Thread: Fox BSE single trigger firing both barrels with one pull

Fox BSE single trigger firing both barrels with one pull

Hello everyone, I have a question. I have an older Fox BSE with a single trigger. I bought it from a guy several months ago and didn’t fire it until recently. To my surprise it fires both barrels with one pull of the trigger. It does this every time even with low brass shells. I took it to a respectable gunsmith who I’ve used several times and he found a couple of weak springs. Those were replaced but the gun still fires both barrels with one trigger pull. Both don’t fire at exactly the same time, it’s more like a almost immediate back to back ignition with a long hard recoil.

Any ideas what’s wrong?

Thanks,
    Doug

Basic Member
    There are 2 sets of hammer & sear for each barrel. The engagement seens light? A gunsmith should be able to file the contact area to make the trigger pull heavier. Depends if surface hardened or fully hard. Dont want to file away any surface hardening, if any still remains.
    The recoil from the first shot is dropping the hammer on the 2nd barrel. Very dangerous.

You can measure the trigger weight of each, with a gauge. My guess, but could be other issues?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/categor...guns-sav/bse-d.

The gun may fire when closing the action.

Basic Member
    Trigger types- mechanical or inertia triggers, makes a difference. Research is needed to know what one, your gun has.

Inertia from recoil moves the internal parts in alignment so the next pull of the trigger fires the 2nd barrel.

With snap caps in chambers, pull trigger. If 2nd pull of trigger drops the 2nd hammer, it mechanical.

Inertia needs a hard smack on the recoil pad to set the 2nd hammer, before the trigger is pulled.

Best to find a gunsmith that knows shotguns well.

Thank you gentlemen for the replies. It is a mechanical trigger. I use snap caps often and it does not trip both hammers with snap caps. Sounds like a sear to me too.