Thread: Axis action

Team Savage

Axis action

I have a axis 243 action with the box clip/magazine
    Are these a good action to build off or not..? If they are
    I am thinking of selling it..I guess you could say its a small
    shank barrel...Thanks.

Basic Member
    Sure. Good actions. What would be its purpose ?

Basic Member
    It is not an action I would choose to invest a lot of money in. Having said that I have one in .223 that I put a Boyd's stock on and upgraded the scope. They do usually shoot well. If I wanted to change barrels in mine I'd get a 'take off' barrel for it and not a premium one. Not because the action is not strong enough, I just don't like the feel of it that much. There is a noticeable difference between it and my model 12.

If I wanted a rifle to do long range precision shooting with the idea of upgrading to a high premium barrel, heavier stock and such, I would choose a 110 series or even go to a Rem700 design.

Yes and no.

Pro:
    Cheap - The Axis was designed to be inexpensive to manufacture, and that shows through when it comes to the cost of a project rifle. I've seen used Axises have higher price tags than new ones. I attribute part of that to boneheadedness on the parts of those stores, but the other part must be the model's low MSRP.
    Mechanically sound - It may be cheap to make, but it's hard to find anything wrong with the Axis design apart from being unrefined. Even the most radical departure from de rigueur bolt action rifle design--the recoil lug--isn't bad by any means, and history hasn't borne out a plague of failures or poor accuracy stemming from it over the last eleven years. I can't cite anything overwhelmingly good about the design that other designs lack, but intrinsically it seems to be as good as any other mass produced rifle out there today.
    Use of Savage 10/110 prefits: Maybe this should have been the first on my list, but this is huge for building an Axis project. Savage small shank prefit and takeoff barrels are everywhere and in every configuration imaginable it seems. The Savage barrel nut system (and especially the splined Axis barrel nut) make it easy and fast to properly install and headspace a barrel on a rifle.

Con:
    Limited aftermarket support: Being such a new design, it's not surprising that the aftermarket for the Axis is less diverse than older models like the 10/110 and Remington 700. It's gotten better in the last few years especially, but it is still more difficult to find Axis-specific parts.
    Only one action length: The fact that the Axis uses the same action length for all of its factory chamberings from .223 Rem to .30-06 lends itself to the fact that there can be a lot of wasted space and extra weight (especially with the closed top design) in the receiver.

Sell and buy a Bighorn Origin
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    Yes and no.

Mechanically sound - It may be cheap to make, but it's hard to find anything wrong with the Axis design apart from being unrefined. Even the most radical departure from de rigueur bolt action rifle design--the recoil lug--isn't bad by any means, and history hasn't borne out a plague of failures or poor accuracy stemming from it over the last eleven years.
    That is one area of the Axis I do question. I don't think it matters much in the lighter recoiling calibers but I wonder if it is as good as the 110 style in the bigger calibers. Maybe it is, I am certainly no expert.

Basic Member
    I would think it is up to the task for most cartridges. It may even be a bit stiffer than the run of the mill model 10 since it has only a small cutout for the case ejection. Not as stiff as the target actions. This assumes that the steel Savage uses for the Axis is same grade as the model 10's. Bolt strength is the same (head portion).

The first question by us should have been; What kind of build? There are hunting rigs for 150 yards more or less, there are F/class builds, bench rest builds, long range builds, PRS builds etc... Next should have been what are your expectations.

When I hear build I hear "Serious Rifle". I understand that that term means something different to almost every one. Maybe you want to build something for fun. So, what do you mean build? I have some serious stuff built off Savage Target, Varmint and 110 actions. Mostly stainless. I understand how I want that action to feel and function. In most cases I have learned how to get there. Outside of the SSS triggers there are only a couple of triggers worthy of a "Savage build" for my personal taste.

The Accutrigger when shimmed is good enough for a hunting rifle and maybe starter gun for some competition. Timing and truing is a must in my opinion for the 10 action. Maybe the axis is better. I sold the one and only one I had.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    That is one area of the Axis I do question. I don't think it matters much in the lighter recoiling calibers but I wonder if it is as good as the 110 style in the bigger calibers. Maybe it is, I am certainly no expert.
    I built my 450 Bushmaster on an Axis action that was originally 243. I have worked up loads using 425 grain cast gas check "Pile Drivers" with out any problems (lol, other than recoil).
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    My first and only axis looks like the reciever was carved out by a chain saw carver! The bolt wobbles down the reciever with a lot of side play. and instead of making long or short actions Savage put a spacer in the mag to hold short cases in the right place.
    I'm sure Savage did this for the reason that they could assemble most any caliber on any reciever.
    This is going to be fine was a hunting gun. I have cleaned up the trigger and replaced the heavy return spring. Taking out any friction points makes the trigger reliable at only half the pull weight. And I will replace the plastic stock with something laminated. This is going to be a gun I will hunt in heavy brush and in wet conditions. If the plastic stock was less flexible I would keep the plastic.
    But if I were looking to make this a target rifle, I can think of a lot better actions to build off of. Start with something that was made with precise tolorances, That was made for a spacific family of catridges, and that has a good selection of after market accessorys!

Basic Member
    It will work. Think they still make the heavy barrel axis. Heavy barrel, accutrigger, standard savage barrel pattern... Drop it into a boyds or buy the axis precision with the chasis.

Basic Member
    I wonder if the OP is still around or we scared him off?

LOL! Could be. Won't be the first for sure.