Thread: New owner, with dumb questions

New owner, with dumb questions

Well, I just wrote out an in-depth post about what I'd like help with, but the forum logged me out and lost that info, so here is an abbreviated version, and I'll answer as much as I can if people need more inputs.

I just posted in the "welcome" thread, as I am new to owning firearms in total, and just ordered my Axis II Precision in 6.5. I have a few dumb as heck questions, but I think I am around the right folks to help find me answers, so here goes.

The rifle I ordered comes with a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 BDC.. but I don't see anywhere that it says "with mounts" as well? It's the deal from KYGunCo if you want the reference. I'd link it. but unsure of rules here and dont want to come off as some random new guy, who looks like he's selling something, I absolutely am not. If no mounts, any mounts you suggest?

I imagine I want a muzzle brake of some sort, as the 6.5 I fired recently had one on and the guy said it helped the smoothness/feel and target reacquisition. I should mention, I am not a hunter, I will be target shooting with the possibility of turning that into a side hobby. Any recommendations on a muzzle brake? I see all sorts for wildly different prices, some as high as $300, and others as low as $59? What am I missing here?

I would like a swiveling bipod, as that made the shooting so much more comfortable. When I shot the 6.5, I also shot a few other rifles and the swiveling bipod made things so much better. Any suggestions there for one that won't break the bank?

Any other upgrades or what have you for the rifle I ordered that you may suggest? Any info appreciated!

Basic Member
    As a package deal, that scope should come already mounted and ready for you to zero. It should be on paper at 50yds but not fully zeroed as that will depend on your load. See youtube videos or seek experienced help on how to zero a rifle. I have that same scope on my .243 Axis and it is decent for the money. I would not worry about a muzzle device at this time. Shoot what you have and see how it shoots with different loads. This is far more important. 6.5 is not a hard kicking cartridge that will require a brake. Honestly, they are mostly cosmetic until you get into some serious heavy hitter calibers. Neither is a bolt gun shooting so fast that a new shooter will notice a difference. You can get a swivel bipod at walmart and be fine. Harris is usually the go do Bipod brand and they are very good, but in a rifle in this weight class, the walmart Caldwell or Champion will be fine.

I just looked at the sellers website at the package you ordered, other than bipod and ammo, you need nothing. As I said, you don't need the brake, you won't notice the difference, and by the time you can, you won't need other's advice on which one you like.

Basic Member
    Agreed with the other reply.
    Spend your money on the bipod. The brake will mainly redirect gases and noise back to you and others around you. If you are having to shoot fast enough with a bolt action rifle that target reaquisition is a big thing, then you brought the wrong gun for the situation.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Others have had good luck with Vortex optics but I have had terrible luck with them and there are enough others on the form with the same experience to know there could a problem. It is kind of a hit and miss deal but if you aren't satisfied with the accuracy of your rifle it is possible the scope is defective. I agree about the muzzle brake, not needed and just more expense.

I think you will like your Axis. My Axis is either the most accurate rifle I have or as accurate as my much higher priced Model 12 22-250 heavy barrel.

Basic Member
    Welcome to the club. An Axis was what introduced me to the good accuracy available in budget rifles these days.

I would also go with a budget bipod for now. Until you get some more experience and know what kind of shooting you will do, looking at more expensive solutions may be just a waste of money.

Get some ammo and go shoot!! Try to not create any bad habits when shooting. Look up some videos on shooting techniques and practice. NRA has a bunch of them as do some other sites/companies.

Thanks everyone.. so no on the muzzle brake, gotcha.. don't need it, and like it was said - I am not reacquiring targets, so aside from looks, it's a non-starter.
    Get a good bipod, and even Wal Mart has those? I didnt think they would.. good to know. Thanks everyone!

What’s the point of the rifle?

Shoot it at 100yds..
    If it’s a moa gun. Put some optics on it you can work with. I see so many sweet looking rigs at the range that the owner of it doesn’t have a clue what it does or what it means.
    As no dope on the weapon or cartridge their sending down range.

So.

Get a load and get some information

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Colorado Springs has a Cabelas and Sportsmans. Both will have a wide selection of bipods, including less expensive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    What’s the point of the rifle?

Shoot it at 100yds..
    If it’s a moa gun. Put some optics on it you can work with. I see so many sweet looking rigs at the range that the owner of it doesn’t have a clue what it does or what it means.
    As no dope on the weapon or cartridge their sending down range.

So.

Get a load and get some information

Cheers

The purpose of this rifle is for target practice and getting familiar with longer range shooting. I have the ability to go out to 500 yards locally, so that will be my first test with the rifle. If things go well, I hope to turn long range shooting into a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Colorado Springs has a Cabelas and Sportsmans. Both will have a wide selection of bipods, including less expensive ones.
    We now have a Scheels too :) I love that place!

Basic Member
    Let us know how it does at the range.

Basic Member
    Shoot the gun until you are bette than it's equiptment. Then upgrades make sense . If you do alot of things at first it becomes harder to figure how to solve an issue , too many variables. Try it without bipod first . Axis is known for A very flexible stock that effects accuracy negatively and bipod can increase
    that. Get a base line accuracy off sandbags . Then when you add bipod you will know if accuracy changes . Same for a muzzle brake . First is to break it in . Look up methods of cleaning as you do that . Then find a ammo that shoots best . Hornady has some great loads as well as federal gold metal match and others . No need for premium ammo in break in . Get comfortable . Practice dry firing to get used to the trigger . Do it with eyes closed it enhances concentration . Get used to cheek weld and griping the gun . Develop muscle memory . Look through scope then close eyes and look again . If you are still on target you are relaxed and not introducing muscles to hold/shift aim then pull trigger . All this can be done NOT wasting ammo . God bless .

Quote Originally Posted by Bombpop View Post
    I would like a swiveling bipod, as that made the shooting so much more comfortable. When I shot the 6.5, I also shot a few other rifles and the swiveling bipod made things so much better. Any suggestions there for one that won't break the bank?
    6.5?

6.5 x 52mm? 6.5 x 54mm? 6.5 x 55mm? 6.5.x.57mm? .260 Rem? .264 Win Mag? 6.5 Rem Mag? 6.5 x 284 Win? 6.5 x '06? .26 Nosler? 6.5 x .300 Weatherby? 6.5 PRC?

No. We can assume 6.5 Creedmoor because you think you are the first hikers on this trail.

Meh.

I have a Harris 1-A that's 40 years old and still serves. Maybe you'd like a S-BR?
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Not the first hiker on the trail, there is only one 6.5 offered in the Axis.

Basic Member
    I have the same rifle, and it’s amazing. Definitely more accurate than I am. The Axis II Precision rifles are mounted in a chassis system, so a bipod is something I would definitely invest in. I got a 2 piece one that fits the Mlok slots on the handguard. I forget the brand, but I think it’s a UTG. Doesn’t swivel, but that’s not something I needed it to do. I think it was $50 or so. With factory Hornady Black ammo, it shoots sub-MOA all day. With my hand loads, I can get 3 shot groups between .25” and .50”. As for muzzle breaks, you don’t really “need” one, 6.5 creedmoor doesn’t recoil much, but I put one on mine, and it helps keep me on target better, after taking a shot. If it comes with a scope and rings, you’re pretty much set. Get some ammo, and send it! I put a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50 in an Aero ultralight mount, on top of mine, and it’s functioned great. I zero’d it on paper at 100 yards, and then moved over to 200 to check my hold over. It was dead on, so I went to the 300 yard and then the 500 yard range, and rang steel on the first shot each time. I love my old wood stock rifles with nice checkering, but the MDT chasis system on the Savage Axis II Precision, has me thinking that I need to get one in .270 and 30.06 too, and retire my old Savage 110 and Remington 721!