Thread: 6.5 PRC 110 Tactical (Desert)

Basic Member

6.5 PRC 110 Tactical (Desert)

Looking at possibly getting a 110 Tactical or Tactical Desert in 6.5 PRC but curious about magazines. Called Savage CS and tech service and got nowhere. Trying to find out what's the magazine's internal length? SAAMI specs 2.955" Max COAL. Will other brands like MDT or AccurateMag work with the 6.5 PRC? Does anyone here have one?

Also, I've read that the 110 Tacticals had feeding issues. Has this been rectified?

Basic Member
    The 110 Tactical uses a metal AccurateMag mag for 300 WSM/6.5 PRC. The cost up to $70 each. I have not seen any other magazine that fits. I have not had any feeding issues with my Tactical in 6.5 PRC.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2Wyo View Post
    The 110 Tactical uses a metal AccurateMag mag for 300 WSM/6.5 PRC. The cost up to $70 each. I have not seen any other magazine that fits. I have not had any feeding issues with my Tactical in 6.5 PRC.
    Oh Great an actual owner! What's your mags internal length measurement? Good to know it feeds fine. Could you please throw me a little info on the accuracy you're getting with yours? Thanks!

Basic Member
    The internal max length is 2.950 per Accurate mag's web site. https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazi...dssf-magazine/
    Accuracy has been good, .5 at 100 yards and my load development is on hold as I cannot get powders, but I have gotten single digit SD on the test loads.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2Wyo View Post
    The internal max length is 2.950 per Accurate mag's web site. https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazi...dssf-magazine/
    Accuracy has been good, .5 at 100 yards and my load development is on hold as I cannot get powders, but I have gotten single digit SD on the test loads.
    This is good to know. Looking at the Tactical or Tactical Desert and an aftermarket stock or chassis. Also looking at the Bergara B-14 HMR.

I'm also curious as to why Savage (& Bergara) went with the 24" bbl instead of 26" for the 6.5 PRC.??

Basic Member
    Timing I suppose is everything. The post immediately before yours (https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...Feeding-Issues) had essentially the same question regarding feeding problem with a 110 Tactical he recently bought. There were some informative responses about troubleshooting feeding problems with factory magazines but I guess the punchline is a quote provided by wbm:

From Savage Arms:

"A small number of first production 110 Tactical models were shipped with the Savage pattern bottom metal/magazine.
    Going forward, all the 110 Tactical models will have the AICS bottom metal and magazine. If a customer has a rifle with the Savage style magazine, they can reach out to Customer Service, and arrange for rifle return to Savage, and installation of the AICS bottom metal/magazine."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowoulf2000 View Post
    Timing I suppose is everything. The post immediately before yours (https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...Feeding-Issues) had essentially the same question regarding feeding problem with a 110 Tactical he recently bought. There were some informative responses about troubleshooting feeding problems with factory magazines but I guess the punchline is a quote provided by wbm:

From Savage Arms:

"A small number of first production 110 Tactical models were shipped with the Savage pattern bottom metal/magazine.
    Going forward, all the 110 Tactical models will have the AICS bottom metal and magazine. If a customer has a rifle with the Savage style magazine, they can reach out to Customer Service, and arrange for rifle return to Savage, and installation of the AICS bottom metal/magazine."
    So rifles on dealer racks should be GTG right?

Basic Member
    Also curious about another thing. Why does Savage offer the 6mm Creedmoor Tactical Desert with a 26" bbl but the 6.5 PRC with only a 24"? The 6.5 Creedmoor is also 24". The PRC has significant more case capacity than either of the Creedmoors, What could be their reasoning behind this decision?