Thread: 6.8 Western

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

6.8 Western

Has there been any rumors of Savage chambering the 6.8 Western?

We can start one.

Otherwise Jim or Fred might be the source for accurate rumors.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    We can start one.

Otherwise Jim or Fred might be the source for accurate rumors.
    I've no clue who they are.

Have not heard any. Interesting cartridge. Way more than I need but I can see the attraction. A shorter & more efficient .270 Weatherby.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    Have not heard any. Interesting cartridge. Way more than I need but I can see the attraction. A shorter & more efficient .270 Weatherby.
    I'm interested in both the 6.8 Western and 6.5 PRC. More 6.5 PRC options available.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    Well lets remember that the same thing was said when the WSM line of cartridges was introduced now what? 20 years ago?
    The 300 WSM has had some influence in long range benchrest, but the facts dont really show all that much improvement even there.
    Higher numbers of users for that purpose cant be ignored either.
    And as for actual longrange performance, the 300 win mag still rules over the short version.
    It could be argued that short action rifles are a bit nicer to look at however.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Well lets remember that the same thing was said when the WSM line of cartridges was introduced now what? 20 years ago?
    The 300 WSM has had some influence in long range benchrest, but the facts dont really show all that much improvement even there.
    And as for actual longrange performance, the 300 win mag still rules over the short version.
    The recent push for "reintroduced" cartridges with minor tweaks is to squeeze high BC bullets into existing cases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post

I agree. This stuff has been done before. Somehow they think a shorter case with less power & heavier bullet equals more velocity. Still people SWEARING they are getting 2950fps with 140gr. from their 6.5CM. Uh-huh.... Oh....and somehow a sharp shoulder gives it some supernatural, better accuracy & performance. Just, not as sharp as an Ackley Improved case. No, no, no, no.... that TOO sharp & just doesn’t work as well. Uhg... we keep seeing these things.

Im not making this stuff up! Look at what these YAHOOS are saying!

It was the balance of taking a parent case in .270 WSM and actually taking away powder capacity to make it more powerful down range. It seems counterintuitive, but that was exactly what was accomplished.”

And people keep on believing this nonsense! “YEAH! Shorter case & less powder with a HEAVIER bullet... that will DEFINITELY have more power!” Knuckleheads!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deadduck357 View Post
    I've no clue who they are.

Jim is “J.Baker”. He is owner & Admin. for our wonderful forum. Fred is “sharpshooter” and among the more knowledgeable members. These two know the most about different models offered through history & general “goings on” with Savage Arms.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Jim is “J.Baker”. He is owner & Admin. for our wonderful forum. Fred is “sharpshooter” and among the more knowledgeable members. These two know the most about different models offered through history & general “goings on” with Savage Arms.
    Will try to remember this.

Savage seems to product some rifles in all he newest cartridges. Looking for a new rifle and new cartridge.

Basic Member
    You can always get one chambered in another WSM round and re-barrel it. The thought has crossed my mine for that and also the 27 Nosler. I really don't have a use for it, but I'm intrigued by it. Too many other projects in the works at the moment though.