Thread: My B22 FV-SR’s First Range Day

Basic Member

My B22 FV-SR’s First Range Day

I went to the indoor range at 5:30 am, this morning for my B22 FV-SR’s first range day. I shoot in a 50 ft/100 ft indoor/outdoor league for 22LR rifles, using iron sights. So after I installed the iron sights, it took about 30 shots, to get it on target, then I ran 2 of my 5 targets of 10 shots each cycles. My current average using a Ruger Precision Rimfire is 97.8%, the 2 cycles with the FV-SR were 96.6% and 97%. It’s going to take some more practicing, to used to the Savage, but so far I like it a lot.

The front sight is a Mossberg/Benelli (depending which website you find) tactical shot gun sight that clamps directly to the barrel and a M1 style peep sight, clamps directly to the rifle’s picatinny rail.

While I was there, I also ran 2 cycles with the Christensen Arms Ranger 22, that were 95.8% and 96.4%, and and 2 cycles with the Ruger Precision Rimfire, 97.8% and 98%. I also did 2 cycles with the Winchester Wildcat semi-auto, and did not set the world on fire, 93.8% and 93.2%.

I ran these like I do in the weekly league, using the required target, downloaded from Targetz.com and the only ammo the league allows, CCI HP mini-mags.

Basic Member
    Hi - Just a couple Qs like on RFC site - So, what sort of league is this? What targets ? Does the percentage indicate number of hits or 10s or what? Do you find the MMs accurate enough, even for the short range? I mostly shoot SV with a scope and at 25yds I get about 1/2" or less. At 50yds I usually keep around 3/4-1" - I'm a bit impatient for really good shooting.

Basic Member
    The league is an unofficial league, that has been running for about 40-45 yrs, it was started by two brothers that were cousins, over the yrs its had as many as 100 shooters and at other times as few as 20, its been pretty steady with about 55-65 shooters for about the last 10 yrs. I’ve shot in it for about 25 yrs, with a few gaps, as I was living out of state and was working out of the country for 6-7 yrs. The league is basically family (cousins, nephews, grandkids), HS classmates, their families, friends, etc.

I have never won the title, I have finished 2nd 3 times and for the last 10-15 yrs have never finished lower than 8th. I currently third in the league standings, with 3 more weeks left in the season, I do not see any real chance of improvement, that’s where I probably finish up. The shooters are using everything from a 1950’s era Montgomery-Wards bolt action to 2 shooters, who are using Vudoos, I’m currently using a Ruger Precision Rimfire.

It’s shot at 50 ft indoors, because of the upstate NY winters, its iron or open sights only, no scopes. You shoot 5 targets, 10 shots each, each round is worth a maximum of 10 points, a possible 100 points per target, your weekly average is the average of the 5 targets. They have always call it percentages, its the same as points. We all use the same target and the same ammo. No bipods the rifle must be hand held, you can use sand bags or other supports for your hands/arms, but the rifle is not allowed to rest directly on the support.

It’s basically an excuse to go out and shoot with family and friends, but they just keep score………….

Basic Member
    Due to some email issues, that have been corrected, here is a picture of the Savage B 22 FV-SR with iron sights
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 25A04C57-D5EB-494A-A2C7-9BB223FA9D2A.jpeg  

Basic Member
    Here is one of this mornings targets, 50 ft indoors, iron sights, 10 shots with CCI HP mini-mags
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 511ECAA4-A76C-42BB-AC72-98C4C10E76C7.jpeg