So, I've been on the boards here now and again with my two savage rifles - a mark ii trr and axis ii hb in .223. My first rifle was a Mark ii fv-sr that was incredibly accurate and i traded away a long time ago because I was plain stupid at the time. Trying to get the fun back, I bought a mark ii trr and the axis - about a year or so apart. Neither came close to that fv-sr and the fun I had.

So... disappointed, I seriously considered selling both rifles - my wife wisely said not to and encouraged me to get something that would bring the fun back. I'm working on the mark ii now - going to glass bed it, put in dip bottom metal and switched out scopes from the mark ii to the axis. I now have a mueller 8.5-25x44 on the axis and a vortex cross fire ii 3-9x40 on the mark ii.

The axis, however, is done - it's in an oryx chassis. I took it out yesterday with what .223 ammo I had around - think it was some fiocchi and some hornady american gunner (ok so the fiocchi went bang after every round - I had 6 rounds not go bang with the hornady though - it was strange and I thought it might have been the gun - but had to be the ammo because the fiocchi ran fine). Anyways it only took a few shots to sight it in at what turned out to be 100 meters. So the old axis stock wasn't great - it would twist and bend and I'd get misfeeds from the oem magazine that held 3 or 4 rounds. The oryx magazine holds 10 - zero misfeeds in probably 30 shots fired. This thing is amazing - it solved all my feed issues. The rifle is SOOOO much more accurate than me and in the chassis, it just feels good. I'm a righty but am left eye dominant so I'm most comfortable shooting left handed. I ran the oryx off a cheap bipod I had sitting around and a rear squeeze bag - it was so much fun. I had high hopes for the oryx and it delivered and then some.

The rifle with the chassis is quite heavy - I haven't weighed it yet - but I like rifles like that - the weight just feels right. The gun now just feels good and it shoots very well. If you've been on the fence about a chassis, I can't recommend this thing enough. I shoot on a budget but saved up for this chassis and am very pleased with what my money purchased.