Thread: Two bolt wave washers?

Basic Member

Two bolt wave washers?

When I disassembled the bolt yesterday there were two wave washers between the bolt body and the forward baffle. What is the purpose of the wave washer(s)? Why is there two of them in my bolt?

The back story,,,The rifle is a 110T chambered in .308win that I purchased just over a year ago. When I first shot it it was VERY difficult to extract the fired cases, had to hit the bolt hard with my fist to get it to extract. After several rounds of this and noticing there were heavy scratches running the length of the cases (factory Federal ammo) I decided to send the rifle back to Savage.

The receipt I got back with the rifle states that they reamed tight chamber, polished chamber, checked headspace, and replaced small parts.

This is the first time that I have disassembled the bolt so I do not know if it had two washers in the bolt before they worked on it.

The bolt lift is heavy but from what I have read on this forum that is normal for Savage bolts. The only other bolt gun I have fired was a Lee-Enfield SMLE, I think I like cock on close bolts better.

I really like this rifle and I have been able to shoot many sub MOA groups with my reloads.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Eric, I have never witnessed 2 wave washers before. The only purpose that I can identify for the wave washers is that it keeps the bolt cross pin from shifting around. If that happened you might experience a fail to fire and difficulty removing or rotating the bolt. A lot of us move the washer location forward to be between the front baffle and the bolt head. If you do not have a lathe you might not be able to do that because of the radius on the back side of the bolthead.

P.S. Make sure all your ammo is free of dirt and sand when it goes in the chamber. I have purchased a few barrels in new condition that where as yours. It is not hard to address if you have the tools. Good Luck.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have been thinking about moving one of the washers between the bolt head and baffle. This would give me the benefit of of putting the washer there but retain the thickness of both for whatever reason two were put in there.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk