Thread: New guy here need some help gentlemen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New guy here need some help gentlemen

I am a new member here but do have and extensive firearms background . I just purchased a Mod 10 with threaded 20" barrel(threaded) ,black stock with flared fore end ,blind mag well, prefix N. In short I am trying to figure out exactly what I have ?
    I bought the gun because in a previous line of work the unit I was in trained a lot of LE snipers most of the smaller depts. & S.D's had Savage tactical's for I assume to be budget reasons; and both I and the cadre members were always impressed at how well they shot
    Thanks for any input

An improved description of the stock might help.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/902161710
    22 pictures
    I got it ��

Looks like a distributor exclusive combo. Model 10 SBA missing the Bushnell scope.

Basic Member
    Welcome to the club. :)

Label says Model 10 SBA. Distributor exclusives are pretty common with Savage. I have an Axis that was a special run made for Walmart. The 12FV is a 'budget' varmint rifle made for Cabela's.

I'd just accept what the label says and be satisfied that I have a short barrel .308 with a 20MOA rail and threaded muzzle. Doesn't say Accustock on it so it may be one of the common flexible forearm models. Not really a big deal, just be aware that a lot of pressure on the forearm could cause it to touch the barrel. You can stiffen it up or get a new stock if you don't like the original.

Thanks guys I have found a little more out, about apparently they were made for Dicks Sporting ,bottom line I am into it cheap . My armorer buddy former All Guard and Larry Racine (Palma Shooter) are really into Savages .
    As I stated earlier when I was at WTBN Quantico many moons ago we ran a fair amount of LE precision rifle trading all of us doing that were impressed with the Savage Police Models .
    I have some legacy 700 stuff including a 6 digit unworked action .I am looking for something envelope and weight like a Tango 51 which is doable but if I can get this little rifle around 3/4 moa why bother. Heck I can sell my legacy stuff and double my $ or more. We will see.

10T-sr

It will shoot a 168gn smk the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The load/ powder discussion is interesting I'm surprised some of you guys aren't shooting Reloader 15 I am so dated I hadn't heard of 4166.

Basic Member
    I like RL 15 but it is too temp sensitive for me. During the winter when the temps don't change as much it works really well. During the summer I have to reduce the charge a little. and I still have a change in POI during the day.

4166 is a modern version of 4064 (which is close to RL15). Temp insensitive and reduced copper fouling.

Basic Member
    NCshooter,

Back in 2008 and 2009, RL-15 was one of my standby powders for the original 10 FP barrel along with Varget, VV N150 and N140 and even H335.

That was when I was just getting serious about reloading and was still unaware of how much my inconsistency in set up technique was costing me in accuracy.
    I also have to admit that I probably didn't give some of the powder bullet combinations a good test because my 'shooter induced variations' were causing too many shots to go awry.

After trying lots of different powders, RL-15 gradually lost its luster as a top performer as I shot different powders.
    So, when I replaced the barrel on the 10 FP and added the 10 FCP-K, I concentrated on IMR4064, H4895, VV N140, and eventually IMR4166 Enduron when it introduced, because they performed best in the new barrel 10 FP and the 10 FCP-K.
    When I replaced the barrel in the 10 FP and bought the 10 FCP-K I also had an epiphany and realized to minimize my set up variations.
    That alone improved my accuracy by about 30%.
    I don't even consider the data gathered with the old barrel relevant since the group sizes were so inconsistent compared to what I can shoot today.

Varget is a good, very popular temperature insensitive powder and it performed almost as good as what I finally concentrated upon, but it is always difficult to find, especially when I was buying powder, so I bought what was available among those that performed best.

Reloder 15 is a go to powder for me. 308 and 7mm08. Everybody cries about its temperature sensitivity. Don't see a problem in the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Reloder 15 is a go to powder for me. 308 and 7mm08. Everybody cries about its temperature sensitivity. Don't see a problem in the south.
    I love RL-15 but it's been made from "unobtanium" around here for quite some time now, well before the Covid shortages.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Lot of good powder choices for the .308