Thread: Help recycle a rifle

Basic Member

Help recycle a rifle

Just received an offer from a member of another forum as I had been looking for a short actin Savage junker to refit. The rifle being offered in a Savage Model 11 short action 243 with bottom bolt release and Accutrigger.. Have seen pictures and looks to be well worth the asking price and in VGC other than the stock is broken in half right at the mag well and trigger guard. The Trigger guard is broken and missing pcs, as is the mag and bottom metal.

Have searched around online and haven't found much. Are those parts available from Savage? If so how I have never attempted this before.

Plan is to restock it with a Boyds or Richards Microfit stock and maybe a re-barrel to 6BR.

Basic Member
    I would imagine you can get the parts from Numrich or Savage.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99 K 30-30 View Post
    I would imagine you can get the parts from Numrich or Savage.

Had already looked on Numrich and didn't see anything. Have never dealt with Savage.

Have you looked at Sharp Shooter Supply http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ ?

I got some parts from then awhile back when I was actively working in my Savage project.

E. A.. Brown has a bottom "metal" (Plastic) that fits the M11 and Boyd's stocks. That's what I did. I got a metal triggerguard from the Gun Shack. But you do need the mag release and spring from the old guard and spring for their guard.

You're welcome to my plastic M11 trigger guard if you want it. It doesn't have the release & spring with it.

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Short-A...l_p_14780.html
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    E. A.. Brown has a bottom "metal" (Plastic) that fits the M11 and Boyd's stocks. That's what I did. I got a metal triggerguard from the Gun Shack. But you do need the mag release and spring from the old guard and spring for their guard.

You're welcome to my plastic M11 trigger guard if you want it. It doesn't have the release & spring with it.

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Short-A...l_p_14780.html
    Thank you Stumpkiller, I will keep this and may take you up on the offer if I cannot find another.

Having a half dozen Boyd's stocks and only one Richards-not-fit-nuttin', I would suggest getting a Boyd's unless
    you like finishing a half-baked stock. There are those who have complained about Boyd's not fitting properly,
    but the only problem I've had was because of installing a different trigger. Five minutes with a dremel solved
    the clearance problem.

Basic Member
    The only Boyds stock that interests me is the Pro Varmint which was modded here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXq4c0YKjdw Which if you watch the whole series he did quite a bit of work to it. The Richards stock I have been looking at id this one, https://richardsmicrofitgunstocks.co...al-grip-style/

Basic Member
    I have had 8 or more Richard's Microfit stocks. At one time I thought they were worth the money but they have went up a fair amount in price over the years. Certainly need quite a bit of finish and fit work however.

Basic Member
    Thanks all for the responses and insights. Am now aware that the Richards might not be as finished as the Boyds but the Richards also are not laminated ply unless they are ordered as such and then the costs go way up.
    This will be my first attempt at stock working and am actually excited to do it and am not in a hurry to complete it or need to use it. Will be able to take my time with this. Once again this is being influenced by design offerings more than anything else.
    The Pro Varmint Boyds starts at $169.00 for a painted black stock, the Richards Field Trekker is $132.00 with a 1/2" pad installed. Also has the Fancy Roeswood forend and cap.

Basic Member
    Just received an email tonight that the barreled action shipped today and should arrive Friday.

Guess the next question I have about stocks is concerning magazines. Since this will be used only for paper target hunting or steel if I can find a range. Which would be cheaper and easier to configure since I have to replace parts, DBM or a Blind magazine? The Model 10 I am shooting now is a Blind mag and I like it. Also set up a user name and log-in on Savage to try and obtain parts.

I gotta think the blind magazine. No floorplate/magazine frame.

Never tried doing one, though. Only Savage I have bedded was a M11 in a Boyds and I went with aluminum pillars and glass bedding job. Bedded the bottom "metal" as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A1D3F626-072D-41E6-B597-CA1B12F9F8F0.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	8103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6D06DB37-BF3F-424B-BC0D-4A1D53D6655A.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	8104
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    I gotta think the blind magazine. No floorplate/magazine frame.

Never tried doing one, though. Only Savage I have bedded was a M11 in a Boyds and I went with aluminum pillars and glass bedding job. Bedded the bottom "metal" as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A1D3F626-072D-41E6-B597-CA1B12F9F8F0.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	8103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6D06DB37-BF3F-424B-BC0D-4A1D53D6655A.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	8104

Nicely done, wish there was a like function for this. Getting rather anxious to start on this.

Basic Member
    Well yesterday the Model 11 barreled action came home and a quick inspection other than a broken stock the gun looks hardly used. So with the serial number in hand I was able to contact Savage today and ordered the replacement stock parts I need. The Trigger Guard with the Bottom Bolt Release and the Bottom Metal. Will still need a magazine.

Still haven't decided which way to go with a replacement stock, Leaning even more towards the Richards Field Trekker or a Boyds Spike Camp. The Richards because I like the looks and style and the Boyds because it will achieve the instant gratification.

Basic Member
    Yesterday I put in an order with Richards Microfit for a Field Trekker model in economy grade Claro Walnut. Says delievery is 8-10 weeks.