bolt head. Not the area of the cross pin. Go too large and you start cratering or even piecing the primer. It is better to get factory matching parts. The best idea if your pin does not fit your new bolt head would be to have this guy fix you up. https://deshind.com/ . This is if you pin does not fit your bolt head. Your cross pin should be good if you do not change your cross pin or firing pin.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Thanks everyone, this is great. For now I'm thinking of building this more as a very capable range toy than a serious long-range competition rig, as my opportunities to reach out even much past 400 yards are pretty slim. It'll be special occasions where I'll be able to take this one out and shoot out to even 800-1000 yards. So I'm thinking I'd like to keep the ability to mag-feed, just because I think I'd enjoy that more. Appreciate all the help, there's a wealth of knowledge here. :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lp916 View Post
    Thanks everyone, this is great. For now I'm thinking of building this more as a very capable range toy than a serious long-range competition rig, as my opportunities to reach out even much past 400 yards are pretty slim. It'll be special occasions where I'll be able to take this one out and shoot out to even 800-1000 yards. So I'm thinking I'd like to keep the ability to mag-feed, just because I think I'd enjoy that more. Appreciate all the help, there's a wealth of knowledge here. :)
    There are several ranges in Florida where longer distances are available.
    One is in the Okeechobee area, i believe known by that name.
    The other is on Malabar Rd in Palm Bay which is a members only club that im told has distance to 700 yds.

Yeah, I had a membership at a place in Frostproof that went out to 660 yards and had private bays to practice practical shooting, 3-gun, and action pistol and such, but didn't renew it this year after ammo prices/availability did the thing. I haven't even shot a match since last year.

There's a place down in Manatee that went out to 1000, but they had too many unpracticed shooters taking potshots that went over the berm into a conservation tract on the other side, so they split it into 400 and 600 yard distances, and only qualified shooters can go out to 600, and they bumped up the range fees quite a bit. There's a place up north of Clermont that has 700 yards, but you have to be a member to use those shooting lanes. So there's places all within an hour and a half or so, it's just not as good as it used to be. I have a 6.5 Grendel semiauto that I used at the 1k range a few times and it was a ton of fun.