Thread: Savage 110 Tactical Feeding Issues

Savage 110 Tactical Feeding Issues

I recently picked up a new Savage 110 Tactical and it's an awesome rifle. My only complaints so far is the firearm does not seem to want to feed the rounds correctly. I'm new to Savage rifles, so this has caught me off guard a little bit but not new to firearms. I have my suspicions what's going on here, but I'm not here to be a know it all so I'm willing to listen to any and all opinions. Hopefully we can get this squared away and we're ready to rock and roll again. The firearm seems to feed the first 3 rounds no problem, but any more in the magazine then that and we're asking for trouble.

I was under the impression this .308 caliber firearm came with a 10-round magazine but this mag doesn't seem to want to hold more than 6 and like I said above, anymore than 3 and we're not cooking with gasoline anymore.

Your rifle has a magazine with a 10 round capacity. There is a problem with your cartridges or the magazine. Is it factory Ammo or handloads. Knowing the COAL and the COAL capacity of the magazine may shed light on the mag function issue. Also determining if there is a problem with the magazine by performing some spring/follower compression test may help. Lastly you could contact Savage or purchase an additional magazine to test.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Hello,
    The cartridges are factory ZQ1 brass cased 7.62x51. The magazine is an MDT polymer magazine. I have contacted Savage about the issue but so far I haven't received a response.

I have the same rifle and the feeding problem with the 10 round magazine is a common issue. The problem is that the magazine fits like a BB in a boxcar...lots of play. I have a 5 round magazine that I use instead without a problem. All Savage will do, maybe, is send you another magazine. Some guys on various forums report that another magazine worked. Other than that....who knows. Sorry this seems to be sorta negative but Savage knows about the issue and they just keep turning out the same old 110 Tactical with ill fitting magazines...so there ya have it.

Hi wbm,
    Thanks for stopping in, great information. I had an idea that some of these Savage rifles weren't perfect out of the box but I had it on good authority that they were solid firearms regardless so I rolled the dice and took a gamble. Despite this relatively minor set back, I'm pleased with the rifle thus far. My expectations are to find a 10-round magazine that is reliable and to get this rifle shooting as advertised. If that isn't asking too much, I'm more then sure I will be very happy with this firearm.

I hear ya. Overall I like the rifle. A lot of features at a good price. The magazine I have feeds correctly and I never had a problem with the 5 round mag. I would see if Savage will send you a magazine. Early on the 110T had ejection problems also. Savage did mitigate that with a modified ejector that mine had so no problems there.

Banned
    I’d have ‘em swap one just in case. But if it’s still an issue, look into the Magpul AICS mags. I’ve run their 10 rounders in my Savage Bench rifle. I had to do some slight fitting for my chassis, but they run flawless since.

From Savage Arms:

"A small number of first production 110 Tactical models were shipped with the Savage pattern bottom metal/magazine.
    Going forward, all the 110 Tactical models will have the AICS bottom metal and magazine. If a customer has a rifle with the Savage style magazine, they can reach out to Customer Service, and arrange for rifle return to Savage, and installation of the AICS bottom metal/magazine."

Hi everyone,
    From what I've been able to gather thus far, the 110 Tactical has went through some various generations of design and distribution. As wbm posted above, some of these firearms were originally shipped with the Savage pattern proprietary magazines. The firearm I received featured an MDT AICS style magazine. From what I understand, the 110 Tactical is now shipping with a more reliable Magpul AICS style magazine. If this information is incorrect, please feel free to correct me.

Edit: Thanks for the interest guys, keep the contributions coming. A quick update for those interested. The Savage customer service was excellent in getting a new Magpul AICS style magazine out to me that cycles 10-rounds without issue. The only questions left to answer is how does this firearm shoot? We're about to find out. Stay tuned.

Glad Savage helped you out!

Banned
    Is there an echo in here, on those Magpul mags? LOL! J/K

No, that’s awesome they did that. Great CS there. And, I can answer your last question...it’s going to shoot AWESOME, because it’s a Savage!

Hi all,
    From the second I saw this firearm online I knew that I had to get my hands on it. It was love at first sight. I was even more impressed once I was able to finally handle it. There was an epic journey involved in just acquiring this rifle, so the magazine not working correctly was only one speed bump in a fairly long line of them. Having dealt with mag issues in other firearms in the past, I was fairly confident this wasn't a big deal and that I would be swimming in high cotton soon enough,

The Savage customer service was perfect. I'm as happy as you can be with this firearm without having actually shot it yet. Which is going to change very shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Is there an echo in here, on those Magpul mags? LOL! J/K

No, that’s awesome they did that. Great CS there. And, I can answer your last question...it’s going to shoot AWESOME, because it’s a Savage!

Good call David.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

LOL!

My brand new Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5 PRC came with a METAL AIC CLONE magazine... not plastic. Haven't shot it yet but I will let you know if I have issues with mine.

Basic Member
    I purchased a 110T last year in .308win and have had no issues with feeding. It came with a 10 rnd Magpul P mag and I have since purchased another 10 rnd and two 5 rnd P mags and they all work just fine.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk