Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullets for Axis

Basic Member

Mr Sneerdly, wait till you try lead free bullets! Some of them don't even start to group till you are 50 to 60 thousands off the lands! 80 thousands is not unheard of! DR

Basic Member
    I have an Axis in .223 and the most accurate bullets in my rifle are Hornady 22 cal. Match - 53 grain hollow points. (#2250) I get sub minute of angle at 100 yds. with a variety of powders. A2015, H322 and RL7. COAL is 2.25" and twist is 1 in 9".

Basic Member
    My axis 223 completely factory set up . ( afraid to change anything) 55 grain hornady V max . Fed primers 27.3 grain cfe 223 or 27 grain varget sub 1/2 all day . Winchester brass loaded long I forget my oal . But its like 20 thou off lands . Bullet just a hair deeper than neck length . Flat base bullets seem to shoot better under 300 yds than boat tails . Not sure why ask the ppc bench rest guys . Twist is 1 in 9
    Last edited by kingdombuilder; 07-02-2021 at 09:39 PM. Reason: left info out

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdombuilder View Post
    My axis 223 completely factory set up . ( afraid to change anything) 55 grain hornady V max . Fed primers 27.3 grain cfe 223 or 27 grain varget sub 1/2 all day . Winchester brass loaded long I forget my oal . But its like 20 thou off lands . Bullet just a hair deeper than neck length . Flat base bullets seem to shoot better under 300 yds than boat tails . Not sure why ask the ppc bench rest guys . Twist is 1 in 9

I wonder if my Axis had somewhat of a screw up from the factory. I don't think I could get that bullet anywhere that close to the lands and have an adequate amount in the case. I have measured this several times and the throat is .070" longer than the Remington. I have found that being close to the lands is way overblown, at least with my rifles, but I think anything over .100" can't be good.

I have found that being close to the lands is way overblown
    +1!

Basic Member
    Have to test more, but looking ok so far.

Like 4166 a lot. Used it to replace Varget.

Basic Member
    243winxb, have you tried the 77 grain Sierra? I think it is just slightly more accurate but they are also far more expensive. I think for the extremely small difference it isn't worth the price. I am never going to win any accuracy contests with a $300 gun and a $250 scope but I do like to do as well as possible. Have you tried CFE 223 powder? That and a little bit of Benchmark is all I have and I have no idea when powder and primers will be readily available again but when it is I would like to get the most accurate. Do you feel weighing the brass helps in accuracy? I have not been doing that but it might be worth doing.

Basic Member
    Thinking 9 twist to slow for 77gr? Not tried CFE223 or Benchmark. Weighing brass seems to help, when its new & all from the same lot. LC mixed, probably not. Annealing and neck turning should make for more consistent bullet hold/neck tension.

May be just extra work, but a good winter activity.

Basic Member
    ^^^I know, the 77 grain isn't supposed to work but Charlie B has been using them and I tried them. Another gentleman that has outstanding accuracy on this forum also uses them but I can't recall his name. They do cost a lot more though which some may say is worth it but the difference in accuracy is slight. I do need to anneal my brass, been too long since I did it but no signs of split necks but I guess it helps with uniform neck tension. The 68 grain Hornady is supposed to work but I had the poorest accuracy with that bullet of any that I have tried so far. Funny, some of the stuff that shouldn't work does and some that should doesn't, at least for me.

Basic Member
    CFJunkie, Hamilton*** and I have all used the 77gn SMK's in the Savage 1-9 twist barrels with excellent results. For me they are good for 1/2MOA or so at 200yd. Just for grins I shot mine at 1000yd and got a 18in group in a slight breeze (5mph maybe). I like to shoot a 5" plate at 600yd or soda cans at 400yd. Good practice for shooting in the wind. I load them with 23.5gn of Varget and 2.280oal for a vel of 2850fps. I don't do anything with the cases. Just load and shoot. I do use Lapua cases simply because I get a ton more reloads with them before they give out. My current batch have had 16 reloads and are just now beginning to show some loose primer pockets. They have never needed trimming either.

The SMK's are a little more expensive, but, they do better for me at range than the 69gn SMK's. CFJ likes the tipped match kings better but they cost even more.

My Axis is approaching 4000 rounds and shoots as well as it ever did. I kinda slowed down shooting it due to the shortage of components but things are starting to look up. Got a lb of 4166 the other day. So, will start taking it to the range more often again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12