Thread: Extraction & Ejection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage

Extraction & Ejection

I've read as many of the relevant threads that I can find. The rifle is a model 12 with a PTG replacement bolt head, 223. Barrel was installed using this bolt head, go and no go gauges. Chamber is regularly cleaned. Larger detent ball is in place. New extractor (from Savage) is in place. Bolt face area in the area of the detent ball, spring slot, and extractor have been cleaned. About half of the fired cases drop off and are left on the magazine lips. These same cases are briskly extracted and ejected from another Mod 12. It does appear that specific empty cases are not extracted and ejected, while other cases will consistently extract and eject. What am I missing? Any thoughts as to what I should try next?

Get a new extractor.

Size brass to same dimensions.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    The extractor may need to go deeper into the brass's extractor groove. About .010" from my measurements. My new 6.5 Axis drops about 1/4 of shells fired using new Hormady factory ammo. Its stops with reload. Why i dont know?

Working the action fast, seems to help. Dont know where to get a longer extractor to hand fit?

Banned
    When you remove the bolt, and just put a case in the bolt head, is there significant play? This is 223, huh? I use a PTG bolt head for 260Rem. The case head fits the bolt head very snugly. I would look at this carefully. The problem lies in with the bolt head/extractor combination.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    When you remove the bolt, and just put a case in the bolt head, is there significant play? This is 223, huh? I use a PTG bolt head for 260Rem. The case head fits the bolt head very snugly. I would look at this carefully. The problem lies in with the bolt head/extractor combination.
    I was afraid the bolt head might be the issue. Yes, there's more play in the PTG bolt head than in the factory bolt head on my other bolt. Hopefully, I can find an extractor that will fix this issue. Otherwise, I'll have to consider changing the bolt head. Slapping the bolt back will often extract and eject, but I don't want to have to do that. Thanks for the feedback from all.

Team Savage
    A new extractor worked. I tried several new extractors that resulted in no change. One was very difficult to install, and looked different. There is a logo on the top surface. All of the test cases extract and eject, no problems. Thanks again.