Thread: Savage 110 build questions

Savage 110 build questions

Hello All, first post here but IÂ’ve got some questions regarding a Gun build
    i have a 20 year old or so savage 110 7mm rem mag I got from my dad and IÂ’m working on upgrading/building off of it

i bought a bell and Carlson spotter stock for it and IÂ’m trying to figure out what barrel I need, I am currently looking at McGowan barrels and their different options leave me with questions.

How do I know what threading my action is looks like the options are savage standard/large/target.?

Also what barrel contour will fit the bell and Carlson sporter stock? IÂ’m guessing the savage sporter will fit, but will the savage magnum fit?

I am also looking g to put a break or suppressor on the barrel is there a more common muzzle threading that is normally used it looks like the options are 1/2, 9/16, or 5/8 is there one that is more standard or gives me more options.

Thanks

Your action should be for the small shank barrel. What caliber are you considering for the build. If you get away from the belted magnum round you'll need a new bolt head. The savage magnum barrel should fit but you may have to open up the barrel channel a bit to free float that size barrel. the size threading you'll need is predicated on the actually barrel size you end up getting.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Thanks, I would not have guessed small shank. I am going to keep it 7mm RM the current barrel just has some decent pitting in the last few inches that I think is affecting accuracy, and I also have l a lot of 7mmRM brass that I wouldn’t have a use for if I changed caliber.

Basic Member
    https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...el-Shank-Sizes

This should help with barrel shank size information. If your rifle is a sporter model, I'd about guarantee it's a small shank. Very few specialty models were chambered for belted magnums on the large shank.

Yup that helps it is defiantly the standard shank.

What ever barrel maker you end up going with, they can advise the best threading to use. A magnum sporter barrel at 24" should work for your application. A stainless steel barrel will break in a bit faster and clean up easier than chrome moly steel.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67