Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.8 Western

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by deadduck357 View Post
    Hmm, knew nothing about it. About when (year) were these available? Maybe at the time there weren't these 3.0" COALs. ???
    I measured a bunch of my savage short action magazines and AICS magazines.
    dark eagle short std- 3.020
    old style axis short std- 3.023
    new axis/11 style 300WSM- 3.023
    accustock style short STD- 3.013
    Accurate Mag no binderplate 300WSM- 2.989
    Accurate Mag No Binderplate 300 WSM - 2.976

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Compared to other manufacturers like Remington, the Savage short action kinda already is the "intermediate" length action with it's 3.00" magazine. I'm building a .284 Win (the grandaddy of all the short-fat-rebated rim cartridges) in a Savage short action because I realized all my finished rounds were right at or slightly less than 3.00", so there was no need for a long action. I have a 7x57 on a Savage long action, but truth be told I could fit that in a Savage 3.00" magazine too if I wanted.
    I wasn't aware but good to know. Thanks.

Too bad the 284 Win isn't more popular, it should be. Read somewhere that Lapua or Norma was going to start making brass for it (or already have).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I measured a bunch of my savage short action magazines and AICS magazines.
    dark eagle short std- 3.020
    old style axis short std- 3.023
    new axis/11 style 300WSM- 3.023
    accustock style short STD- 3.013
    Accurate Mag no binderplate 300WSM- 2.989
    Accurate Mag No Binderplate 300 WSM - 2.976
    Much thanks for doing this. Good info.

Wonder if the Berger 170gr EOL would fit. ??

Team Savage
    I wasn't aware but good to know. Thanks.

Too bad the 284 Win isn't more popular, it should be. Read somewhere that Lapua or Norma was going to start making brass for it (or already have).
    It's pretty popular with me. I just built a .284 Win on a long Savage LWS action and it's a great shooter. Much less recoil and better ballistics than the .280 Rem I used to own. After working up some loads I realized I could get what a wanted from a 3.00" COAL so I'm building another one on a short Savage LWS action with a lighter barrel profile. Final rifle should be just under 6 lbs. without optics and shoot a 160 grainer at 2850 fps. Not much that won't handle for me and it will be a pleasure to carry in the mountains.

Banned
    It is odd how cartridge popularity works sometimes. Both the 6.5-284 & 7mm-08 are more popular outright that than the 284Win.

If I decide to build I may just go with the 284 Win

+1

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    It's pretty popular with me. I just built a .284 Win on a long Savage LWS action and it's a great shooter. Much less recoil and better ballistics than the .280 Rem I used to own. After working up some loads I realized I could get what a wanted from a 3.00" COAL so I'm building another one on a short Savage LWS action with a lighter barrel profile. Final rifle should be just under 6 lbs. without optics and shoot a 160 grainer at 2850 fps. Not much that won't handle for me and it will be a pleasure to carry in the mountains.
    Sounds good. A 160 at 3.0" will be great. What bbl length you figure to get 2850?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    It is odd how cartridge popularity works sometimes. Both the 6.5-284 & 7mm-08 are more popular outright that than the 284Win.
    Don't think Winchester gave it much of a chance with what they chambered it in.

Basic Member
    Don't think Winchester gave it much of a chance with what they chambered it in.
    But that was before the internet lol.
    Firearms companies have always been looking for ways to improve sales.
    The bottom line might be a better way to say it.
    Some have worked well for them and some havent.
    Ditto with the bullet makers.
    Will it ever change?
    Probably not, because as old E P Barnum said, (theres one born every minit).

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    There are good reasons for that, but the .284 Win is making a comeback these days and IMO it will be more popular than the 7mm-08 10-15 years from now.

The 7mm-08 has been my go-to hunting cartridge for a long while, but I often wished for just a little more horsepower when was out west. The .284 in a medium length action is IMO as close to the perfect hunting cartridge as a guy can find - throwing high-BC projectiles with great sectional density and useful hunting weights at a good speed with modest recoil. You can't ask for much more than that.

It's like the bigger, older brother to the 6.5 CM.

Team Savage
    Sounds good. A 160 at 3.0" will be great. What bbl length you figure to get 2850?
    I was getting 2850 out of a 21" barrel. My new barrel will be a slimmer profile and 22" to start with. If I find that it's nose-heavy (reason I sold my last build) I'll trim it to 21"

Basic Member
    OMG, another way to get your money. Plays off BOTH the short action and long range myths. Just cannot believe old JOC and countless others killed freight cars full of big game with the plain old 270 WCF ! I have killed well over 100 head of big game and my longest shot (on a poor doe Antelope some one had shot a leg off) was 407 yards with my 99 R 300 wearing a 4X Koli shooting 130 TSXs. If I were King --- no one would be allowed to hunt with a rifle until they had become a successful bowhunter (no compounds or crossbows) for 5 years running.

Wager that not 1 in 100 who buys this latest silly cartridge could hit a 6" pieplate at 500 yards from an improvised field position.

My last 5 speed goats were killed at 60 feet, 30 yards, 55 yards, 130 yards and 200 yards. 6.5x55, .452 MZ, 41 Swiss, 270 WCF and 280 AI.

I love to shoot at 1000 yards and more on steel gongs, not some wonderful animal that will die a horrible death if my wind or range calls are off 5%.

This gun is part Savage and will shoot MOA to 1000 and beyond. Lotsa fun but not for hunting big game !

338 RUM, 36" bbl, 3000 fps w/300 Bergers.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99 K 30-30 View Post
    OMG, another way to get your money. Plays off BOTH the short action and long range myths. Just cannot believe old JOC and countless others killed freight cars full of big game with the plain old 270 WCF ! I have killed well over 100 head of big game and my longest shot (on a poor doe Antelope some one had shot a leg off) was 407 yards with my 99 R 300 wearing a 4X Koli shooting 130 TSXs. If I were King --- no one would be allowed to hunt with a rifle until they had become a successful bowhunter (no compounds or crossbows) for 5 years running.

Wager that not 1 in 100 who buys this latest silly cartridge could hit a 6" pieplate at 500 yards from an improvised field position.

My last 5 speed goats were killed at 60 feet, 30 yards, 55 yards, 130 yards and 200 yards. 6.5x55, .452 MZ, 41 Swiss, 270 WCF and 280 AI.

I love to shoot at 1000 yards and more on steel gongs, not some wonderful animal that will die a horrible death if my wind or range calls are off 5%.

This gun is part Savage and will shoot MOA to 1000 and beyond. Lotsa fun but not for hunting big game !

338 RUM, 36" bbl, 3000 fps w/300 Bergers.

Well lucky for you you arent the King. lol
    As for the gun pictured shooting minit of angle to 1000 yds ?
    It will shoot as well as the shooter and prevailing conditions permit, ( at best ).
    As for the 338 Rum and 3000 fps with a 300 gr, NO IT DOSENT.

Basic Member
    He did say it was a 36" barrel. Maybe it reaches that speed with that long of a barrel?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    He did say it was a 36" barrel. Maybe it reaches that speed with that long of a barrel?
    A long barrel in and of itself dosent produce velocity.
    Powder produces velocity.
    Years ago with the slow burn powders we used in the large cases, a long barrel was a requirement in order to get it burned before it just blew out the end of the barrel.
    With modern powder the very long barrels are no longer necessary.
    Check the capacity of that case as compared to say a 378 Weatherby case.
    You might, but probably wont, get 3000 fps from a 378 Weatherby case using a 300 gr bullet.
    My son has one, and i have several friends who do also, and none of them do.
    A 416 Rigby case is close for capacity to the 378 Wetherby, and you will get 3000 fps or slightly better by using that one.
    My brother in law gets 3050 with his which in fact does have a 36” barrel.
    You might also get 3000 by using the improved version 338 Lapua case.
    You wont get 3000 fps from a 338 Edge either with a 300 gr.

Basic Member
    yobuck back in the flatlands is uninformed about long range shooting, nitriding, 3 groove 36" barrels and 7200' of altitude,

Since he is so confident in his comment, I suggest he bet me $1000 it can't be done, get on a plane, come to WY, and watch it done in front of witnesses.

I am equally confident that will never happen.

Probably he is equally confident my 300 R 300 savage won't make 2950 with 130 TSXs.

Just love the armchair Generals who have never been shot at. Laffin !

Probably has no idea of the capability of this either.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    A long barrel in and of itself dosent produce velocity.
    Powder produces velocity.
    Years ago with the slow burn powders we used in the large cases, a long barrel was a requirement in order to get it burned before it just blew out the end of the barrel.
    With modern powder the very long barrels are no longer necessary.
    Check the capacity of that case as compared to say a 378 Weatherby case.
    You might, but probably wont, get 3000 fps from a 378 Weatherby case using a 300 gr bullet.
    My son has one, and i have several friends who do also, and none of them do.
    A 416 Rigby case is close for capacity to the 378 Wetherby, and you will get 3000 fps or slightly better by using that one.
    My brother in law gets 3050 with his which in fact does have a 36” barrel.
    You might also get 3000 by using the improved version 338 Lapua case.
    You wont get 3000 fps from a 338 Edge either with a 300 gr.
    You kind of made my point, in that the powder needs more barrel length to burn more completely which will produce more velocity. I'm not sure if the 338 RUM is capable of making that speed with a 300 grain bullet or not. But according to hodgdon's reloading data, with IMR8133, the 338 RUM can get around 2700fps with a 300 grain bullet from a 24" barrel. Adding another 12", at 25fps per inch, give or take, you're gonna be close. Of course, maybe the powder has burned completely by then and the drag of the barrel is starting to slow the bullet back down too, I don't know. I was merely thinking/asking that maybe it's possible with that length of barrel.

BTW, I'm glad he's not king either as I wouldn't like those rules, nor do I like being dictated. But I also don't advocate long range hunting either.

Basic Member
    Well unlike some keyboard warriors, I am not in the habit of making up BS to impress others.

My load of 100 gr of RL 33 is not even "warm". If you don't understand the effects of nitriding, 3 grooves and altitude on velocity, it would be prudent, yobuck, to do some research before opining on what is and what is not possible.

BTW my Browning 1890 WY Cent. 25-06, 30" 1 in 13 twist, gets 3997 with 80 gr TTSX over SuperPerformance.

I have $1000 to bet does he ?

This one with a 28" bbl only gets 3250 fps up here.

Well unlike some keyboard warriors, I am not in the habit of making up BS to impress others.

My load of 100 gr of RL 33 is not even "warm". If you don't understand the effects of nitriding, 3 grooves and altitude on velocity, it would be prudent, yobuck, to do some research before opining on what is and what is not possible.

BTW my Browning 1890 WY Cent. 25-06, 30" 1 in 13 twist, gets 3997 with 80 gr TTSX over SuperPerformance.

No reason to get all fired up. Hang out and learn who yobuck is. Im old and he is old enough to be my dad. He likes to push the edge to keep discussion going and likes to flush out B.S. He is from Penn. Enough said.

Looking forward to some great dialog brother. Thanks for your service.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=99 K 30-30;490365]Well unlike some keyboard warriors, I am not in the habit of making up BS to impress others.

[/QUOTE
    Well altitude does in fact have a positive affect on bullet performance at longer distances, no argument there.
    But it has no affect as to the the velocity of the cartridge at the muzzel.
    I am aware of the nitriting process, but im of the opinion its done primarily as a method for extending barrel life, not increasing velocity.
    I have a large jug of RL 33 and we have used it, but we get better velocity with Retumbo and a few others.
    Im not knocking your cartridge mind you as it is a good one.
    But it just isnt nearly as good as your advertising it is as for velocity.
    Nice B&L 6x24 you have there though.
    Looks like whoever set it up knew how to do it.
    If the screws holding it onto the bases are 7.25” center to center as it appears they could be, then you could dial the scope using 1/4 minit data.
    That is if it had a decent setup for dialing, which it dosent.

Has there been any rumors of Savage chambering the 6.8 Western?
    Ok. Why not get back to to the OP's question?

Not even a whisper about Savage chambering for it. But your question got me interested in the 6.8 Western so I did a lot of reading about it. What I read from Winchester and Browning is that their objective for this cartridge is to provide a "better" alternative to the 270WSM and 6.5 PRC and to provide performance that will "overshadow the 6.5 Creedmoor". Whether any other gun maker will chamber for it seems to be dependent on whether it achieves the designers objectives.
    So, seems to me if Winchester and Browning hit hard with market hype like Hornady did with the 6.5CM they might achieve their goals.

Guns Magazine review was , my take, "Meh".
    American Hunter a bit better. "For the hunter who spends the majority of his or her time in the whitetail woods, it may not offer much of an advantage over the time-honored .270 Winchester, but for the hunter who intends to pursue a wide variety of game, it is a very flexible cartridge, worthy of considering"

With reviews like this I think Savage may take a wait-and-see approach.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Ok. Why not get back to to the OP's question?
    I'm personally not looking at this cartridge. It's old news in my opinion, and
    looking at it from a wild catter's point of view, it's been done already. The
    difference here is, an established brand brought it to market. But any way,
    pick your poison.....I brew my own.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Think you are right.

Boy, does that bring back memories. A good friend's father (who was also a good friend as I grew older) had a similar .25-06, but built on a Mauser '98 action. That was in the mid 1970's. Unertl scope with windage on the mounts. It was a rifle we clamored over to get to shoot.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

why not a 7mm version.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast